Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Tank is a block of ice ?

Everything frozen in my van ? 

what’s the best heaters for on a night also best tips for keeping the van right on theses cold  nights 
Oil filled radiator or a fan heater works well if you can get electric to the van 

If you can get mains electricity to the van then an oil filled radiator is good as they usually have thermostats on and they are safe so shouldn't set anything on fire unlike a fan heater which could set a rag alight if it fell on the heater.

Again if you can get mains to van consider a 2Kw immersion heater (have a search on here). Then the heat from the tank water should keep things from freezing. If you are hand with electronics you could rig up a timer to run your pump for a short while every so often and feed your reel back to tank to circulate hot water.

If you have lots of money get a diesel heater with a frost stat.

An oil filled rad is quite popular I believe. I used to have a little 500w frost watch type heater but rarely needed it where I live.

Worth a mooch on Amazon.

what’s the best heaters for on a night also best tips for keeping the van right on theses cold  nights 
i used to use an oil filled radiator overnight but sometimes i forgot and i broke and cracked 2 gas heaters (that i was using at the time to heat my water)...

now i have a diesel heater with frost stat so i just fill up/put my batteries on charge and dont have to worry or remember to put a heater in there!

Oil filled rad for me when it's been down to -7 van has been warm enough as I had it about halfway on, you could whack it on full all tonight and it will be fine, they are easily bought from Argos or Screwfix, I think mine cost me about £30

I use a de-humidfier during the winter months. It not only prevents the water freezing it also helps to remove any moisture in the van from wet brushes, damp sill cloths etc...

I use a de-humidfier during the winter months. It not only prevents the water freezing it also helps to remove any moisture in the van from wet brushes, damp sill cloths etc...
How does a dehumidifier stop hoses and pumps freezing??? All it will do is draw moisture out of the air surely?

Oil filled rad for me when it's been down to -7 van has been warm enough as I had it about halfway on, you could whack it on full all tonight and it will be fine, they are easily bought from Argos or Screwfix, I think mine cost me about £30
Yea think im

going get one have you had yours on last night and tonight ?

How cold was it last night in your area if the tank is a block of ice? I’ve never had that happen. My pump has frozen in the past and pipes. 
The oil filled radiators are good to prevent it freezing. I popped mine in the back of the van on minimum as soon as I got in from work. Only if it was 0degrees or below though. If you can’t get hold of one quickly wrap it in an old duvet. 

Yea think im

going get one have you had yours on last night and tonight ?
Any night they say it's going to be down to 1 I put mine on about 9pm as it can always dip below freezing through the winter, always best to be safe than sorry. 

personally i dont think an oil filled radiator will be enough if your tank water is frozen!how on earth can your water be frozen?the only time this has happened to me was when it went down to -15 overnight in 2010...i was using barrels at the time and i had 10 frozen solid in the back of my van!

personally i dont think an oil filled radiator will be enough if your tank water is frozen!how on earth can your water be frozen?the only time this has happened to me was when it went down to -15 overnight in 2010...i was using barrels at the time and i had 10 frozen solid in the back of my van!
In 2009/2010 winter I had 6 inches of ice in the tank only the center if the tank was liquid it took a few weeks to totally thaw out , didn’t have hot back then ?????

It wasn't that cold up here last night, so I am guessing reels and feed hose from tank to pump was frozen, it only dipped below freezing before it snowed from about 6am till 12pm it was colder the night before but not by much, I believe he is only 15 miles up the road from me.

You know it going to be cold (its winter) ...water freezes.

Why wouldn't you protect your tank pump reels ect. It's your lively hood.

It's just common sense man.

Last edited by a moderator:
In 2009/2010 winter I had 6 inches of ice in the tank only the center if the tank was liquid it took a few weeks to totally thaw out , didn’t have hot back then ?????
I was down doing gutters, beast from the east year2017? Wasn't thinking about water in the tank as I didn't need it. 2nd morning left the hotel at the first roundabout heard an almighty thud and thought ladders or something fell off. Stopped the van to check but couldn't see anything. Jumped back in and drove off, next roundabout, about 12 miles later exactly the same thing happened so pulled over to check again, then noticed a big lump of ice in the tank. Thought if I run the genie in the back it'll warm everything up and hopefully melt the ice. Genie ran all day and stunk the cab out but block thawed a bit.

The next time I plugged my pole in, back home, water went everywhere, the pole hose must have been to close to the genie and 3 little holes had appeared which meant using a bigger pole then necessary all day.   

You know it going to be cold (its winter) ...water freezes.

Why wouldn't you protect your tank pump reels ect. It's your lively hood.

It's just common sense man.
We can have winters, especially in the south, where temperatures rarely drop much below zero. Even where I live, beside the sea, we can go most the winter without getting really cold. The tank water is usually around 6-8 degrees C so that prevents most things freezing if dropping to -1.

How does a dehumidifier stop hoses and pumps freezing??? All it will do is draw moisture out of the air surely?
You'd be surprised... warms the back of the van up pretty nicely. 

I've also stuck radiator foil on the inside of the roof and insulation behind the ply on the sides to keep the heat in.

We can have winters, especially in the south, where temperatures rarely drop much below zero. Even where I live, beside the sea, we can go most the winter without getting really cold. The tank water is usually around 6-8 degrees C so that prevents most things freezing if dropping to -1.
I understand what your saying@Part Timer

all I'm say is people should use common sense.

Latest Posts

Back