Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

TDS change from container

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Jamespf1

Hi all,

am setting up my window cleaning company and just in the process of buying the tools and equipment I need. 

At the moment what is best suited for me is a RO/DI system at home and then i would fill barrels up and work from a backpack when doing my rounds. 
The man selling me the RO system from Vyair said that I will need to get a food grade water storage tank so that the pure water doesn’t get contaminated from the material it’s made from . I wanted to use a 220L new rainwater butt as I can buy one of these £35 on eBay opposed to the proper tanks some of you have in your van for £150+. But these butts aren’t food grade and he reckons they will contaminate the pure water and affect the TDS. 

Is there anyone in my situation that collects their filtered water through a water butt and has found it to not affect the TDS level?

Many thanks 

Vyair cough, cough, that will be their sales pitch. You don’t need food grade tank. First I have ever heard of that. There will be some people on here that may use water butts for rainwater harvesting and the ppm doesn’t creep up if used within a week.

Vyair cough, cough, that will be their sales pitch. You don’t need food grade tank. First I have ever heard of that. There will be some people on here that may use water butts for rainwater harvesting and the ppm doesn’t creep up if used within a week.
Thanks for the advice 

As long as it's plastic and clean, kept out of sunlight and has a lid it will be fine. If you haven't bought it already then I'd have a word with @doug atkinsonas the water storage advice is incorrect so sounds like their "advice" is tailored towards their profit margin rather than for your benefit.
Okay thanks for the advice 

I was just going to say: first mistake @Jamespf1is making is talking to Vyair.

Thanks for the advice 

Okay thanks for the advice 
Please don't make the mistake of buying from suppliers whose business focus isn't window cleaning.

So often window cleaners buy r/o's on price. The reason why there are cheaper ones is that the suppliers can fit cheap Chinese membranes rather than the high quality USA manufactured ones which do cost more.

A membrane used in the drinks' industry doesn't have to perform that efficiently. In our industry we need the best membranes as we need to remove the highest percentage of dissolved solids in our water before we polish it off with resin.

This is why we recommend @doug atkinsonfrom Daqua.co.uk.

Most of us process water into a second hand (preowned they prefer now) 1000 litre IBC tank. Most have been used previously in the drinks' industry which, when cleaned out, are perfectly ok to use. There are many sellers of these. They will cost around £50 and possibly another £50 - £60 for transport.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back