Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Worst winter yet

Danfire

I've only been cleaning for eight years but this is by far the hardest winter I've had. Next week is also looking like a lost cause, temperatures not going above freezing all week and that's down south. It's either raining or freezing, can't catch a break.

Not much in the way of freezing temperatures down here in Kent this winter but we've had a lot of rain!  I have only lost 2 days due to the rain though and have been working through it.

Not the worst winter but the wettest yes plus snow has hampered me a lot these past few weeks I have lost a day or so every week and I'm losing £100's a week, we have had snow every week and are set to get more and that totally knackers things up, 

It has rained for 3 days although not too bad some days but it seemed yesterday it didn't let up much at all, I worked 6hrs then sacked it off by 3.30pm as I'd had enough by then. 

Looks like snow or sleet for the next four days so not looking great plus the wind around 18mph gusting up to 30mph with a wind chill factor of -6 I'll work everyday even on Saturday's if needed but the wind is going to make things rough these next few days, at least it will sort the men from the boys 

Yeah it’s been pretty rough this year. You’re probably right that it’s been the worst in about 8 years. I’ve lost a lot more time than usual this year but it’s all part of the challenge. 

@Iron Giant It can be -4, snowing and blowing a gale in June where you live ?

Not much in the way of freezing temperatures down here in Kent this winter but we've had a lot of rain!  I have only lost 2 days due to the rain though and have been working through it.
Most rain days I've kept going. Light rain is no problem but when the water freezes on the glass or I'm having to unblock frozen  water in the pole hose it's almost unfeasible.

Most rain days I've kept going. Light rain is no problem but when the water freezes on the glass or I'm having to unblock frozen  water in the pole hose it's almost unfeasible.
My main concern is leaving slip hazards behind. 
Got no issue getting cold and have in the past kept barrels inside the house overnight to increase temperature and used my backpack.
It doesn’t get above freezing till Friday lunchtime here and with wind chill it’s -10 some days. 
Think I’ll be tackling my accounts paperwork instead of working. 
Im sure her indoors will have a few jobs for me as well. Oh the joy ? 

My main concern is leaving slip hazards behind. 
Got no issue getting cold and have in the past kept barrels inside the house overnight to increase temperature and used my backpack.
It doesn’t get above freezing till Friday lunchtime here and with wind chill it’s -10 some days. 
Think I’ll be tackling my accounts paperwork instead of working. 
Im sure her indoors will have a few jobs for me as well. Oh the joy ? 
I’m the same. I used to go out in minus temperatures until I did a upvc clean and an old boy came out for a chat. I’d been skating on the water at points as it had frozen underneath me, he didn’t slip as I stopped him on the way but I realised immediately it’s not something I’d want to be responsible for. 

Not lost a single day yet in the south east. Yes there’s been plenty of rain, so I put my coat on ?.

Next week there’s snow, so will have some time off, don’t see the big deal.

I won’t try to ‘catch up’ like some people, and I certainly won’t work weekends.

This is part of the job. We earn excellent money, and I’m not taking my van out just for some balloon head to go skidding into it.

The one thing grinding my gears right now is, I was supposed to be getting on a plane with 15 lads to Tenerife this morning ??

Not lost a single day yet in the south east. Yes there’s been plenty of rain, so I put my coat on ?.

Next week there’s snow, so will have some time off, don’t see the big deal.

I won’t try to ‘catch up’ like some people, and I certainly won’t work weekends.

This is part of the job. We earn excellent money, and I’m not taking my van out just for some balloon head to go skidding into it.

The one thing grinding my gears right now is, I was supposed to be getting on a plane with 15 lads to Tenerife this morning ??

A8B7657F-3FEA-4262-850D-08851879D715.jpeg

I think it’s great. More difficult weather and conditions see so many quit.

Bad weather is tough to manage but that is the challenge of our business. Especially when every new cleaner pops up in the summer thinking they’ve found the elixir of life cleaning in their shorts, vest and sunglasses.

This is where I’m glad we are a small team because we can easily ramp up and down our cleaning volume to compensate.

Get some salt, maybe a hot system and find some work around guys and girls. Don’t let the conditions dictate your business operations. (Within reason)?

No snow yet, 5 or 6 days where’s it’s been minus till 11/noon.

But loads and loads of rain. Last two days have been so annoying, sunny one minute, really heavy shower the next. 

Not looking forward to next week work wise. 
Looks like I’ll be doing a Star Wars marathon on Disney plus ?

Part n parcel of our job!

I’ve been going since 1996, which means I must’ve got through all the awful winters previously to be going thru this one! 
I got soaked yesterday trying to finish off a block of flats, but now I’m sitting here all dry and warm with yesterday in the past, and I’m certainly not worried about what may or may not come for me next week. Whatever will be we’ll get through it. 

We’re kinda fortunate with the government grant that can help get us through this bad weather spell if we’re unable to work. 

You’re probably right this time but I’ll be there ready on Monday morning just in case. All dressed up with nowhere to go ?
Yeah. Currently it’s only getting up to 0 on Monday & Tuesday & Wednesday here. And 1 or 2 degrees on Thursday & Friday. I’ve got my van in for a full service on the Friday. Knowing my luck that’ll be the only ok day hahah. 

@RWCleaning One thing I’ve learned.. Never trust the weather forecast and never write a day off until you get up that morning. Let alone writing off a whole week in advance. I know you’re only jesting but always be prepared for things to change last minute when it comes to the weather.
Got to agree with this! I have 3 weather apps on my phone and each one can vary wildly for the same day. I’ve lost track of the number of days there was heavy rain forecast for the next day and it’s turned out fine. Nowadays I usually book the work in for the day and at least go out and try, if it turns out really bad you can always text them and say you’ll be out tomorrow instead. 

Latest Posts

Back