Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Eventually got started

Ian Docksey

So I eventually got started. (Thank god) it's taken long enough but with things how they are at the moment it's all good. 

Getting enquiries, through a few flyers dropped and Facebook ads. Yep I'm taking a fair time doing cleans, but am happy with results(no complaints, only good feedback)  I know its gonna take time to get it all going , getting a fair few customers.  Good thing is I have time while building and practicing, to get things right. Did my first job having to use 30ft pole(that was n eye opener??) . I'm happy I'm getting enquiries for quotes, yep I've not got all I'm quoting for, but that's a good thing. Yes? I'll keep plodding on as I'm going for now, dont think I need to change anything. But any advice will be gladly accepted.  

Well I think between us both its proof it's never too late. 
Do you watch worlds strongest man? I’ve been a big fan of worlds strongest man since it used to play on bbc, which is most my life there’s a couple of competitors there in their 50s. Mark felix is 54, I believe. Admittedly, they’re on all the steroids, but so is everybody else. You’d be surprised what your body can and will do to adapt to new demands. 

Yeah but Felix has been training all his adult life whether on steroids or not.
That’s true. He’s still setting world records for Grip strength events as well. If he can do it in his 50s as well as Nick best , there’s no reason anyone else in there 50s can’t put on muscle. 

I’ve looked before out of interest at when your body comes to a point where you can’t build muscle. I found a study that took men 65 years+ with no experience, and put them on a 12 week strength training regime and the results concluded at the end they were as strong as men in their 30s who didn’t weight train.

I then naturally looked to see the limit, and there didn’t seem to be one. It’s beneficial at any age. This was a few years ago now so maybe that’s changed based on new evidence. 

I  think that with people more health conscious based on everything we’ve learned, we will see more and more of this. It’ll become the norm to see people in shape in their 60s and 70s. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Someone in their 50's who has never done weights before will improve their strength and put on some muscle/ tone up without any doubt with a training plan and diet plan but they wont ever lift a fraction of what someone who has spent a lifetime training will. Felix is pretty amazing when you look at what hes lifting, majority of seasoned weightlifter/body builders have gone well into decline mode many years younger than him and I really hope he keeps on going, hes an inspiration to anyone who goes the gym (Or should I say - used to go to the gym as its banned)..

Last edited by a moderator:
Someone in their 50's who has never done weights before will improve their strength and put on some muscle/ tone up without any doubt with a training plan and diet plan but they wont ever lift a fraction of what someone who has spent a lifetime training will. Felix is pretty amazing when you look at what hes lifting, majority of seasoned weightlifter/body builders have gone well into decline mode many years younger than him and I really hope he keeps on going, hes an inspiration to anyone who goes the gym (Or should I say - used to go to the gym as its banned)..
He’s in the decline now. He has been for years. He has exceptional grip strength, even at his age, but he used to be the king of deadlifts but lost that some time ago. It comes for us all. My point wasn’t that taking up window cleaning would have you competing with Mark felix, it was that you’d put on muscle in places you’ve never rarely worked before-if you’re not a long time gym bunny, athlete etc.  

I’ve got some 60kg dumbells and a bench from a place called rebel-strength. It took 6 weeks for them to be delivered but they’re not bad. Better than nothing at all. 

With some luck the gyms will be back open end of March/start of April ?

I'm almost 65. Only 67kg but I'm still well able to work with the SLX 22. Though I now only use it for gfs and conservatories. I use an Extreme 22 for maintenance washes.

It's not all about strength. Efficient technique, grit and determination is every bit as important.

Had to do some work on van today

So covered tank with old duvet and thermo cover. It's going down to -6 this week apparently.  Hopefully all this will stop freezing up.

20210207_200726.jpg

I'm of the view that if you need to take that much effort to prevent everything freezing, then it's too cold to work!
Yep i agree, but would rather protect it all than have it freeze up. A lot invested in it all. I dont have much work on my books, I already brought forward what was booked for this week and did it on last friday..

Latest Posts

Back