Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Trying to figure things out

I've done a full week using my gardiner 22l backpack with a SLX 22" pole and I've definitely made the right choice. I'm wfp tops and trad bottom. I wouldn't say it's been much quicker. But I'm pretty sure the next time round will be quicker. The top frames were pretty mucky, ive probably over washed and having to explain to every customer what it is is im using istime consuming and boring!

The plan was to see if wfp is for me (which it is) and then if i like it, keep the back pack and invest in a van and van mount system. But with the way my round is and the amount of people staying home taking up so many parking spaces I'm wondering if i want too! 

So my next thing was, if i like the trolley system then maybe a better trolley unit exists. I found a 45l Xline unit which looks really decent. But the only things i can find on youtube are promotional videos, so i guess they aren't too popular.

I can't afford to run a van and car, so if i got a van I'd have to give up my car. Which doesn't appeal. 

The extra 20l and the computer along with the better look and trolley are appealing. But do they have a bad reputation? And do many people stick with backpack?

One problem with the 45lts trolley is the weight. The extra weight would make them less manoeuvrable and more difficult getting in and out of the car. Do you find that you have to fill up the backpack during 1 house? OK so you will use extra water on 'first cleans' but normally I would guess most 3 bed houses will be done on a single fill.

Do you have a decent trolley for your gardiner backpack?

A van mount usually has 100m of hose so parking might not be too much of an issue, also remember that on a quiet road you can lay the reel hose across the road as cars going over don't normally cause issues.

If you were to go to an van mount you might be able to increase the number of jobs you can do. Might be worth sticking with what you have for a while to see how you go speed wise? 

I use the Xline 45ltr trolley, in fact I have two. My wife uses one as well. 
You will only try to lift it in a car once when it’s full, as it’s ridiculously heavy. 

how we work is this:

lift it out when it’s nearly empty, add the water you need I.e if you need 25 Ltrs for the house add 30 ltrs.

do the fronts, with a decent length of hose (mine is 20mtrs)

its then a lot lighter and easy to wheel around the back. 

when you get back to the van it’s really light and easy to lift in. 

the only time it’s a pain is if it’s a really big house, or you have a group of houses as you have to go back to the car to top up. 

the trolleys are both 5 years old, and I’ve only ever replaced the wheels.
It’s not as good a a full van mounted setup , but it does look a bit more professional than most trolleys that look a bit “Heath Robinson “imho.

Best trolley is - Pure Freedom Nano Trolley, I dont think there is one lighter and its construction is solid. Just place a 25litre container on it and off you go. Plus the battery is lithium so no need to charge everyday. Worth getting the remote control option to save water as well.

I lasted just over 3 years with a PF trolley then went and bought an L200 and stuck a 400ltr tank in the load bed what a difference overtime I got through so much more work and never had to worry about running out of water, the art of not snagging the hose and working out how best work around parked cars etc comes with time, 

I have for almost 3 years had my combo van with a 350ltr tank in, there is absolutely no way I could do the work I do with a trolley, people holding onto cars is madness the L200 was a good compromise and I lasted over 6 years with a L200 but looking back I should have had a van a lot sooner. 

I use a pure freedom trolley after originally starting with a backpack. The main benefit to me is being able to just load a new barrel on as opposed to pouring into the backpack. A trolley suits me, I have a lot of customers who are on main roads where parking is limited and it wouldn't be physically possible to run a hose. Although I have a van, the trolley does fold flat and could be easily used in a car.

I’d stick with the plan to get a van. Yes lots of cars about at the moment but eventually more people will return to work or stop working from home. Some won’t but streets will still be clearer. Having a van mount makes life so much easier without having to fill up or grab another barrel  

Have you thought of posting a q&a sheet about wfp cleaning to your customers? Might save time having the same conversation over and over again

I lasted just over 3 years with a PF trolley then went and bought an L200 and stuck a 400ltr tank in the load bed what a difference overtime I got through so much more work and never had to worry about running out of water, the art of not snagging the hose and working out how best work around parked cars etc comes with time, 

I have for almost 3 years had my combo van with a 350ltr tank in, there is absolutely no way I could do the work I do with a trolley, people holding onto cars is madness the L200 was a good compromise and I lasted over 6 years with a L200 but looking back I should have had a van a lot 
Yeah i kinda know you're right. I just really like my car and don't like vans, at all!

I use a pure freedom trolley after originally starting with a backpack. The main benefit to me is being able to just load a new barrel on as opposed to pouring into the backpack. A trolley suits me, I have a lot of customers who are on main roads where parking is limited and it wouldn't be physically possible to run a hose. Although I have a van, the trolley does fold flat and could be easily used in a car.
Yeah I'm looking into the pure freedom now. I figure even if i go van mount it'll be a handy accessory or i could even use the parts towards the van mount. Does the pure freedom take any 25l barrel? Or does it require a specific type?

I have for almost 3 years had my combo van with a 350ltr tank in, there is absolutely no way I could do the work I do with a trolley, people holding onto cars is madness the L200 was a good compromise and I lasted over 6 years with a L200 but looking back I should have had a van a lot sooner. 
What van did you go for?

I don't know if you are into diy at all but have a look at this thread: 

It shows a great diy trolley build from @Apw1210. There is parts list and circuit diagrams etc. If you build your own it's easy to repair if it ever goes wrong as you know how it goes together plus you get to chose best parts not cheapest!!!!

I’d stick with the plan to get a van. Yes lots of cars about at the moment but eventually more people will return to work or stop working from home. Some won’t but streets will still be clearer. Having a van mount makes life so much easier without having to fill up or grab another barrel  

Have you thought of posting a q&a sheet about wfp cleaning to your customers? Might save time having the same conversation over and over again
Don't ask customers. That's asking for trouble. Most customers know little or nothing about how wfp works but they'll think they do if they're consulted.

Do your thing the way that suits you. Own yourself and your business methods. As long as you do a sterling job your methodology is for you to decide.

Don't ask customers. That's asking for trouble. Most customers know little or nothing about how wfp works but they'll think they do if they're consulted.

Do your thing the way that suits you. Own yourself and your business methods. As long as you do a sterling job your methodology is for you to decide.
Yes Totally agree. I perhaps didn’t word it correctly. More a sheet just saying how pure water cleaning works and the advantages if your finding your getting the same questions over and over. Might save you some time

Yeah I'm looking into the pure freedom now. I figure even if i go van mount it'll be a handy accessory or i could even use the parts towards the van mount. Does the pure freedom take any 25l barrel? Or does it require a specific type?

What van did you go for?
It will take any 25l barrel as far as I'm aware, it's very sturdy and is narrower than my backpack was on a trolley. It is however heavy, I don't take much notice of it, but it is something to be aware of. Especially if you do keep with the car, even in the interim. Yes the pump, controller etc could be used should you go down the van mount in the future which was one of the appeals to me.

Back