Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Changing my resin so quickly.

Becky D

Morning everyone. I have bought some unger resin Virgin mixed. Not used it for very much and the reading comes out at about 9ppm. I have watched clips on how to change resin and can't seem to see I'm doing that wrong. Do I need to fill it up to the brim leaving only room for the spout thing to settle through the resin and that's it maybe ? It is about 2/3 full. Thank You

Fill the vessel up to the neck so just below where the neck curves in at the top, then fill with water as this makes it far easier to thread the top back on fully. 

No, it doesn’t matter if it’s brim full or half full it would still produce 0pmm if it’s working right. 
It still seems like you’re running the water through the DI too quickly or the resin is dud. 

Filling a di vessel is reasonably straight forward. The issue is ensuring the riser is fitted correctly after filling the di vessel with new resin.

The riser tube is usually a push fit into the head and 'sealed' with an O ring. Its easy for the riser to fall out of the head when fitting this all together.

I like the way Squeaky Clean Dave shows how he refills his vessel.

Its better than what I used to do. I used to fill the vessel with resin, then fill it with water to make insertion of the riser easier.

I had the same thing when I first switched over, changed the resin and it was reading 15 ppm turned out I had not filled enough or packed it in tight enough so filled it more and packed it in more and 000 ppm job done hope this helps

1 hour ago, spruce said:

Filling a di vessel is reasonably straight forward. The issue is ensuring the riser is fitted correctly after filling the di vessel with new resin.

The riser tube is usually a push fit into the head and 'sealed' with an O ring. Its easy for the riser to fall out of the head when fitting this all together.

I like the way Squeaky Clean Dave shows how he refills his vessel.

You are a window cleaning guru 

I really don’t see the need for faffing around with wine bottle stops, dowls etc.

As long as once you have filled the bottle with resin, you then fill it with pure, the riser just glides through the wet resin, tighten it, job done.

Never had a single issue doing this in the 11 years when I switched to WFP ?

Last edited by a moderator:
You are a window cleaning guru 
Not really. I've just learnt the hard way. They say a wise person learns from the mistakes of others. In the early days we had very few wfper's to learn from so made plenty of mistakes and errors of judgement which hopefully we learnt from.

I hate refilling a DI vessel with resin. I loath it more than replacing prefilters. I honestly found the last resin change easier with Squeaky Clean Dave's video. I often say I get more from the forums than I give.

Not really. I've just learnt the hard way. They say a wise person learns from the mistakes of others. In the early days we had very few wfper's to learn from so made plenty of mistakes and errors of judgement which hopefully we learnt from.

I hate refilling a DI vessel with resin. I loath it more than replacing prefilters. I honestly found the last resin change easier with Squeaky Clean Dave's video. I often say I get more from the forums than I give.
Mate this forum is the best , without the forum i would of struggled to get the ball rolling 

Morning everyone. I have bought some unger resin Virgin mixed. Not used it for very much and the reading comes out at about 9ppm. I have watched clips on how to change resin and can't seem to see I'm doing that wrong. Do I need to fill it up to the brim leaving only room for the spout thing to settle through the resin and that's it maybe ? It is about 2/3 full. Thank You
Just a question, what is your tap water ppm? If it's too high, say over 70, then you are going to use lots of resin and going to have to run it through either a large resin bottle or slowly through the resin to get ppm down to 0.

No, it doesn’t matter if it’s brim full or half full it would still produce 0pmm if it’s working right. 
It still seems like you’re running the water through the DI too quickly or the resin is dud. 
The vessel needs to be full or you get channeling and the water won’t go through the resin properly thus causing a high reading .

The vessel needs to be full or you get channeling and the water won’t go through the resin properly thus causing a high reading .
I know what you mean. But the Op said the vessel was 2/3 full so I really doubt it’s the problem here. My DI’s have a line about 2/3 up the side saying “don’t fill above this line”, not that I pay any attention to it. 

I agree. What I find sad is the number of posters who are working wfper's and who haven't a clue how their systems work and have no idea how to trouble shoot a problem themselves either.
I see quite a few who ask questions whenever they need something, then they disappear until they need something again. There is so much more to learn just by getting involved in conversations on here IMO. You are a Guru though, @harunh is right!

I see you are based in London. If you are using ordinary tap water straight into the DI Vessel then Unger will not bring it down to zero as your ppm is too high. If you are using an R/O then there is a problem.

You fill your resin vessel just where it starts to curve. Do not fill it to the top.

@doug atkinson @spruce@PjjThis isn’t my DI, just a random pic but just under the brand name there is a line that says “do not fill above this line”. I always fill mine to the top so why do manufacturers say to only fill 2/3 full? It’s on all different brands too not just this particular one.

35D7A423-9E19-4E9F-8EDB-7BDDAECB7051.png

I do not think that statement comes from the manufacturer as more from the supplier.

When water enters the resin chamber it and it is not sufficiently full it circulates around the vessel. As a result not all of the water will make contact with the resin sufficiently and hence why you do not get zero ppm.

it would work if the water flow is slow but when you increase the flow rate and pressure you need more volume of resin.

@doug atkinson @spruce@PjjThis isn’t my DI, just a random pic but just under the brand name there is a line that says “do not fill above this line”. I always fill mine to the top so why do manufacturers say to only fill 2/3 full? It’s on all different brands too not just this particular one.

View attachment 23357
My di vessel was and still is a refurbished Ebay purchase that had a new riser tube fitted. There were no instructions included with the vessel apart from the water flow arrow in the head.

Back then we filled the resin to the beginning of the bend that would allow space for the riser baskets.

I did look on Cleaning Spot's website and the riser tube does seem to have very compact baskets, so leaving room for large baskets is not the answer.

There are many different uses for DI vessels outside window cleaning such as a water softener, so it could be that this is for another application - I don't know.

Seems very confusing for newbies when the equipment tells you to do one thing and anyone who uses it says another. Thanks for trying to explain chaps. I’ve tried filling to the line but normally just brim it. Only difference I’ve ever found is the fuller the vessel the longer it lasts (not because the resin lasts longer, you just put more in lol). Never had any problem with water circulating when it was just 2/3 full, worked exactly the same. I’ve also never had a problem with channeling myself but I have mine van mounted so it does run super slow and with my driving skillz the resin stays as well shaken as 007’s Martini. 

Don’t know if the Op sorted the problem but I still think having a vessel 2/3 full wasn’t it. ?

My di vessel was and still is a refurbished Ebay purchase that had a new riser tube fitted. There were no instructions included with the vessel apart from the water flow arrow in the head.

Back then we filled the resin to the beginning of the bend that would allow space for the riser baskets.

I did look on Cleaning Spot's website and the riser tube does seem to have very compact baskets, so leaving room for large baskets is not the answer.

There are many different uses for DI vessels outside window cleaning such as a water softener, so it could be that this is for another application - I don't know.
You are right on old style Water Softeners they cannot fill them as the old Clacks Heads let the resin beads through at the top.

Back