Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Pre filter recommendations

• Thread starter Deleted member 84
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 84

Hi there what 10 inch pre filters do people recommended? I currently have x2 carbon pre filter and the paperbased chlorine one.

I have two white sediment filters at the start of the system, in blue semi transparent housings. Next is the booster pump. Then a unit consisting of three 10 inch housings, each with a granular carbon filter. This unit has a pressure gauge. Next is two small ROs horizontal across the top. Finally two DI vessels, each 80% filled with Tulsion resin.

I used to have all the filtration after the booster pump. I decided to put the two sediment filters before the pump to see if it would protect the pump impeller. I think it worked as I seem to be getting better longevity from the pumps than I used to. I have a small 60 watt thermostatically controlled tube-heater that is nestled in the heart of it all when the weather is freezing. The whole lot is covered with a couple of layers of small fleece blankets. This is all fitted in a small shed by the house. The IBC is in the garage with a one inch transfer pump on the top for filling the van. 

In essence, I have one more sediment filter than I started with. One more carbon filter than I started with, and one more resin vessel than I started with. I am getting a lot more time and water between services than I was. And the booster pumps last longer.

Last edited by a moderator:
So I've bought these as this is whats currently in the set up I have.

I've since come across daqua since reading through the forums.

These pre filters are pentair CFBC -10 and the other one with no label is a pentair floplus.

The ones on daqua are 

PENTEK FIBREDYNE CFB-PLUS FILTER.

Whats the difference in the products and could I get away with running x2 of the penteks from daqua instead of the ones I've just bought.

Thanks

16129500959216236169145517721444.jpg

These pre filters are pentair CFBC -10 and the other one with no label is a pentair floplus.

The ones on daqua are 

Whats the difference in the products and could I get away with running x2 of the penteks from daqua instead of the ones I've just bought.

Thanks

View attachment 23372
I don't know enough about them to give you sound advice but I'd be pretty sure someone will. ?

I don't know enough about them to give you sound advice but I'd be pretty sure someone will. ?
thanks mate, ive just read up on the amount of water that can pass through before changing.

if somebody could tag daqua owner into this he could most probably answer.

im wanting to buy x2 of his PENTEK FIBREDYNE CFB-PLUS FILTERS

instead of the ones ive bought, can two of them run in line wiithin my system with a paper sediment before them both.

thanks mate, ive just read up on the amount of water that can pass through before changing.

if somebody could tag daqua owner into this he could most probably answer.

im wanting to buy x2 of his PENTEK FIBREDYNE CFB-PLUS FILTERS

instead of the ones ive bought, can two of them run in line wiithin my system with a paper sediment before them both.
@doug atkinson

The ones on daqua are 

Thanks

View attachment 23372
Here goes.

The Pentek Floplus is a carbon filter with a 0.5 micron rating and has the same chlorine removal service life as the Fiberdyne CFB plus filter.

The difference is that the fiberdyne has a micron rating of 5 to 10 microns. So on the face of it the Floplus is a much superior carbon block filter than the Fiberdyne one. It must be true because you paid about 3 times the price for the Floplus.

But my experience is that the Floplus will become blocked very quickly with sediment due to its fine micron rating. I once used a carbon block with a 1 micron rating and found I got 1/4 of the service life I paid for because it blocked up. 0.5 will be worse.

The first sediment filter has a micron rating of around 5 microns. This means that any particles smaller than 5 microns will pass through both filters and not block up the carbon filter. Any particles bigger than 5 micron will be caught by the sediment filter.

My advice: Use a sediment filter and a Fiberdyne filter and stick to the service life of 37800 litres, which is both waste and pure.

I have two white sediment filters at the start of the system, in blue semi transparent housings. Next is the booster pump. Then a unit consisting of three 10 inch housings, each with a granular carbon filter. This unit has a pressure gauge. Next is two small ROs horizontal across the top. Finally two DI vessels, each 80% filled with Tulsion resin.

I used to have all the filtration after the booster pump. I decided to put the two sediment filters before the pump to see if it would protect the pump impeller. I think it worked as I seem to be getting better longevity from the pumps than I used to. I have a small 60 watt thermostatically controlled tube-heater that is nestled in the heart of it all when the weather is freezing. The whole lot is covered with a couple of layers of small fleece blankets. This is all fitted in a small shed by the house. The IBC is in the garage with a one inch transfer pump on the top for filling the van. 

In essence, I have one more sediment filter than I started with. One more carbon filter than I started with, and one more resin vessel than I started with. I am getting a lot more time and water between services than I was. And the booster pumps last longer.
I run booster pump before the filters but never considered the booster packing up. It cost loads. Im not a big producer so hopefully will last me out. I really wish that spotless were near me for many reasons.

I run booster pump before the filters but never considered the booster packing up. It cost loads. Im not a big producer so hopefully will last me out. I really wish that spotless were near me for many reasons.
Move the pump to between filters and RO. It will save the pump wearing out as fast although it might slow down your production a fraction.

The ones on daqua are 

Thanks

View attachment 23372
If you are interested read this https://windowcleaningforums.co.uk/topic/28233-wcw-for-ro-filters/#comments as @spruce has said the smaller micron will block up more easily and you'll never get the stated service life, I discovered this to my cost. 

The ones on daqua are 

Thanks

View attachment 23372
The CFBC is 0.5 micron so will reduce your pressure and flow rate. Also they will not last that long.

The water needs to be warm to run through those filters as water molecules will be smaller when warm.

I have spoken to quite a few people with regard to these filters as it has slowed their production down. The did order CFB PLUS 10 from the supplier but for some reason the supplier is sending out these instead and if they had any knowledge they would know it is not suitable.

You need a Pentair CFB PLUS 10 which is 5 micron.

Also be aware of suppliers claiming their Filter is the same when it’s not.

The CFBC is 0.5 micron so will reduce your pressure and flow rate. Also they will not last that long.

The water needs to be warm to run through those filters as water molecules will be smaller when warm.

I have spoken to quite a few people with regard to these filters as it has slowed their production down. The did order CFB PLUS 10 from the supplier but for some reason the supplier is sending out these instead and if they had any knowledge they would know it is not suitable.

You need a Pentair CFB PLUS 10 which is 5 micron.

Also be aware of suppliers claiming their Filter is the same when it’s not.
Thank you so I have 3 pre filters would you put x2 cfb plus 10 instead of my current set up.

Speed wise its not an issue 

But cost is. 

Don't want the membranes getting damaged  and I don't want to over spend on carbon filters for no reason

Thanks all for your help

Thank you so I have 3 pre filters would you put x2 cfb plus 10 instead of my current set up.

Speed wise its not an issue 

But cost is. 

Don't want the membranes getting damaged  and I don't want to over spend on carbon filters for no reason

Thanks all for your help
Sediment first filter then CFB PLUS and if you want to fill third filter add a sediment 

Hi all,

my Ro system currently produces 30Tds before it goes into the DI vessel. Will it benefit me if I add a extra pre filter before it goes into the DI vessel? If so which filter would be best? 

My TDS out the tap is 340

thanks 

Hi all,

my Ro system currently produces 30Tds before it goes into the DI vessel. Will it benefit me if I add a extra pre filter before it goes into the DI vessel? If so which filter would be best? 

thanks 
Read all of this post, now merged!!

Hi all,

thanks 
Changing prefilters might help. The prefilters themselves will make very little difference, but if your filters are old and/or blocked water flow through the filter will be restricted. This will reduce the pressure on the membrane to work efficiently. The result of a less efficient membrane will be a higher pure tds output.

The prefilters are there to protect the membrane against sediment and chlorine. Chlorine damages membrane material. If you haven't been replacing your prefilters according to the manufacturers specifications then this could be one reason why your tds output from the r/o is so high.

A good quality membrane when new should remove between 97 and 98% of the dissolved solids from your water. Yours is removing around 90%. Its was generally suggested that the time to replace membranes was when the rejection rate drops to 94%. Polishing off 30tds with resin must be costing a lot in resin.

When running an r/o you need to ensure your r/o is 'tuned' to run as efficiently as possible. With your tap water tds I would think that whilst processing you would need to set your waste to pure ratio at between 2 to 3 waste to 1 pure. This would need to be fine tuned to achieve your r/o's sweet spot. Mine is at around 55 waste to 45 pure but our tap water tds is around 130ppm. The other important factor is water pressure. If your tap water pressure is low then you need to take other initiatives to increase that such as a booster pump.

So guys I've fitted all new 3 pre filters

The water out of the membranes was 8 ppm now its 17ppm

I flushed the pre filters out as per manufacturer instructions and without them connect to the membranes I also checked on the membranes to make sure no carbon bits had got in. They where fine

So nothing has changed that should be making any difference all pre filters where like for like with what was in.

Any tips please

Thank you 

Take out the CFBC filter and see if it improves as in this cold weather .05 micron will reduce the pressure going to the membrane.   This is what I was saying in the beginning.

Back