Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

I can't play poker but I'm pretty good at snap

How old are they @P4dstar
The SLX30 is a year and a half, the extreme has only been in use since July, bought it in January last year but couldn't bring myself to use it for a long time ?

Just to be 100% clear this is completely my fault, not in anyway a reflection of Gardiners quality. I used the Xtreme to close a window and one of my lads used the SLX in the same way. Both snapped at the top of section 2. I maintain the poles regularly, literally take them completely apart and clean and change the tape weekly. I do my best to keep the pole hose clean but I live in the countryside, a lot of the gardens we work in are rough. I guess this is an occupational hazard.

Footage secured of Paddy today

source.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
The SLX30 is a year and a half, the extreme has only been in use since July, bought it in January last year but couldn't bring myself to use it for a long time ?

Just to be 100% clear this is completely my fault, not in anyway a reflection of Gardiners quality. I used the Xtreme to close a window and one of my lads used the SLX in the same way. Both snapped at the top of section 2. I maintain the poles regularly, literally take them completely apart and clean and change the tape weekly. I do my best to keep the pole hose clean but I live in the countryside, a lot of the gardens we work in are rough. I guess this is an occupational hazard.
Hmm that’s pretty unlucky. Seems to be a nice roll how long the last. I sold my old extreme 18 in the autumn, was 2&half years old and wasn’t always maintained. But never snapped ?‍♂️

someone on here said shut a window with the pole upside down, you can get the end with the pole hose hole on the end cap wedged onto the corner of the frame sometimes and shut it nicely. I’ve done that a few times now. 

someone on here said shut a window with the pole upside down, you can get the end with the pole hose hole on the end cap wedged onto the corner of the frame sometimes and shut it nicely. I’ve done that a few times now. 
Surely that puts way more strain on the thinner sections? Not only are you closing the window but the thinner sections are supporting the heaviest sections of the pole with it upside down or have I missed something?

Surely that puts way more strain on the thinner sections? Not only are you closing the window but the thinner sections are supporting the heaviest sections of the pole with it upside down or have I missed something?
Hmm Yeah maybe. I extended the bottom sections as much as possible, with top/thinner sections as less as possible.
But ultimately the poles are not made to close windows. 

I reckon Ryan's playing a prank on me, he wants to see me go 3-0 ?

Footage secured of Paddy today

Oddly enough when it goes you do think for a split second that its gone through the window!

Hmm that’s pretty unlucky. Seems to be a nice roll how long the last. I sold my old extreme 18 in the autumn, was 2&half years old and wasn’t always maintained. But never snapped ?‍♂️

I do think a lot of it comes down to the areas you work. I know that you do a fair amount of villages though so maybe its something else. I wish I could work out where I'm going wrong. I also find my van ends up full of mud and bits of tree etc, I've seen pics of other peoples vans that look much cleaner than mine!

I don't understand why anyone uses a pole to close a window. There's absolutely no need. I wash several open windows every working day. Just stay within the frames and stay against the glass. It's quite impossible to get water inside the house if this is done right.

I don't understand why anyone uses a pole to close a window. There's absolutely no need. I wash several open windows every working day. Just stay within the frames and stay against the glass. It's quite impossible to get water inside the house if this is done right.
What about if the bigger window underneath the little opener window is open? They often open side ways, and water would go down in behind 

If necessary I'd leave the very top small windows. The customers are always told the day before that we're coming. If they don't have the sense to close the windows, so be it. The main windows are no trouble usually as I stay within the frames. I've never been challenged. If I ever am I'll deal with it as politely and pleasantly as I can. We don't have the time or inclination to be knocking on doors asking them to close windows. And I'm not going to take a chance on breaking several hundred pounds worth of pole. We might ask them on a rare occasion if they are just inside a window and I can signal them to please close an upstairs window or two.

Last edited by a moderator:
If necessary I'd leave the very top small windows. The customers are always told the day before that we're coming. If they don't have the sense to close the windows, so be it. The main windows are no trouble usually as I stay within the frames. I've never been challenged. If I ever am I'll deal with it as politely and pleasantly as I can. We don't have the time or inclination to be knocking on doors asking them to close windows. We might ask them on a rare occasion if they are just inside a window and I can signal them to please close an upstairs window or two.
Fair enough. We’re all different. I’d rather clean all the windows than leave some just because they’re open. If it’s too stiff to close which is unusual, I’d knock on the door and ask.
But hey what do I know ? I’m just a window cleaner ?

Fair enough. We’re all different. I’d rather clean all the windows than leave some just because they’re open. If it’s too stiff to close which is unusual, I’d knock on the door and ask.
But hey what do I know ? I’m just a window cleaner ?
There there, don't put yourself down. To quote Monty Python, Life of Brian: Yes! We are all different! ?

Like this for example :

The top bay window

View attachment 23387

The pane on the left, of the top bay. Unless you closed the lower pane, you’d get water inside from cleaning the little one above. 
I was just about to reply with this scenario and call @Davy G a smart ar5e ??? Thats what happened with the Xtreme pole. In the past I've tapped stiff windows shut, no problems at all, I can confidently tell you this week was the coldest I've ever worked in though. It must be down to the temperatures in some way. Yesterday, despite sticking a heater in the van for an hour the hoses were frozen, took half an hour to get going. On the last job we could complete the hose froze while accessing a flat roof. Much of the same today by the look of it.

On the left, my extreme 22 - Snapped on Monday. On the right my SLX 30 - snapped today. I imagine the cold weather didn't help. Let this be a warning to you all, don't close windows with your pole, especially in minus temperatures ?

View attachment 23384
That's just where they like snapping, it's the bottom of the section above rubbing against the top of the lower section if not properly maintained that's where they snap it's very similar with the old metal banded sections. 

Best to have some spares, well the old metal banded sections anyway I have few in reserve. 

That's just where they like snapping, it's the bottom of the section above rubbing against the top of the lower section if not properly maintained that's where they snap it's very similar with the old metal banded sections. 

Best to have some spares, well the old metal banded sections anyway I have few in reserve. 
I just don't know where I'm going wrong in maintaining it though. The only other thing I can think to do is blast it through with a hose every night like Steve Garwood says.

I was lucky I had a spare pole, my Phantom 30. I hadn't set it up so unfortunately we lost an hour going back and sorting that out. Keeping spares for poles about or even spare poles themselves is an expensive deal though.

Back