Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Has anyone had this injury?

Baldmonkey

When I first started getting busy and doing a lot of fsg and conservatory cleans I suspect I hurt/pulled a chest muscle, went to the hospital (as directed by the doctor) due to sore chest but also intermittent breathlessness, they found nothing wrong after two visits as it took around 16 weeks to finally go.. Been 6 months and I did some really heavy lifting last week and it's come back, been to A&E (again as our doctors won't open) and again they found virtually nothing wrong. 

A doctor told me that muscle strains or tears usually take 10 weeks or so to heal but seeing as I'd carried on working through it, it was possible that it could have taken 14 to 16 weeks to initially heal enough. 

Is this a common ailment with wfp work? Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
A muscle tear untreated will leave scar tissue which will make you susceptible to getting the same injury. I believe after rest you should get some physio / massage to soften the scar tissue which in turn should reduce the chance of it happening again. Personally never had a muscle strain doing WFP work though.

Not WFP buy many years ago I carried a small sofa up some stairs. As the stairs were narrow I sort of held out in front of me, the arm was against my chest, weight out in front. The next day I couldn't get out of bad, turned out I had pulled the muscles across my chest! It took about 2 months to not have pain when lifting stuff. So it's definitely possible to pull chest muscles and for them to take a long time to heal.

Hope you feel better soon.

A muscle tear untreated will leave scar tissue which will make you susceptible to getting the same injury. I believe after rest you should get some physio / massage to soften the scar tissue which in turn should reduce the chance of it happening again. Personally never had a muscle strain doing WFP work though.

Not WFP buy many years ago I carried a small sofa up some stairs. As the stairs were narrow I sort of held out in front of me, the arm was against my chest, weight out in front. The next day I couldn't get out of bad, turned out I had pulled the muscles across my chest! It took about 2 months to not have pain when lifting stuff. So it's definitely possible to pull chest muscles and for them to take a long time to heal.

Hope you feel better soon.
I think I'm some sort of muscle man at times, the one I think did me last year was my slx35 out full and trying to hold it virtually horizontal over a conservatory. That was with a universal sill brush on too... I have some titage but not much muscle ????

I think I'm some sort of muscle man at times, the one I think did me last year was my slx35 out full and trying to hold it virtually horizontal over a conservatory. That was with a universal sill brush on too... I have some titage but not much muscle ????
Both my son and I developed belly button hernias swinging a 47' fibreglass pole around.

i had something similar but it was from weight training. Eventually went.. Sometimes it takes a longtime. Recovery rate worsens with age..

When I first started getting busy and doing a lot of fsg and conservatory cleans I suspect I hurt/pulled a chest muscle, went to the hospital (as directed by the doctor) due to sore chest but also intermittent breathlessness, they found nothing wrong after two visits as it took around 16 weeks to finally go.. Been 6 months and I did some really heavy lifting last week and it's come back, been to A&E (again as our doctors won't open) and again they found virtually nothing wrong. 

A doctor told me that muscle strains or tears usually take 10 weeks or so to heal but seeing as I'd carried on working through it, it was possible that it could have taken 14 to 16 weeks to initially heal enough. 

Is this a common ailment with wfp work? Thanks
I had a very sore chest muscle injury some years ago that came on suddenly after a couple of unusually heavy days sea kayaking in the West of Ireland. It was like someone grabbing and squeezing one area of my rib cage. I googled the symptoms and identified it 100% accurately as Intercostalitus~inflammation of the muscles between the ribs from overwork. It eased and cured after several months.

I have also had rotator cuff injuries on both shoulders caused by wrenches while kayak surfing. I sorted these injuries homebrew, by steadily and carefully stretching and holding.

I have a small hernia 2 inches above my navel, the result of 5 weeks coughing day and night after major Oesophagectomy surgery and a deflated lung just over a year ago. I wear a hernia belt all the time now except in bed as I've been told it won't be repaired. I have other stuff related to the surgery that I had put in this post but I decided to edit it out. I decided it was probably too heavy reading for some people.

FINALLY, in answer to your question... I've never had an injury from wfp working. Oh yes I have. About 4 years ago I got my wedding ring stuck on a ridge on a ladder rung as I was stepping off the second rung. It dug in as far as the bone. Four hours in A&E and a few stitches followed. Tip: I will never again wear a ring while working. I was lucky not to strip the flesh off my finger.

Ahh well! Gotta laugh. As I say to my wife. "Never better!" ??

I've had had plenty of injuries over the years from weight training and wfp have aggravated some of them but I wouldn't say they were caused by wfp.  I'm prone to tennis and golfer's elbow problems and they simply won't go away!

Whereabouts mister?
Atlantic Coast of County Clare mostly, out of Kilkee as I lived nearby, and Loop Head. Cliffs of Moher was another stomping ground. And the mouth of the Shannon estuary out of Cappa. Other areas as well, Galway, Kerry, Mayo.

Atlantic Coast of County Clare mostly, out of Kilkee as I lived nearby, and Loop Head. Cliffs of Moher was another stomping ground. And the mouth of the Shannon estuary out of Cappa. Other areas as well, Galway, Kerry, Mayo.
Lovely, you're not Irish though?

Did you ever meet Fungi?

Lovely, you're not Irish though?

Did you ever meet Fungi?
Haha! Irish by decent. Both parents grew up in West Clare, spent 30 odd years in North West London. They returned to Ireland in the mid 70s. I was born, and grew up in London. Lived in Clare for a total of around 18 years or so, split between two times.

Yes, I met Fungi for the first time around 1987-8. I met him a few times in the following years. Sadly, I haven't seen him since. He's an old boy now I guess. He was estimated to be middle aged at the time I saw I think. Over 30 years, from memory. Definitely made a mark on my soul.

I tore my rotator cuff 8 years ago. Waited 9 months for my op. Keyhole surgery, shaved bones, titanium screws etc, never had a problem with it since. Only difference is I can reach slightly higher with my other arm.
I never had surgery. I managed to fix it with extremely careful and increased movement stretches and less gentle massaging to break down and soften the scar tissue. I'm not recommending it. Hurt terribly and was probably quite risky.

Haha! Irish by decent. Both parents grew up in West Clare, spent 30 odd years in North West London. They returned to Ireland in the mid 70s. I was born, and grew up in London. Lived in Clare for a total of around 18 years or so, split between two times.

Yes, I met Fungi for the first time around 1987-8. I met him a few times in the following years. Sadly, I haven't seen him since. He's an old boy now I guess. He was estimated to be middle aged at the time I saw I think. Over 30 years, from memory. Definitely made a mark on my soul.
My clan are from Tralee.  You're very lucky to have experienced living over there!

You didn't see the news last year?  Fungi has disappeared sadly after some 37 years of life in Dingle's harbour.

My clan are from Tralee.  You're very lucky to have experienced living over there!

You didn't see the news last year?  Fungi has disappeared sadly after some 37 years of life in Dingle's harbour.
Oh no! I didn't realise that Fungi had disappeared. That's very sad. I do have some great memories of him. I used to get out to see him at first light before the tourist boats. He'd be excited like a puppy in the morning. I used to capsize my kayak and drift along upside with the tide with a snorkeling mask on. He'd be clicking and whistling and come close enough that I could touch him.

I used to travel from Limerick to Swindon on Slattery's coaches of Tralee years ago before National took over. All of the area of Kerry is beautiful. Especially the Dingle Peninsula.

It was nice living in Ireland, especially for the sea angling and later when I took to see kayaking. But I couldn't make a worthwhile living.

I last saw him in 2014 but like you, I first saw him in the 80s when he first appeared.  The whole of Ireland is gorgeous and ever since I was a child, I have always wanted to live there but as you say, jobs are limited out there and there are too many people out of work.  I would love to retire there though but I think I would get fed up with the weather in Co Kerry!

I had a very sore chest muscle injury some years ago that came on suddenly after a couple of unusually heavy days sea kayaking in the West of Ireland. It was like someone grabbing and squeezing one area of my rib cage. I googled the symptoms and identified it 100% accurately as Intercostalitus~inflammation of the muscles between the ribs from overwork. It eased and cured after several months.

I have also had rotator cuff injuries on both shoulders caused by wrenches while kayak surfing. I sorted these injuries homebrew, by steadily and carefully stretching and holding.

I have a small hernia 2 inches above my navel, the result of 5 weeks coughing day and night after major Oesophagectomy surgery and a deflated lung just over a year ago. I wear a hernia belt all the time now except in bed as I've been told it won't be repaired. I have other stuff related to the surgery that I had put in this post but I decided to edit it out. I decided it was probably too heavy reading for some people.

FINALLY, in answer to your question... I've never had an injury from wfp working. Oh yes I have. About 4 years ago I got my wedding ring stuck on a ridge on a ladder rung as I was stepping off the second rung. It dug in as far as the bone. Four hours in A&E and a few stitches followed. Tip: I will never again wear a ring while working. I was lucky not to strip the flesh off my finger.

Ahh well! Gotta laugh. As I say to my wife. "Never better!" ??
Man thank gosh your a windy ....because that sounds like the worst dating app profile introduction EVER! ?

Back