Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Trolly v van mounted

It saves a lot of lifting van mount. Less organisation as you dont have to stand there filling up twenty containers eveyday. Chances are you will always need a backpack as they are very handy for certain properties or if there is dog muck sometimes it's easier to use the backpack than risk trailing the hose in it.

I think I am faster with using a backpack though..Just refilling slows me down..

I find I'm using the backpack more and more, so many cars on drives etc. I put a 12v bilge pump in the tank, fills in about 20 seconds ?

Yeah don't blame you mate it saves all the arsing about with hoses past motors. I should get a pump to refill of my tank to speed up refilling.

It saves a lot of lifting van mount. Less organisation as you dont have to stand there filling up twenty containers eveyday. Chances are you will always need a backpack as they are very handy for certain properties or if there is dog muck sometimes it's easier to use the backpack than risk trailing the hose in it.

I think I am faster with using a backpack though..Just refilling slows me down..
Yeah I can see advantage of not lifting, though I normally spend 30 minutes on a Sunday, fill 26 barrels into van, a week's worth. 

Not keen on using 100m of hose, bad enough using 30m

It of course depends on where you live but you'll find van mount gets easy after some time. We use both. Mainly the van mount is used for the fronts while the trolly is used for the backs, but that's two of us working. Not gonna lie, if I have a day I'm on my own I'm booking the work which I can do just using the van mount ?

I like the idea of not having to move barrels but only use 6/7 a day and have enough on with 30m yet alone 100m?? plus would have to move van at least twice as much?
Don't get ride if your trolly. Use it along side. And get a quick fill to fill the trolly from the van mount. 

It of course depends on where you live but you'll find van mount gets easy after some time. We use both. Mainly the van mount is used for the fronts while the trolly is used for the backs, but that's two of us working. Not gonna lie, if I have a day I'm on my own I'm booking the work which I can do just using the van mount ?

Don't get ride if your trolly. Use it along side. And get a quick fill to fill the trolly from the van mount. 
I totally agree. 

I have some jobs in which having van mount (particularly with electric reel) makes the job so much easier. But it works the other way round as well, I have some jobs where just grabbing the backpack saves time over trying to snake the hose round a thousand tyres and plant pots ?

Van mount isn’t ideal for all jobs , but now we only take on wirk that will work with our set up , advantages of a van mount is speed we have water on the window within seconds of pulling up , far less lifting , instant water no re filling or changing barrels ( been there and done that ) and limit less water . I would use the trolley fir the odd job if you want to take that type of work on or for  applying chemicals for gfs work . 

Most of my work are detached properties, I manage to leave trolly on road and get to all the house, also kitted it so I can carry about 50L so I don't have to move van often. 

Most of my work are detached properties, I manage to leave trolly on road and get to all the house, also kitted it so I can carry about 50L so I don't have to move van often. 
I wouldn’t want to be lifting drums in and out of a van all day ??? we use 1000 ltr per day that’s a lot of barrels ???

I think I did approx 1 and a half years with barrels before getting a van mount. Having the van mount paid for itself within about 6 months in terms of how much more work I could get through in the same amount of time. A lot of my work is terraced houses where I still need to fill a backpack to go through the house, even then, the van mount makes a huge difference. My back is also happier with less lifting. 

I started off with trolley

month later i dismantled my trolley and turned it to a van mount lol

Both are good. I had trolley for seven years & the best thing is you can move it to another vehicle if off the road, while van mount is stuck in. But overall is definitely quicker with van mount & saves carrying containers as so annoying/ plus steps with a trolley ? oh & pumps don't last cos u always try to go for smaller one

I like the idea of not having to move barrels but only use 6/7 a day and have enough on with 30m yet alone 100m?? plus would have to move van at least twice as much?
Trust me u will want a van mount soon, click my profile read my first ever posts, i was a trolley head like u ? i was talking myself into using trolley as a permanent fixture but it just doesnt work, trust me u will end up van mounting it later on 

I believe it's down to the individual and their work.  I've used a trolley since I switched to WFP in 2007, and can say with certainty that overall it's quicker and easier and less hassle on most of my work.  I have two mates who started with a van system because they were told it's quicker and easier, but they have very similar rounds to me.  Within a couple of years they were both using trolleys for almost all their work.

I'd say that for most, a van system is likely to be quicker and easier.  But for some, you won't beat a good trolley if you are well organized.

I believe it's down to the individual and their work.  I've used a trolley since I switched to WFP in 2007, and can say with certainty that overall it's quicker and easier and less hassle on most of my work.  I have two mates who started with a van system because they were told it's quicker and easier, but they have very similar rounds to me.  Within a couple of years they were both using trolleys for almost all their work.

I'd say that for most, a van system is likely to be quicker and easier.  But for some, you won't beat a good trolley if you are well organized.
Yeah I agree,after 30 years I know my work, I currently think trolly is best right now but like to look at all the options.... Just wondered if I was missing something.... 

Yeah I agree,after 30 years I know my work, I currently think trolly is best right now but like to look at all the options.... Just wondered if I was missing something.... 
If you have been using a trolly for 30 years I take my hat off to you I did it for  a few weeks and it was hard work and very slow , van mount made life so much easier 

Back