Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Power up 3D hard to pull out

best

I purchased 2 power up 3D units and I find them harder to pull out than my previous diy chain drive reels.

previously on my diy unit I would attach the tap to my belt and walk away from the van with no resistance . Now when i walk away from the van I can feel it pulling. Spoke to waterworks and they suggested wd4o on the bearings which did not help. I was slightly confused at that suggestion as it is advertised as sealed bearings. 
the hose does come out when pulled and maybe There is no problem ,but I do find it harder on my work day than before. If I loosen the belt slightly it will slip on the last few rotations.

All in all it’s a great reel and if this is the way it is I will stop looking for answers and get on with it.

Any suggestions

Strange I don’t find them hard to pull up and ours go through a roller system , I feel they are good reels , bit slow on re wind and not much torque but they are the only electric reels we have used that haven’t broken  down after a very short time , there will obviously be a bit more resistance as you are pulling the motor and belt round but it’s certainly not difficult unless you have a problem with your reels ???

I purchased 2 power up 3D units and I find them harder to pull out than my previous diy chain drive reels.

previously on my diy unit I would attach the tap to my belt and walk away from the van with no resistance . Now when i walk away from the van I can feel it pulling. Spoke to waterworks and they suggested wd4o on the bearings which did not help. I was slightly confused at that suggestion as it is advertised as sealed bearings. 
the hose does come out when pulled and maybe There is no problem ,but I do find it harder on my work day than before. If I loosen the belt slightly it will slip on the last few rotations.

All in all it’s a great reel and if this is the way it is I will stop looking for answers and get on with it.

Any suggestions
I'm sure they would know the bearings were sealed. If you have hose guides under the van then those rollers need to be lubricated from time to time.

Sometimes you speak to someone on the end of the phone who answers a question with authority but actually hasn't a clue what they are talking about. A few years ago I spoke to a woman in the technical department of Citroen HQ in Coventry. I simply asked if bodies of the Citroen Relay generation from 2007 were galvanised dipped during manufacture.

She emailed me back saying those vans do not have galvanised dipsticks. ?

"We hope this was a satisfactory answer to your question and please feel free to contact us in the future should you need further assistance."

Needless to say, I didn't bother.

Last edited by a moderator:
Spoke to waterworks and they suggested wd4o on the bearings which did not help. I was slightly confused at that suggestion as it is advertised as sealed bearings. 
If an engineering company ever suggests using WD40 as a lubricant run a mile!!!

WD40 has to be one of the most misused products on the market. It's not great at many things at all. It's OK as a releasing agent (plusgas is better), it is good as a moisture dispersant (distributor caps on old cars). It also reacts with some plastics and causes them to swell!!! 

Sorry for rant, I have a bit of an issue with WD40. Probably years of testing fuels and lubricants for a living ? 

If an engineering company ever suggests using WD40 as a lubricant run a mile!!!

WD40 has to be one of the most misused products on the market. It's not great at many things at all. It's OK as a releasing agent (plusgas is better), it is good as a moisture dispersant (distributor caps on old cars). It also reacts with some plastics and causes them to swell!!! 

Sorry for rant, I have a bit of an issue with WD40. Probably years of testing fuels and lubricants for a living ? 
The marketing of a product to get wide acceptance is very difficult. CocaCola and Pepsi keep advertising to keep their product to the fore in their customer's minds.

Yet somehow WD40 has gained a wide acceptance for the wrong application and I don't even recall ever seeing or hearing a single advert.

The marketing of a product to get wide acceptance is very difficult. CocaCola and Pepsi keep advertising to keep their product to the fore in their customer's minds.

Yet somehow WD40 has gained a wide acceptance for the wrong application and I don't even recall ever seeing or hearing a single advert.
AC-90 at £3 a can has just dented WD40's sales and they will probably have to reduce their price.

No. Don’t think so. AC 90 is years and years old mate. The original company was set up in the late 60’s. Hasnt just dented anything. 
I thought it was just out. First time I seen it at Toolstation I bought a few cans for £3 each. Didn't notice a difference with wd 40 so the next time at Toolstation I bought another 4 / 500ml cans for less than £12, great value.

Any suggestions
They have a tensioner so you can adjust mine is a bolt the right hand side under the hose behind the faceplate maybe that’s what they meant by spraying wd40? 

They have a tensioner so you can adjust mine is a bolt the right hand side under the hose behind the faceplate maybe that’s what they meant by spraying wd40? 
That tensioner is to adjust the belt tension it won’t alter the resistance when pulling the hose out 

Back