Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

How to use the poles

I rinse off the glass unless its at height. At height I tip the brush to one side and run it along the top of the glass. If I can't get a curtain of water down the glass I rinse off, even at 40'.

I have always done this. We started off with flocked Vikan Ovals and rinsing on never gave the best results.

I always rinse on the glass. No matter what the type of glass. I have no doubt that for me rinsing on the glass is better and quicker for my way of working. The water is better controlled and focused on the glass. Rinsing on combines the rinse with a final, as often as I can, horizontal agitation which I believe adds to the speed and efficacy. In the case of almost all hydrophobic glass it breaks the surface tension and in most cases when it does it forms temporary micro-sheets which I believe are better at removing and draining down any remaining dirt than rinsing off. This can be seen on phobic glass by first rinsing off the glass and seeing the way it mists and beads. Then, as a comparison rinse on the glass and in almost all cases the bristles break the surface tension. This ruptures the beads, and temporary micro-sheeting can be clearly seen before they close up again, by which time the last of the dirt will be gone with the water that has run down. I use a swivel and I do the agitations with vertical movements on the glass. I do the rinse-down with the brush on its side and with the action of a descending wiper blade to give a bonus combined horizontal agitation and rinse if the glass is wide enough.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ground floor it makes little difference but rinsing on may be slightly faster. First floor up you are putting unneccesary extra strain on your neck and shoulders.

Back