Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Wfp on poorly maintained timber frames

Jamespf1

Hi all,

Practicing my wfp technique and have had a set back when cleaning Timber frame windows. I have noticed I get a lot of milky spots. The frames are poorly maintained with paint chipping away. Should I expect this to happen? And would it be better to trad them? I clean the frames and sills. 

does this happen with all timber frames or is it just poorly maintained ones or is it the type of paint used? 

if a customers wants me to clean the dirty timber frames can I use ubix on them? 

thanks ?  James

Hi all,

Practicing my wfp technique and have had a set back when cleaning Timber frame windows. I have noticed I get a lot of milky spots. The frames are poorly maintained with paint chipping away. Should I expect this to happen? And would it be better to trad them? I clean the frames and sills. 

does this happen with all timber frames or is it just poorly maintained ones or is it the type of paint used? 

if a customers wants me to clean the dirty timber frames can I use ubix on them? 

thanks ?  James
As a new window cleaner wfp, if you get approached by someone whose house has badly deteriorated wooden window frames, just pass it over. Wfp isn't the answer to every window cleaning problem. Forget tradding it, you are now a wfp cleaner. Offering to trad them is making a rod for your back.

What you are experiencing is oxidation of the remaining paint on the frame. It has broken down and becomes chalky. The chalk is absorbed into the water and runs down the glass you have just cleaned.

Eventually after several cleans you might get on top of it, but mostly you are just chasing your tail. You will spend ages on the first clean and it will probably look worse when it dries than before you started.

Last edited by a moderator:
As a new window cleaner wfp, if you get approached by someone whose house has badly deteriorated wooden window frames, just pass it over. Wfp isn't the answer to every window cleaning problem. Forget tradding it, you are now a wfp cleaner. Offering to trad them is making a rod for your back.

What you are experiencing is oxidation of the remaining paint on the frame. It has broken down and becomes chalky. The chalk is absorbed into the water and runs down the glass you have just cleaned.

Eventually after several cleans you might get on top of it, but mostly you are just chasing your tail. You will spend ages on the first clean and it will probably look worse when it dries than before you started.
Thank you for that bit of info. Was driving me crazy seeing it happen over and over again. 

So is this down to the paint used or is this the case of most timber frame windows? 

thanks ??

We would clean the frames on the first visit and rinse them off then just go over the glass again and rinse this will normally fix the problem , if the frames are that bad just do the glass next time and only do the frames when needed , we wfp everything we wouldn’t trad it , with practice you will learn over time how to deal with things like this , anodised aluminium frames can be very similar . 

Personally I inform such people that I will not clean their windows if their wooden frames are in poor state but then what do I know, I'm just a newbie!

Thank you for that bit of info. Was driving me crazy seeing it happen over and over again. 

So is this down to the paint used or is this the case of most timber frame windows? 

thanks ??
We have quite a number of wooden frame windows and conservatories we clean that are well maintained. There is no problem with them.

Over the years we have also dealt with poorly maintained wooden frames. I won't take on new customers if the frames aren't in good condition. The conditioni of their window frames is their problem, not mine. 

I have loads of houses like this (clean lots of old farmhouses) and, as others have said, just clean the glass only. Once in a while (when they need it) I'll give the frames a going over but, otherwise, you're setting yourself up for a headache ?

Hears one we did today it’s the office for a nursing home we do frames falling to bits but the glass never spots or smears we do frames and glass each time although the frames look terrible they won’t clean up. Its not letting me post a picture ???

Hears one we did today it’s the office for a nursing home we do frames falling to bits but the glass never spots or smears we do frames and glass each time although the frames look terrible they won’t clean up. Its not letting me post a picture ???

6791F52E-29B0-4538-BFF1-4C26F5840B05.jpeg

5F4664DE-9147-49FB-A77F-4E0DC528DB6D.jpeg

Back