Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Turning water off when scrubbing

Jamespf1

Hi all,

I currently use a method of turning the water off when scrubbing the glass to save water. Is this a good method or not? I have noticed when I go to rinse the glass it takrs longer to create a sheeting effect than if I was to scrub with the flow on. So am I just contracting myself by doing this? I use fan jets 90% of the time.

The reason I turn the water off is because I work from 25L barrels and a backpack and try to use a little water as needed per house. I do use a high flow rate when rinsing. 

many thanks 

James

Hi all,

I currently use a method of turning the water off when scrubbing the glass to save water. Is this a good method or not? I have noticed when I go to rinse the glass it takrs longer to create a sheeting effect than if I was to scrub with the flow on. So am I just contracting myself by doing this? I use fan jets 90% of the time.

The reason I turn the water off is because I work from 25L barrels and a backpack and try to use a little water as needed per house. I do use a high flow rate when rinsing. 

many thanks 

James
We used to have Window cleaner (now retired) who had a flocked brush on the end of his pole. 

He used to 'wash' the windows with what moisture was trapped in his brush and then do a quick partial rinse. The results were disgusting. He only carried 3 x 25 liters drums of water for a full days work.

When we first went wfp I would inspect each window to ensure that they were clean and steak free before leaving the customer.

This is the only way of judging if the method you are using works.

My son prefers to use a backpack even although we have a 2 man system. He used to give the window a quick wet down, turn off the water to scrub and then switch it back on to rinse to save water. I notice he doesn't do it anymore. He also uses fan jets.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all,

many thanks 

James
All depends on how dirty windows are to start and what finish you can achieve with your method. There are many different methods of using wfp. As long as you get a good finish and custy is happy then all good. 

Might be worth testing on your own windows at home if you use more water scrubbing with water on vs more rinsing? That way you can also see finish?

If they are filthy use Gardiner Universal Hot brush, the best brush for getting dirt off, I have the flow rate pretty high even if I am using a backpack. No flow or low flow takes longer and I end up using more water. If your using barrels take a couple of tap water ones to use as a prewash on filthy windows then use your pure to finish off with. Once you have done the first clean you should be fine.

All depends on how dirty windows are to start and what finish you can achieve with your method. There are many different methods of using wfp. As long as you get a good finish and custy is happy then all good. 

Might be worth testing on your own windows at home if you use more water scrubbing with water on vs more rinsing? That way you can also see finish?
Cheers am finding it easier to clean when scrubbing with water on but save so much water with water cut out. 

this won’t leave hard water spots will it? My water around here is 350ppm. Or is it okay as I’m rinsing the tap water 10minutes later with pure water? (Don’t want the problem I’ve had - see below) 

Just Made the rookie error of practicing my pole technique at home with tap water. Gave them a pure clean the next day and finding it hard to shift the hard water spots! Herd I should spray a bit of  limescale remover on my brush??? 

james 

It might work but I personally feel if the water is flowing whilst scrubbing you are rinsing the dirt away as it comes off the glass with your technique you are simply spreading it around and asking for spotting issue , but using barrels I understand why you might do it that way .

Cheers am finding it easier to clean when scrubbing with water on but save so much water with water cut out. 

this won’t leave hard water spots will it? My water around here is 350ppm. Or is it okay as I’m rinsing the tap water 10minutes later with pure water? (Don’t want the problem I’ve had - see below) 

Just Made the rookie error of practicing my pole technique at home with tap water. Gave them a pure clean the next day and finding it hard to shift the hard water spots! Herd I should spray a bit of  limescale remover on my brush??? 

james 
I assume you are not cleaning custys window with tap then rinsing with pure?

There are many techniques that work, some better than others, some use more water than others. Really it's up to you but remember custys will be inspecting your work from the inside which is much easier to spot problems. 

Best to practice on your own windows and see the results. Pure isn't expensive even if buying it, so worth spending a few £££ practice on your own. It will help confidence, skill and speed so it's a worthwhile investment.

Look at Squeeky Clean Dave or AE Mackintosh on youtube, they have some good vids.

Hi all,

many thanks 

James
If you want to conserve water try 1.5mm pencil jets or 100 degree fan jets, fan jets create a full width spray and I personally find those a lot better for overall speed, but speed will come with time, 

This coming from me who started of with a trolley and using 1mm pencil jets which I said I would never change from them as I knew I was conserving water with 1mm jets, but I can manage up to 30 houses with 350ltrs of water 

I only do that when I'm cleaning an upstairs and I don't want to flood below with water. It just makes the job more difficult tbh and would never do it if I had the choice. I would rather use plenty of pure but I have an RO and don't have a meter so no money involved.

There’s a few jobs I do that I turn the water off during scrubbing, the ones with realllly bad snail trails every time without fail. I don’t know if it’s in my head but it seems to get rid of them a lot quicker, I imagine down to the increased friction.

Back