Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Hypo mix for cons

Jamespf1

Hi all, 

Got my first conservatory clean tomorrow. Will start using Ubix and if I come across any stubborn areas was thinking to use Hypo 14-15%.

could someone suggest what mix I should try for the hypo if it comes to it?

has anyone had any problems with ubix and lead? As I know that hypo and lead don’t mix... 

seen a few people say they mix a bit of hypo with their ubix? Good idea or not? And if yes what ratios are you using?

I see some people on YouTube use a pressure washer? Shouldn’t ever come to that surely? 

is £25p/h about the going rate for a exterior con clean?

many thanks, James

I wouldn't use any ratio more than 10-1 hypo mix. Maybe less if your using 14-15% hypo. 

Also, I wouldnt recommend using a pressure washer, I had a few regular window customers have a go at their conservatorys over the summer as they were off work. Every one managed to create a leak in the roof ?

Shouldn’t need hypo and certainly not a pressure washer... Ubik and pure water for the final rinse will be fine. 

With regards to pricing that’s way off, that’s even on the low side for regular window cleaning, should be aiming for at least double that for a conservatory. 

Hi mate... welcome to the world of exterior cleaning... please take criticism in a positive way and u will learn a lot and u will go far in this business ? so first of all....

You got a first conservatory clean and your planning on using Hypo ? Mate i suggest you put your plan in the bin ASAP , You dont even know the going rate.... and your messing with hypo..... Hypo is not a joke and is serious mate it can cause a lot of damage in several ways.... i mean u dont even know the basics( pricing a job up ) never mind using hypo(for the experts only)

Im getting into hypo after 8 years of cleaning... and i been researching hypo for 12 months... and my hypo cleaning will launch in 1-2 weeks... im still researching hypo till this day... u cant just use hypo like that... u need to research it otherwise u can do damage to yourself or even your customers propertys. Hypo is not a joke mate, its a serious chemical that is not to be taken lightly.

1: U dont need hypo to clean a conny roof mate... just use TFR or UBIK or u can even use any type of cream cleaner or virosol and a bit of elbow grease and the jobs a good en. U do not need to use hypo on plastics,, i would never use hypo on plastics... theres other chemicals that are safer and more environment friendly  and do a top immaculate job.
2: I would never use a pressure washer on a conservatory roof,  theres a good job u will damage the conservatory which will leave u out of pocket, u may see these videos on youtube but half of them are clueless mate.
3: Stay away from Hypo and use the chemicals i suggested they are very good chemicals and do a top job.... and i suggest u start researching hypo.... Hypo is not a thing u can just buy and splash it here and there it needs to be handled with caution , i understand there is a few cowboys who use hypo and dont have a clue but they are only putting themselves and there own business at risk.

To clean a conservatory roof just clean with pure water first... wet the surface... then apply the chemical above that i suggested... scrub it up... and let it sit for 20 mins and then after that scrub n rinse until your satisfied - i do a few of these via this method and the customers love it.

Theres a few hypo gurus on here mate and they will agree with me an they can also point u in the direction - @Pjj

I am very nervous about going in to hypo cleaning myself even after all my research and im a very confident person i mean i got a 7 van fleet in the space of 8 years so im not a daft lad ?? and im still researching hypo after 12 months till this day..... so that tells u how serious Hypo is... hope my post helps u ? Any questions mate just ask.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can use hypo on plastics , sometimes it will remove the greying effect   Sometimes it doesn’t , but you do need to know what you are doing   If you use to stronger mix it will turn white plastic yellow, but if rinsed off well it will revert back to white within a couple of hours or so , it’s good for killing green algi spores around gutter brackets if you just use Virosol the plastic will look clean but behind the brackets the green algi will still be there and come back quite quickly a hypo mix will go in behind and kill it off , if you are unsure of strength to use get a spray bottle of flash with bleach from the supermarket and use that you won’t cause any harm with that and it will just about kill the algi off . Using 10-15% hypo on plastics is a no  no it needs diluting and all the appropriate PPE used at all times , unless ones are experienced in using this I would be very careful with what you do with it , you can cause damage to the property ,yourself , and the customer . 

Hi mate... welcome to the world of exterior cleaning... please take criticism in a positive way and u will learn a lot and u will go far in this business ? so first of all....

You got a first conservatory clean and your planning on using Hypo ? Mate i suggest you put your plan in the bin ASAP , You dont even know the going rate.... and your messing with hypo..... Hypo is not a joke and is serious mate it can cause a lot of damage in several ways.... i mean u dont even know the basics( pricing a job up ) never mind using hypo(for the experts only)

Im getting into hypo after 8 years of cleaning... and i been researching hypo for 12 months... and my hypo cleaning will launch in 1-2 weeks... im still researching hypo till this day... u cant just use hypo like that... u need to research it otherwise u can do damage to yourself or even your customers propertys. Hypo is not a joke mate, its a serious chemical that is not to be taken lightly.

1: U dont need hypo to clean a conny roof mate... just use TFR or UBIK or u can even use any type of cream cleaner or virosol and a bit of elbow grease and the jobs a good en. U do not need to use hypo on plastics,, i would never use hypo on plastics... theres other chemicals that are safer and more environment friendly  and do a top immaculate job.
2: I would never use a pressure washer on a conservatory roof,  theres a good job u will damage the conservatory which will leave u out of pocket, u may see these videos on youtube but half of them are clueless mate.
3: Stay away from Hypo and use the chemicals i suggested they are very good chemicals and do a top job.... and i suggest u start researching hypo.... Hypo is not a thing u can just buy and splash it here and there it needs to be handled with caution , i understand there is a few cowboys who use hypo and dont have a clue but they are only putting themselves and there own business at risk.

To clean a conservatory roof just clean with pure water first... wet the surface... then apply the chemical above that i suggested... scrub it up... and let it sit for 20 mins and then after that scrub n rinse until your satisfied - i do a few of these via this method and the customers love it.

Theres a few hypo gurus on here mate and they will agree with me an they can also point u in the direction - @Pjj

I am very nervous about going in to hypo cleaning myself even after all my research and im a very confident person i mean i got a 7 van fleet in the space of 8 years so im not a daft lad ?? and im still researching hypo after 12 months till this day..... so that tells u how serious Hypo is... hope my post helps u ? Any questions mate just ask.

Thank you very helpful! I’ve used the stuff a lot with roof cleaning and I know it’s good stuff. Just wanted to know if there’s anything stronger I can use incase the ubix doesn’t do the job... thank again 

Thank you very helpful! I’ve used the stuff a lot with roof cleaning and I know it’s good stuff. Just wanted to know if there’s anything stronger I can use incase the ubix doesn’t do the job... thank again 
The ubik will do the job trust me... Ubik is in the top tier of plastic cleaners, i never used it myself but the chemicals i use are no where as near as powerful as UBik according to the research ive done,,, any TFR will do the damage to be honest, But ill give u a tip... buy some CIF from your local supermarket... very under rated and its powerful ;)  Hope that helps.

You can use hypo on plastics , sometimes it will remove the greying effect   Sometimes it doesn’t , but you do need to know what you are doing   If you use to stronger mix it will turn white plastic yellow, but if rinsed off well it will revert back to white within a couple of hours or so , it’s good for killing green algi spores around gutter brackets if you just use Virosol the plastic will look clean but behind the brackets the green algi will still be there and come back quite quickly a hypo mix will go in behind and kill it off , if you are unsure of strength to use get a spray bottle of flash with bleach from the supermarket and use that you won’t cause any harm with that and it will just about kill the algi off . Using 10-15% hypo on plastics is a no  no it needs diluting and all the appropriate PPE used at all times , unless ones are experienced in using this I would be very careful with what you do with it , you can cause damage to the property ,yourself , and the customer . 
Using hypo on plastics for a newbie is risky business lol , I mean considering hes a newbie all it takes is to get the mix ratio wrong , i would say u need experience using hypo before u start putting it on plastic.  

I'm now in my second year cleaning, I definitely would not be using hypo. Too much can go wrong unless you know what you're doing, its just not worth the risk. As others have said, UBIK will be more than adequate. Wet the surface first, apply the ubik whether its via a backpack or similar, or simply dip the brush into a square bucket mix, scrub and wait. Then rinse and rinse some more.There is no need to use neat ubik, dilute with tap water and a 5l bottle will last you many, many jobs. I would also say, dont be tempted to cover the whole roof in one go, work in small sections. I would also add, whatever time you have allocated, double it for your first few. Once you get up to speed it gets easier, but especially if its a glass roof it will take a lot longer than you think.

Using hypo on plastics for a newbie is risky business lol , I mean considering hes a newbie all it takes is to get the mix ratio wrong , i would say u need experience using hypo before u start putting it on plastic.  
I used hypo on an fsg including conny roof and a 2nd roof yesterday and know what I'm doing through experience as I use it all the time for similar jobs and render cleans etc.

Definitely would not advise a new guy to use it though. 

Also no one has thought of the damage that can be caused by throwing copious amounts of chemical on a leaking roof ending up all over the conservatory floor etc.

Even @Pjj has put photos of hypo damage on the forum to warn people and he has a fair bit more experience than me.

I used hypo on an fsg including conny roof and a 2nd roof yesterday and know what I'm doing through experience as I use it all the time for similar jobs and render cleans etc.

Also no one has thought of the damage that can be caused by throwing copious amounts of chemical on a leaking roof ending up all over the conservatory floor etc.

Even @Pjj has put photos of hypo damage on the forum to warn people and he has a fair bit more experience than me.
Just don't mention the door and the can of spray paint ?

Yes very true I took the coating off a pair of anodised doors done hundreds before and never a problem , I certainly don’t view myself as an expert but do have a lot of experience in using hypo on a variety of surfaces , surprisingly I have caused more damage using TFR than with hypo , hears the  puctures again of the hypo damage ???luckily as an ex sprayer panel beater I was able to rub it down and re spray the doors customer was more than happy with the results , but it could have been a very costly repair . 

C75EC6D9-93D1-40EE-9C64-127F01455D34.jpeg

5BA69961-89AD-48DB-8678-E3B0F1ED04CF.jpeg

Latest Posts

Back