Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Beginner Gutter System Complete Setup Advice

Daniel Perkins

Premium Member
Been thinking about getting gutter cleaning for awhile (Honestly about 2 years now lol) and start off with something small likes Atom Mighty or I see GVS have the Panther & it seems a 1700w Limited edition panther coming out. It would be for residential work so reading through what you guys have said on here the above should be capable? I have a VW Caddy with a 350l tank in so a compact vac system is pretty much a must from a size perspective.

I have trawled through dozens of threads & I know alot of these have been covered across these various threads and apologies if answering the stuff is a bit tedious but I thought putting it all in one thread might be beneficial for starters or potential starters like myself. So in saying that, a few questions if you don't mind:

1) Aluminum vs Carbon Pole - What's the general consensus on weight vs rigidity vs breakage? Also, what height would be suitable for 2 or 3 story jobs? I do like the Elite pole vac release, I would curious to know if you guys used this regularly.

2) Genny choice - Adequate for the above powered vacs or similar? Several guys on here have talked about risks plugging into customers homes which would make me a bit wary. Honda seems to be popular but I see a few people have gone the amazon route.

3) Cameras - from what I can gather on here sky vac camera is pretty average/ not sure about GVS cameras. I like the idea of being able to inspect the guttering before and after and maybe whilst working.  Some people have recommended GO pro or SJ's and then clamping them to the pole. I see see GVS have several clamping options which is good. Both sky & GVS seem very expensive though.

4) Ladders - Now I got into WFP to avoid ladders but I do recognise that sometimes you just have to use them. Just wondering from the seasoned gutter guys would you be getting out the ladders on a regular basis or rarely?

5) Customer service - Sky ac vs GVS

If I have missed anything, please feel free to chip in, any advice or info is more than welcome. I just wanted to get informed opinions before I fork out a couple of grand. Cheers 

Last edited by a moderator:
A lot of the above is solely down to how much you want to spend. My personal thoughts are 

(1) Carbon are better as they're lighter but if you're only doing a couple of houses here and there then aluminium will suffice. Just be careful with the quick release as I cracked mine, I was trying to lift it from the floor fully extended though. 

(2) Depends on size of vac you get but remember the vac will need more power on start up.

(3) If you're not recording then Sky Vac have an inspection system that should be enough for surveying and checking after.

(4) These are as and when required, make sure they have a safe base and buy a stand off.

(5) Never used GVS, but the rep on here makes all the right noises. Used Spinaclean and have always had very good service.

The cameras that the gutter vac people sell are, in my opinion, expensive for what they are. That said it depends on how techy you are, if you just want something that works well enough without any playing about then they are great.

Personally I would use a GoPro (I have a session 5, but any gopro would be great) or SJ4000(genuine) but I have both those (quad copter flying). I have used both for gutter inspections via apps on my Android phone. They both work very well and can transfer recordings to phone wirelessly so you can show customers via your phone as although SJ4000 has screen it's small.

As for holding your phone someone, sorry can't remember who, posted this wrist mount  which looks a great idea as you have a bit of movement in your wrist while working so can adjust the angle to reduce glare.

Genny wise the GVS Panther at 1700watts should be OK with a decent brand that will do a sustained load of 2Kw double check the continuous load as some quote a peak load fig as headline!!! 

While I don't have a Skyvac or GVS vac but the fact that @GVS Julia Martin posts here speaks volumes about customer service. I don't think spinaclean have ever posted here!!!!

As for poles - I believe the carbon ones are slightly more fragile - but only in the sense that if you are careless or have employees they might not last well but they are much better to reduce fatigue if you do lots of gutters a day.

The cameras that the gutter vac people sell are, in my opinion, expensive for what they are. That said it depends on how techy you are, if you just want something that works well enough without any playing about then they are great.

Personally I would use a GoPro (I have a session 5, but any gopro would be great) or SJ4000(genuine) but I have both those (quad copter flying). I have used both for gutter inspections via apps on my Android phone. They both work very well and can transfer recordings to phone wirelessly so you can show customers via your phone as although SJ4000 has screen it's small.

As for holding your phone someone, sorry can't remember who, posted this wrist mount  which looks a great idea as you have a bit of movement in your wrist while working so can adjust the angle to reduce glare.

Genny wise the GVS Panther at 1700watts should be OK with a decent brand that will do a sustained load of 2Kw double check the continuous load as some quote a peak load fig as headline!!! 

While I don't have a Skyvac or GVS vac but the fact that @GVS Julia Martin posts here speaks volumes about customer service. I don't think spinaclean have ever posted here!!!!

As for poles - I believe the carbon ones are slightly more fragile - but only in the sense that if you are careless or have employees they might not last well but they are much better to reduce fatigue if you do lots of gutters a day.
Cheers ched, I came across that wrist mount and it's a cracking idea & yeah I think I will get a camera myself. The genny is something I don't know anything about & obviously I don't want to make a mistake by buying one that doesn't cut it, at the same time I don't want to spend a small fortune on it either.

I did see Julia's posts on here which is very encouraging alright as it's such a bonus to get good customer service.

Not being disrespectful to GVS but Spinaclean are the market leaders by a country mile and sell worldwide. I don't think they need to post on here but without a good product and good customer service wouldn't be where they are.
You are right but I prefer smaller companies as they can give you personal attention and have more of a vested interest in their products. Sometimes the bigger companies are stuck in their ways as they don't see smaller companies as competition so don't innovate to stay in front. Sometimes they are not bothered about an odd issue as in the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter to them. 

There is always a balance ? 

Currently we sell non electrical globally.  We haven’t the facilities where we are to facilitate global distribution. However we are relocating this year and are in discussions behind the scenes to take our systems globally with distributors who have contacted us. 

I’ll cover the poles and camera.

We do not sell the 44mm carbon fibre composite poles with any of our cyclonic machines. We feel with higher airflow a more rigid and robust pole is required for tougher debris. Our composites are a 50% carbon fibre and 50% fibre glass mix, they’re a 1.5m pole and weigh 330g. There is minimal movement when you squeeze them but that said, we’d rather the 51mm poles with cyclonics.

The 51mm 100% carbon fibre poles we have currently are a push fit 1.5m taper weighing 360g. We have clamped carbon launching next month too. Carbon are a lighter pole but they do take more looking after so if you’re heavy handed - these aren’t for you.

We have the lightest 1.2m aerospace aluminium gutter vacuum pole on the market at 500g per pole. There are aerospace aluminium out there which are a different grade and can be up to 800g each pole - these makes a difference on the operative holding the poles. Aluminium allow you to be more aggressive on rooted gutters and if you have labourers working with them, then they’re a better pole. 

Carbon and aluminium both have their place. 

With cameras, we sell two at the moment. 
One camera connects via radio frequency to a colour recordable monitor. It has infrared capabilities. We have a video on this on our YouTube though we later removed the spring clip and replaced with a more heavy duty bracket which holds the camera more securely.  This kit is £325.

The other camera is a 4k UHD camera, this connects to your mobile with its very own WiFi using the XDV app for live feed, stills and videos. Again we have a video on setting this up on our YouTube and I will make a more in-depth video soon. This kit is £130. Picture quality I feel this is a better quality camera being 4k.

Both camera kits are supplied with secure mounted brackets, WFP brackets, two batteries for the 4k and remote control. The monitor has a secure pole bracket and the 4k a heavy duty mobile phone bracket. Both are supplied with a protective aluminium case and are available for both our 44mm and 51mm pole systems. The camera brackets are larger to sit back on the silicone swan which also acts to secure the nozzle attachment in place too. Nobody wants to loose their nozzle and camera in the gutter!

We are currently waiting for customs clearance on our 1400w Panther, of which there is a 10% discount across the entire range. 

The Limited Edition is the Panther in Orange, so it’s the colour that’s limited edition and there are 100 of those. These will have the 1700w motor. 

All future Panthers will then be 1700w. We would advise a 3kVA generator if you have no access to electricity.

I hope this helps ? Julia 

Last edited by a moderator:
Been thinking about getting gutter cleaning for awhile (Honestly about 2 years now lol) and start off with something small likes Atom Mighty or I see GVS have the Panther & it seems a 1700w Limited edition panther coming out. It would be for residential work so reading through what you guys have said on here the above should be capable? I have a VW Caddy with a 350l tank in so a compact vac system is pretty much a must from a size perspective.

I have trawled through dozens of threads & I know alot of these have been covered across these various threads and apologies if answering the stuff is a bit tedious but I thought putting it all in one thread might be beneficial for starters or potential starters like myself. So in saying that, a few questions if you don't mind:

1) Aluminum vs Carbon Pole - What's the general consensus on weight vs rigidity vs breakage? Also, what height would be suitable for 2 or 3 story jobs? I do like the Elite pole vac release, I would curious to know if you guys used this regularly.

2) Genny choice - Adequate for the above powered vacs or similar? Several guys on here have talked about risks plugging into customers homes which would make me a bit wary. Honda seems to be popular but I see a few people have gone the amazon route.

3) Cameras - from what I can gather on here sky vac camera is pretty average/ not sure about GVS cameras. I like the idea of being able to inspect the guttering before and after and maybe whilst working.  Some people have recommended GO pro or SJ's and then clamping them to the pole. I see see GVS have several clamping options which is good. Both sky & GVS seem very expensive though.

4) Ladders - Now I got into WFP to avoid ladders but I do recognise that sometimes you just have to use them. Just wondering from the seasoned gutter guys would you be getting out the ladders on a regular basis or rarely?

If I have missed anything, please feel free to chip in, any advice or info is more than welcome. I just wanted to get informed opinions before I fork out a couple of grand. Cheers 
1: I would say what ever height you are working at go for  carbon , I have carbon and aluminium ones they are a nightmare, especially at shallow angles over conservatories of shallow pitched roofs . The vac pole is good but can be delicate ask @Part Timer about it ??? I do find sometimes with a big turf that just opening the vac pole the turf still needs pulling out of the pole as it’s gone in to far to fall back out but I do think it’s worth having .

2:Genie wise you won’t go wrong with a Honda and step Hill genie if you are using a smaller powered vac then you shouldn’t have issues with blowing customers electric it’s only the 3000 ,3600 ,4200 watt ones that cause an issue . If you can use the customers electric it will save you a lot of money and give you more space in the van , I do t like relying on the customer I like to be self sufficient. 

3: I have the sky vac camera it’s ok but not great picture quality if buying a GVS vac I would look at there cameras as well . 

2:

4: ladders will still be needed on certain jobs especially swan neck down pipes 

5: sky vacs customer service is brilliant , cannot comment about GVS as not bought anything from them yet , but they seam helpful on hear so hopefully they would be ok if you had any issues .

Currently we sell non electrical globally.  We haven’t the facilities where we are to facilitate global distribution. However we are relocating this year and are in discussions behind the scenes to take our systems globally with distributors who have contacted us. 

I’ll cover the poles and camera.

We do not sell the 44mm carbon fibre composite poles with any of our cyclonic machines. We feel with higher airflow a more rigid and robust pole is required for tougher debris. Our composites are a 50% carbon fibre and 50% fibre glass mix, they’re a 1.5m pole and weigh 330g. There is minimal movement when you squeeze them but that said, we’d rather the 51mm poles with cyclonics.

The 51mm 100% carbon fibre poles we have currently are a push fit 1.5m taper weighing 360g. We have clamped carbon launching next month too. Carbon are a lighter pole but they do take more looking after so if you’re heavy handed - these aren’t for you.

We have the lightest 1.2m aerospace aluminium gutter vacuum pole on the market at 500g per pole. There are aerospace aluminium out there which are a different grade and can be up to 800g each pole - these makes a difference on the operative holding the poles. Aluminium allow you to be more aggressive on rooted gutters and if you have labourers working with them, then they’re a better pole. 

Carbon and aluminium both have their place. 

With cameras, we sell two at the moment. 
One camera connects via radio frequency to a colour recordable monitor. It has infrared capabilities. We have a video on this on our YouTube though we later removed the spring clip and replaced with a more heavy duty bracket which holds the camera more securely.  This kit is £325.

The other camera is a 4k UHD camera, this connects to your mobile with its very own WiFi using the XDV app for live feed, stills and videos. Again we have a video on setting this up on our YouTube and I will make a more in-depth video soon. This kit is £130. Picture quality I feel this is a better quality camera being 4k.

Both camera kits are supplied with secure mounted brackets, WFP brackets, two batteries for the 4k and remote control. The monitor has a secure pole bracket and the 4k a heavy duty mobile phone bracket. Both are supplied with a protective aluminium case and are available for both our 44mm and 51mm pole systems. The camera brackets are larger to sit back on the silicone swan which also acts to secure the nozzle attachment in place too. Nobody wants to loose their nozzle and camera in the gutter!

We are currently waiting for customs clearance on our 1400w Panther, of which there is a 10% discount across the entire range. 

The Limited Edition is the Panther in Orange, so it’s the colour that’s limited edition and there are 100 of those. These will have the 1700w motor. 

All future Panthers will then be 1700w. We would advise a 3kVA generator if you have no access to electricity.

I hope this helps ? Julia 
Thanks for all the info Julia, appreciate that. 

1: I would say what ever height you are working at go for  carbon , I have carbon and aluminium ones they are a nightmare, especially at shallow angles over conservatories of shallow pitched roofs . The vac pole is good but can be delicate ask @Part Timer about it ??? I do find sometimes with a big turf that just opening the vac pole the turf still needs pulling out of the pole as it’s gone in to far to fall back out but I do think it’s worth having .

2:Genie wise you won’t go wrong with a Honda and step Hill genie if you are using a smaller powered vac then you shouldn’t have issues with blowing customers electric it’s only the 3000 ,3600 ,4200 watt ones that cause an issue . If you can use the customers electric it will save you a lot of money and give you more space in the van , I do t like relying on the customer I like to be self sufficient. 

3: I have the sky vac camera it’s ok but not great picture quality if buying a GVS vac I would look at there cameras as well . 

2:
A wealth of information as per usual. Thanks very much, I have an idea of what I need to get now. 

A wealth of information as per usual. Thanks very much, I have an idea of what I need to get now. 
I’d go for the 1700w panther, it sounds like a winner to me. I have a gutter sucker junior with the side inlet and it’s a great little machine for the residential properties I clean. Doesn’t take up a lot of space in the van and I use the customers electricity. 

I’d go careful with the gutter camera. I had one I bought off ebay that used the xdv app and every time I tried to use it  latency was high, WiFi would jump in out, it would frequently crash my iPhone 8 which would take about 15 minutes to before it turned back on and one of the batteries blew up after a couple of uses. 

If you’re going for a camera I agree with @ched999uk and would use a GoPro. It’ll cost more but you know what you’re getting will work. 

Back