Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Probably never have a frozen van again.

M Clean

I know this is a bit late after the big freeze has gone.
But I thought I would share what I do so as to not have any cold related problems.
My van is on the street so can't have electric to it.
So I use a car tyre inflator to purge all the water out of my system and using a gate valve I am able to clear the tube from my tank. As I use hozelock connections, I remove my pump to the house.
I had an old tyre pump and put on a male hose tail coupling. (Picture)

By using a nylon reducing connector I am able to join a Series 21 Female hose coupling to the hose with the aqua stop connector. I just connected to my system and clear out all the water.
When clearing the pipe to the tank, once I turn on my pump. I close the valve mid way and this allows the air to stay in the tube instead of water.
It works for me.

And I suppose, that's about it.

20210220_185049.jpg

20210220_184935.jpg

Do you not find you get air locks when you reconnect?

I used a cycle track pump and fitted a car tyre valve to a 15mm brass tee when we had a static caravan to blow through the pipes when left over winter (open all year so lots of winter trips). It worked great but when turning the water back on, on arrival there was always air in pipes and taps used to splurge a bit at first.

get a CHinese diesel heater if you can’t get a electric cable to your van, cheap as chips and you can run them on heating oil approx 40p per litre. 

With regards to an airlock I don't have a problem. On my set up I have a gate valve just after my stream-flo pump. After turning it on I open and close the valve to allow the pump to create a pressure as without doing this, it would pump though air. I hope you can picture what I am describing.

As this method is done when I've finished work on a freezing night. There isn't any need to add heat and possible condensation as there's nothing to freeze.

Back