Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Calibration & Pump Pulsing DE

So guys,

Since changed to power HD reel I've struggled to get my calibration right.

It seems I've found the level perfectly bar few issues.

Only issue I notice now is my calibration is set to start cleaning but soon as my pole is extended to clean higher windows the de light comes on and off and the water pulsates. Soon as the pole is collapsed it works fine.

Now the normal rule would be to turn the cal up to get the water coming through which that does work. But then I get the PS light instead of DE.

I just find my first house of the day it cycles in and out but after my first house is done it slowly gets better through the day. How do I fix this?

How do people calibrate there pressure? I'd anyone out there who uses analogue controller for advice?

So guys,

Only issue I notice now is my calibration is set to start cleaning but soon as my pole is extended to clean higher windows the de light comes on and off and the water pulsates. Soon as the pole is collapsed it works fine.

Now the normal rule would be to turn the cal up to get the water coming through which that does work. But then I get the PS light instead of DE.

I just find my first house of the day it cycles in and out but after my first house is done it slowly gets better through the day. How do I fix this?

How do people calibrate there pressure? I'd anyone out there who uses analogue controller for advice?
It's been covered countless times over the last few weeks do a quick search

So guys,

Mines analogue, spring controller. Ive never calibrated it as such, just turned the power **** up higher to get more pressure.

ks789 said:
Mines analogue, spring controller. Ive never calibrated it as such, just turned the power **** up higher to get more pressure.
power/flow switch then. wouldnt let me type **** 

So guys,

Hi Edward. There is no mention of the flow rate your using in the original post. Also has the ID of the hose on the reel changed? Or is the hose wound on to the reel tight. If the Hose ID has reduced this will have an impact on the system in that the hose capacity to carry water is reduced.

The controller is responding to the changes in the system So rather than only turning cal up you may need a combination of slightly lower flow rate and higher cal. Also When trying to set cal a suggestion is to run some hose off the reel and if possible stand the pole up or lean it against the van door. Then set flow to about 50% or 60% turn the cal dial all the way to the right then slowly back to the left until the DE LED lights then back to the right so the LED goes off. Having the pole standing helps get a more accurate cal value for the flow. If Flow and cal are both high the controller becomes less sensitive to DE and instead high pressure causes the pump pressure switch to activate and teh controller is showing that. The answer is to turn the flow rate down slightly

Also check hose connectors for any that may be a little loose fitting as this can effect pressure. Also check and pole valves/Univalve are fully opening and not sticking as this will cause pressure to build up

If the hose is wound tightly onto the reel this will mean the hose can not expand properly and this effects the pressure in the hose generated by the pump as the pump has to work harder against the restriction. You may also find that as the temps warm and after a little use the hose will soften slightly and expand quicker.

Hi Edward. There is no mention of the flow rate your using in the original post. Also has the ID of the hose on the reel changed? Or is the hose wound on to the reel tight. If the Hose ID has reduced this will have an impact on the system in that the hose capacity to carry water is reduced.

The controller is responding to the changes in the system So rather than only turning cal up you may need a combination of slightly lower flow rate and higher cal. Also When trying to set cal a suggestion is to run some hose off the reel and if possible stand the pole up or lean it against the van door. Then set flow to about 50% or 60% turn the cal dial all the way to the right then slowly back to the left until the DE LED lights then back to the right so the LED goes off. Having the pole standing helps get a more accurate cal value for the flow. If Flow and cal are both high the controller becomes less sensitive to DE and instead high pressure causes the pump pressure switch to activate and teh controller is showing that. The answer is to turn the flow rate down slightly

Also check hose connectors for any that may be a little loose fitting as this can effect pressure. Also check and pole valves/Univalve are fully opening and not sticking as this will cause pressure to build up

If the hose is wound tightly onto the reel this will mean the hose can not expand properly and this effects the pressure in the hose generated by the pump as the pump has to work harder against the restriction. You may also find that as the temps warm and after a little use the hose will soften slightly and expand quicker.
Hi Ian.

This is an old issue that started in October 2020.

Cheers Ian think I've sorted it. Think my flow rate was way too high than it needed to be its on about 4 now. I spoke to someone at window cleaning warehouse and they thought that was too low flow rate wise. But seems to still be enough flow for cleaning the windows. I have half inch hose from the tank to the pump then same from the pump to the reel. Then its 6mm hose then down to 5mm pole hose. 

Cheers Ian think I've sorted it. Think my flow rate was way too high than it needed to be its on about 4 now. I spoke to someone at window cleaning warehouse and they thought that was too low flow rate wise. But seems to still be enough flow for cleaning the windows. I have half inch hose from the tank to the pump then same from the pump to the reel. Then its 6mm hose then down to 5mm pole hose. 
If you have a flow rate of 4 then you must have an old Varistream. 

Spring controllers break the flow rate into portions of 100 where Varistream divide their's into portions of 10.

@Ian Sheppardworks for Spring which is a different company manufacturing a different product.

I have my Varistream calibration settings just below the factory default of C. Using microbore and 5mm pole hose 4 is the highest flow setting I can get before it starts to pulse.

If I turn the builder on then I can increase the flow  to 5 no problem using hot water as the water is thinner and the hose less stiff.

Hi Edward Just to clarify Is this the controller you have. https://windowcleaningwarehouse.co.uk/collections/pumps-and-controllers/products/wcw-easy-analogue-flow-controller

If it is then as the earlier post the changes to the Reel and hose will change the flow volumes and a combination of turning the flow rate down and slightly increasing the Cal will see you get similar flow volumes to before the reel was changed.

A high Flow and Cal rate can make the controller less sensitive amd its more likely the pump pressure switch activates

.Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Edward Just to clarify Is this the controller you have. https://windowcleaningwarehouse.co.uk/collections/pumps-and-controllers/products/wcw-easy-analogue-flow-controller

If it is then as the earlier post the changes to the Reel and hose will change the flow volumes and a combination of turning the flow rate down and slightly increasing the Cal will see you get similar flow volumes to before the reel was changed.

A high Flow and Cal rate can make the controller less sensitive amd its more likely the pump pressure switch activates

.Cheers
Hi Ian,

Yes that's the controller. Seems like I've got it set right after all this time. Only time PS comes on now is when I turn the controller on then start winding hose out and it switches to blue. I'm assuming because all the hose is coiled up and restricted. Bit annoying sometimes when you do a house when you don't need as much hose out it seems to do it aswell as getting the pulsing.

Back