Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Pure water leaving runs ?

rafterys2003

Hi Guys

New topic today was just wondering if anyone had experienced problems on certain windows using pure water. Had a customer today telling me that there were runs on the glass after I cleaned them. Went round to check and there were spotted runs on the windows. It was after the first clean so I thought maybe it's due to that but I cleaned some again to check but it left the same problem. No vents but the windows do have those tiny holes on the frames which I have experienced runs from in the past but it's not just down the middle where the hole is it seems to be from edge to edge. I'm using a standard brush with a rinse bar not had this problem before and unfortunately it looks like I've lost a customer because of it. Water TDS is 000ppm so I'm a bit baffled. Any ideas why this could happen guys ?

Thanks 

Hi Guys

New topic today was just wondering if anyone had experienced problems on certain windows using pure water. Had a customer today telling me that there were runs on the glass after I cleaned them. Went round to check and there were spotted runs on the windows. It was after the first clean so I thought maybe it's due to that but I cleaned some again to check but it left the same problem. No vents but the windows do have those tiny holes on the frames which I have experienced runs from in the past but it's not just down the middle where the hole is it seems to be from edge to edge. I'm using a standard brush with a rinse bar not had this problem before and unfortunately it looks like I've lost a customer because of it. Water TDS is 000ppm so I'm a bit baffled. Any ideas why this could happen guys ?

Thanks 
Sounds like the frames weren't cleaned good enough.

First cleans you need to take the time to get those frames really good.

There will always be windows that suffer from tracking marks, you just have to learn to spot them and take appropriate action.

I leave them enough time to dribble then go back and give them a brush on rinse but not touching the top seal.

Hi Guys

Thanks 
I’ve a similar thing with customers window. Her last window cleaner had the same issue and she binned him off because of it. All I do after cleaning is wipe the frame where the pinholes are bleeding out and the glass an inch below it then rinse the rest of the glass as normal. 

Some windows can be problematic evan after many cleans , my advice would be clean the window frame and the glass rinse move on to the next window and do the same, once the previous window frame is reasonably dry ( stopped running water down the glass ) then just clean the glass carefully not getting water on the frames rinse carefully this I have found will give spot free results . 

Some windows can be problematic evan after many cleans , my advice would be clean the window frame and the glass rinse move on to the next window and do the same, once the previous window frame is reasonably dry ( stopped running water down the glass ) then just clean the glass carefully not getting water on the frames rinse carefully this I have found will give spot free results . 
I do exactly this too. Over time, you remember which panes on your round do this and becomes second nature.

@rafterys2003 For that particular customer, just use a glass cloth and wipe the streak at the end. Double-check the windows on the next couple of cleans and you'll be fine ?

You say you use a rinse bar, you sure that’s not hitting above the top frame and dragging dirt down. Just a thought. Those holes are a pain. I tend to clean those downwards, if you get water up them they drain for a while, so that might be another solution, but also any of the above already mentioned. 

Our lounge window is the worst I've come across. That window has been cleaned Wfp for at least 15 years. 

It still leaves a row of white spots down the glass. If I run my finger along the dry window frame advice the glass I get a chalky residue on my finger. 

Some windows will never come right. We have a couple on the round we quickly clean and then blade off. 

Most of us do have issues with Windows that have 2 or 3 to openers above a large glass pane below. A fellow window cleaner once binned all his customers who had these type of windows as very few aren't problematic.

Our lounge window is the worst I've come across. That window has been cleaned Wfp for at least 15 years. 

It still leaves a row of white spots down the glass. If I run my finger along the dry window frame advice the glass I get a chalky residue on my finger. 

Some windows will never come right. We have a couple on the round we quickly clean and then blade off. 

Most of us do have issues with Windows that have 2 or 3 to openers above a large glass pane below. A fellow window cleaner once binned all his customers who had these type of windows as very few aren't problematic.
My living room window is the same, always has me questioning myself if I can even clean windows properly ?

Latest Posts

Back