Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Sea spray on windows

Hi guys, anyone do homes near the sea! I've just been to a house I've done for 4 months every 4 weeks and there was a lot of sea spray on the glass and normal cleaning with pure 0 TDs water fed pole just wouldn't get it done right. Lot's of streaks. I checked my TDs and it was 0, the previous and the house after came up beautiful. Question is there a technique for Windows that have been subjected to major sea spray? Cheers Ian

I think there are three ways you can approach this problem, turn the flow up and use loads of water as PT suggested, spray the whole window with detergent/tfr or fill a bucket with soapy water and use a traditional applicator to give a pre-wash.

One house that we do is all large glass panels facing the sea which is only about 20ft away at high tide, I have tried all three methods and favour the applicator if they are really bad. Salt can be a right PITA, so can sand to be fair.

I think there are three ways you can approach this problem, turn the flow up and use loads of water as PT suggested, spray the whole window with detergent/tfr or fill a bucket with soapy water and use a traditional applicator to give a pre-wash.

One house that we do is all large glass panels facing the sea which is only about 20ft away at high tide, I have tried all three methods and favour the applicator if they are really bad. Salt can be a right PITA, so can sand to be fair.
Thanks very much

Thanks very much

Hi guys, anyone do homes near the sea! I've just been to a house I've done for 4 months every 4 weeks and there was a lot of sea spray on the glass and normal cleaning with pure 0 TDs water fed pole just wouldn't get it done right. Lot's of streaks. I checked my TDs and it was 0, the previous and the house after came up beautiful. Question is there a technique for Windows that have been subjected to major sea spray? Cheers Ian
Some of our sea facing windows need cleaning everyday when the wind blows of the North Sea. ?

Hot water and plenty of it , hot dissolves the salt cold tends to just move it around the window , give the whole window a quick going over and rinse then go over it again and rinse with plenty of water . Haven’t seen you around Helston recently ??? 

Hot water and plenty of it , hot dissolves the salt cold tends to just move it around the window , give the whole window a quick going over and rinse then go over it again and rinse with plenty of water . Haven’t seen you around Helston recently ??? 
Hiya Pjj, thanks very much. Been about but probably just missed each other ? I park at the country kitchen to grab a brew, if you see me there I'll get you a coffee. Darn I hope I don't have to get a hot water system now! Lol

I live on the Western Isles , lots of wind , sea spray a big issue , I use hot and lots off flow but if it’s particularly bad I first go round the customers windows with there garden hose , wash off the worst then a good clean with pure , our water TDS up here is 55 so can get off with this method , works well for me 

I live on the Western Isles , lots of wind , sea spray a big issue , I use hot and lots off flow but if it’s particularly bad I first go round the customers windows with there garden hose , wash off the worst then a good clean with pure , our water TDS up here is 55 so can get off with this method , works well for me 
Hi Donny, great thanks very much

Hiya Pjj, thanks very much. Been about but probably just missed each other ? I park at the country kitchen to grab a brew, if you see me there I'll get you a coffee. Darn I hope I don't have to get a hot water system now! Lol
That’s a very kind offer thanks ??? Ime sure we will bump into you one day I will keep my eyes open ??

Back