Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Hi everyone. Another new one ?

rigmarole

Hi,

I'm another newbie thinking of setting up a window cleaning business (I know I know). I've been doing a lot of research on YouTube / this forum. I've had businesses before (not related to this one) so I'm not totally green. ?

Just wanted to say hello to everybody!

I've found so much useful information on this forum already, so thanks for that!

A bit about me: I currently work in healthcare, but I'd like to leave. So I have a stable (but low paid) job and want to transition over to my own business eventually. I'm currently in Manchester but I'm moving to North Devon with my young family in 2 months. 

I just want a business so I can support my family, work hard at, and find some financial stability. I really want to be professional and make sure I do the best job possible for customers. My dad is a plumber/builder and I've worked with him in the past, so I've seen what being self employed is like.

I've bought the basics equipment for traditional stuff and I'm just practicing as much as possible at night on my own windows. Trying to get the skills to do it professionally.

I'm really interested in WFP systems too. Knew someone who fell off a ladder and it wasn't pretty.

I'd also like to ask if there are any window cleaners in the Manchester area who wouldn't mind a newbie tagging along for the day? I'd do my best to try and help as much as possible and there would be a nice bottle of (insert favourite spirit here) in it for you as well? I'd just like to see what the job is really like, I'd also like to see the WFP systems in action. To see if this game is really for me. 

Thanks in advance ?

Hi,

I'm another newbie thinking of setting up a window cleaning business (I know I know). I've been doing a lot of research on YouTube / this forum. I've had businesses before (not related to this one) so I'm not totally green. ?

Just wanted to say hello to everybody!

I've found so much useful information on this forum already, so thanks for that!

A bit about me: I currently work in healthcare, but I'd like to leave. So I have a stable (but low paid) job and want to transition over to my own business eventually. I'm currently in Manchester but I'm moving to North Devon with my young family in 2 months. 

I just want a business so I can support my family, work hard at, and find some financial stability. I really want to be professional and make sure I do the best job possible for customers. My dad is a plumber/builder and I've worked with him in the past, so I've seen what being self employed is like.

I've bought the basics equipment for traditional stuff and I'm just practicing as much as possible at night on my own windows. Trying to get the skills to do it professionally.

I'm really interested in WFP systems too. Knew someone who fell off a ladder and it wasn't pretty.

I'd also like to ask if there are any window cleaners in the Manchester area who wouldn't mind a newbie tagging along for the day? I'd do my best to try and help as much as possible and there would be a nice bottle of (insert favourite spirit here) in it for you as well? I'd just like to see what the job is really like, I'd also like to see the WFP systems in action. To see if this game is really for me. 

Thanks in advance ?
Hi mate, welcome to the forum. Cant help you with tagging along im afraid but im sure some nearer would oblige. If not, if I were you I'd buy the gardiners backpack, and an slx22, and just practise away with that. Should be somewhere not too far in manchester to buy some pure water in. Even if you go full in for it, the backpack will always be worth having, and the slx22 would likely be the only pole you would need (unless you plan on doing high blocks ) best of luck mate.

Apologies for the lack of response, I think the majority are busy catching up with the better weather and a lot are "newbied" out. There's a few Mancunians on here so you might get a chance to tag along. Good luck in your move and new venture, if you do go along this road. 

Hi and welcome , you are very welcome to come out with us for a day or two but we are in Cornwall , not to far away when you relocate to Devon ??hope the move goes ok .

Hi mate, welcome to the forum. Cant help you with tagging along im afraid but im sure some nearer would oblige. If not, if I were you I'd buy the gardiners backpack, and an slx22, and just practise away with that. Should be somewhere not too far in manchester to buy some pure water in. Even if you go full in for it, the backpack will always be worth having, and the slx22 would likely be the only pole you would need (unless you plan on doing high blocks ) best of luck mate.
Thanks for the advice. I have thought about the Gardiner backpack, looks great. And I was thinking about a Gardiner SLX pole too. After reading lots of posts on here I was torn between the 22' and the 25' one. Any opinion on that? 

Also I am deciding between getting a backpack / trolley system, compared to just buying the parts for a van system, housing them in something temporary. Then I would have all the parts ready to install into a van later down the line, kind of like those genie in a box things. (hope that makes sense?)

Just trying to be smart about it, although from what little I've seen, people seem to still find the Gardiner backpack useful even when they have a van. 

Apologies for the lack of response, I think the majority are busy catching up with the better weather and a lot are "newbied" out. There's a few Mancunians on here so you might get a chance to tag along. Good luck in your move and new venture, if you do go along this road. 
No problem, I am so thankful for any help. Thanks for the good wishes ?

Hi and welcome , you are very welcome to come out with us for a day or two but we are in Cornwall , not to far away when you relocate to Devon ??hope the move goes ok .
Thanks for the offer! I probably will take you up on that if you don't mind? I'm all for learning as much as possible, and I'm sure I could learn a lot from a day with you guys. I'm moving down in about 2 months, so I'll give you a message then to see if it's still ok. ?

Last edited by a moderator:
you need to start quickly. if you dont you WILL hum and har and get cold feet and decide against it my dear 
Yep, I think your right.

Luckily I've run a few businesses before, so I'm well practiced at planning stuff out and then just getting stuck in. Good advice tho

Thanks for the offer! I probably will take you up on that if you don't mind? I'm all for learning as much as possible, and I'm sure I could learn a lot from a day with you guys. I'm moving down in about 2 months, so I'll give you a message then to see if it's still ok. ?
Yes no problem just give me a PM on hear and we can sort something out , ware are   you moving to in Devon ? 

Hey I'm late to party (there was another better one going on) ..?

Welcome grab beer enjoy your journey through the forum..

Thanks for the advice. I have thought about the Gardiner backpack, looks great. And I was thinking about a Gardiner SLX pole too. After reading lots of posts on here I was torn between the 22' and the 25' one. Any opinion on that? 

Also I am deciding between getting a backpack / trolley system, compared to just buying the parts for a van system, housing them in something temporary. Then I would have all the parts ready to install into a van later down the line, kind of like those genie in a box things. (hope that makes sense?)

Just trying to be smart about it, although from what little I've seen, people seem to still find the Gardiner backpack useful even when they have a van. 

No problem, I am so thankful for any help. Thanks for the good wishes ?
I tried out my gardiner back pack yesterday for the first time. It is absolutely brilliant well impressed and cheap to.

To be honest I have a water tank system in my van to but plan on using the back pack for those mid terrace cleans where hoses tend to snag on things. It`s also useful if my system breaks as I will have a back up.

I have thought about the Gardiner backpack, looks great. And I was thinking about a Gardiner SLX pole too. After reading lots of posts on here I was torn between the 22' and the 25' one. Any opinion on that? 
One thing to consider is the collapsed length of the pole. The 25ft pole is 1420gms  -  1.72m vs 22ft 1270gms - 1.49m. The 27ft slx is 1670gms  - 1.56m. So although the SLX 27 is longer it's collapsed length is shorter than a 25ft!! It is heavier than a 25ft though. 

So it sort of depends on what vehicle you are using to see what will fit.

Also are there lots of town houses or Victorian houses that you might clean?

I just replaced those types of jobs with easier jobs, I can't be doing with lugging a bp around 
I hate my backpack. It's an absolute pita. I take a 50m extension for jobs that are a little far from the van. Even in the dodgy villages round here it's removed backpack usage for everything except the mid terraced with no rear access.

To be honest I have a water tank system in my van to but plan on using the back pack for those mid terrace cleans where hoses tend to snag on things. It`s also useful if my system breaks as I will have a back up.
It's alright as a back up but it's a lot of effort to use, the older your hose gets the less you'll find it snags. 2 of our 3 hoses are new and they are an absolute mare at the moment, they just need working in.

I hate my backpack. It's an absolute pita. I take a 50m extension for jobs that are a little far from the van. Even in the dodgy villages round here it's removed backpack usage for everything except the mid terraced with no rear access.
The terraces I do have access but it would be a drive around in the van, for over 15 years they have always just had the fronts done even when I was trad so they are nice earners 

Im starting to feel like the Gardiner backpack might be a good. idea for a start. Because it's low investment, and it will get me in the game of WFP and give me a taste of what it's like without a big outlay. I obviously won't have many customers at first either. 

Like you guys say, I'm sure it will get difficult with the barrels / backpack after I start getting more customers.

I'm still practicing my trad at home, and hopefully I can convince someone to let me tag along for a day in Manchester on WFP or trad. Because reading about it is one thing, the reality of it might be totally different.

Really excited to get started though

One thing to consider is the collapsed length of the pole. The 25ft pole is 1420gms  -  1.72m vs 22ft 1270gms - 1.49m. The 27ft slx is 1670gms  - 1.56m. So although the SLX 27 is longer it's collapsed length is shorter than a 25ft!! It is heavier than a 25ft though. 

So it sort of depends on what vehicle you are using to see what will fit.

Also are there lots of town houses or Victorian houses that you might clean?
That's a good point. I've got an estate, do hopefully the pole should fit in there. I can fit an 8ft surfboard in, so I'm guessing it won't be an issue. 

I've had a quick look around the area that we will be moving to on Google maps and there are a few Victorian town houses, but mostly the houses seem like regular height ones. I'm cautious that some might have velux windows.

That's why I haven't decided on size yet, 22' or 25'. I've read through the forum and most people are suggesting one of those for a first pole. Someone also suggested the 25' and take off a section.

Would a univalve work with a Gardiner backpack? That might be important to save water for me.

Also just found out the new property is a water meter, so I'm hoping that isn't going to be an issue ?

That's a good point. I've got an estate, do hopefully the pole should fit in there. I can fit an 8ft surfboard in, so I'm guessing it won't be an issue. 

I've had a quick look around the area that we will be moving to on Google maps and there are a few Victorian town houses, but mostly the houses seem like regular height ones. I'm cautious that some might have velux windows.

That's why I haven't decided on size yet, 22' or 25'. I've read through the forum and most people are suggesting one of those for a first pole. Someone also suggested the 25' and take off a section.

Would a univalve work with a Gardiner backpack? That might be important to save water for me.

Also just found out the new property is a water meter, so I'm hoping that isn't going to be an issue ?
Yep It works fine with a univalve

Im starting to feel like the Gardiner backpack might be a good. idea for a start. Because it's low investment, and it will get me in the game of WFP and give me a taste of what it's like without a big outlay. I obviously won't have many customers at first either. 

Like you guys say, I'm sure it will get difficult with the barrels / backpack after I start getting more customers.

I'm still practicing my trad at home, and hopefully I can convince someone to let me tag along for a day in Manchester on WFP or trad. Because reading about it is one thing, the reality of it might be totally different.

Really excited to get started though
Its true that a van mounts easier, but Ive certain jobs i just could not do without the backpack. Only a few mind. I used to lug 50kgplus electric cables around all day in a previous job so dont find it too heavy to be honest. If you like the job and its going well, get the whole kit asap ?

Back