Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Gardner back pack

carp boy

Hi guys.. Ive only just started our and I'm considering using the Gardner back pack to do facias and soffits as well as conservatorys. Using the spray nozzle can u add the cleaning solution to the water tank to spray facias etc.? Also if u can do the above what's the best way to rinse the facias etc after cleaning,,? (emty out the tank and re fill with just water?) thanks. 

Yes you can use them for chemical applications it might I validate the warranty but I wouldn’t worry about that we have used them for strong hypo mixes and they last at least 3 years do you will be fine , cleaning gfs you will be re filling it quite frequently, depending on your TDS I would rinse them with the garden hose and just use pure on the windows and glass conservatory roofs . After using chemicals in it just give it a good rinse out and spray water through it it will be fine 

Yes you can use them for chemical applications it might I validate the warranty but I wouldn’t worry about that we have used them for strong hypo mixes and they last at least 3 years do you will be fine , cleaning gfs you will be re filling it quite frequently, depending on your TDS I would rinse them with the garden hose and just use pure on the windows and glass conservatory roofs . After using chemicals in it just give it a good rinse out and spray water through it it will be fine 
I run hypo etc through my backpack and also through a 2nd wfp pump I have connected to a 50l bleach tank in the van and just rinse it out with a bucket of tap water once I'm done.

Both 2 years old now with no adverse effects.

No need to waste your pure water on gutters, facias, cladding etc. Get yourself an outside tap connector onto some delivery hose and a pole hose connector onto the other end. Connect your pole to that and use the clients outside tap. At least 90% of customers seem to have an outside tap.

We’ve just switched over to Gardiner backpacks and i must say they are outstanding. the backpacks we used to use just became too expensive so we had to switch supllier. 2x gardiner backpacks were half the price of 2x backpacks at our old supplier and the quality and flow rate seem superior so im wishing we had used them all along now. As others have said though you wanna be connecting up to an outside tap with your wfp wherever you can to save on purified. Dont know about the rest of you but the water quality in cardiff has been terrible the last two years, we used to get 60-80 tds until 2018 and ever since its been 120-130 so our resin usage is almost doubling ? as we use 2 x DI vessels and no RO. 

May I ask how much pure you use a month and any idea on your resin costs per month? Cheers
Kind of hard to answer that to be honest as our rounds run 6 weekly which make the figures a bit hard to work out on a monthly basis, our books aren't full either as we rely a lot on ad on work. Due to covid our rounds have decreased a bit, but not massively, and its taking us half the time to get through a bag as it was previously 

Last edited by a moderator:
Kind of hard to answer that to be honest as our rounds run 6 weekly which make the figures a bit hard to work out on a monthly basis, our books aren't full either as we rely a lot on ad on work. Dud to covid our rounds have decreased a bit, but not massively, and its taking us half the time to get through a bag as it was previously 
Cheers, my water is about 130tds so I am weighing up RO vs DI. 

Cheers, my water is about 130tds so I am weighing up RO vs DI. 
I think the general rule most people say is anything over 100 tds probably best to have an RO. Of course others may disagree but i seem to remember people saying 100 being the benchmark.  

I think the general rule most people say is anything over 100 tds probably best to have an RO. Of course others may disagree but i seem to remember people saying 100 being the benchmark.  
True, I have a small RO at moment which is fine at moment but hopefully once I can go out canvassing I will need more pure. Cheers.

RO with a reading of that I think , it will be expensive on resin else . 
Yeah i agree it is getting expensive. Do you know how i’d go about incorporating an RO in to our set up? Basically we have an outside tap which we run a hosepipe to 2 di vessels in the garage, and then it goes in to 25 L barrels as we dont have a tank set up in the van. Is it therefore possible to incorporate an RO? I always thought they were fitted in to the van system set ups somehow so i’m a bit clueless to be honest! Cheers dude

Yeah i agree it is getting expensive. Do you know how i’d go about incorporating an RO in to our set up? Basically we have an outside tap which we run a hosepipe to 2 di vessels in the garage, and then it goes in to 25 L barrels as we dont have a tank set up in the van. Is it therefore possible to incorporate an RO? I always thought they were fitted in to the van system set ups somehow so i’m a bit clueless to be honest! Cheers dude
You will need a carbon sediment filter , 5 micron filter then RO then DI I would phone @doug atkinson  at daqua he’s very helpful and no hard sell prices are also good . 

Ideally you need a tank to store the pure water as RO wont produce masses of water on demand. It's more a leave it to run for a good few hrs to get pure. A big 4040 RO membrane running decent 80psi will produce about 400litres and hour. My little 150GPD RO with a booster pump (our tap psi is only 28psi)  produces about 20 to 25 litres an hour. I process into a 240 litre wheelie bin as a tank, you could use water butts. Then transfer to your barrels with something like a 12v bilge pump. One other thing to mention is that for each 40 litres of pure an RO produces you will have 60 litres of waste water so you need a drain to get rid of that or a big garden to water ? 40:60 pure to waste is just a guide as some RO need higher waste ratio. So it sort of depends on how much water you need to produce. 

Ideally you need a tank to store the pure water as RO wont produce masses of water on demand. It's more a leave it to run for a good few hrs to get pure. A big 4040 RO membrane running decent 80psi will produce about 400litres and hour. My little 150GPD RO with a booster pump (our tap psi is only 28psi)  produces about 20 to 25 litres an hour. I process into a 240 litre wheelie bin as a tank, you could use water butts. Then transfer to your barrels with something like a 12v bilge pump. One other thing to mention is that for each 40 litres of pure an RO produces you will have 60 litres of waste water so you need a drain to get rid of that or a big garden to water ? 40:60 pure to waste is just a guide as some RO need higher waste ratio. So it sort of depends on how much water you need to produce. 
Yeah mate to be honest it sounds like a lot of hassle and i’ve had so many health issues regarding my back that i honestly don’t think i can be going through any more aggro than is necessary, i struggle to move a lot of days, so i might just keep doing it the way we’re doing it and raise some prices, it seems like an easier solution for me. Our water rates and usage are high enough as it is i dont need to be producing that amount of waste and right now could do without the additional costs of extra set up components. Cheers mate ?

We produce 1000 ltr of pure in 2 hours ???

We’ve just switched over to Gardiner backpacks and i must say they are outstanding. the backpacks we used to use just became too expensive so we had to switch supllier. 2x gardiner backpacks were half the price of 2x backpacks at our old supplier and the quality and flow rate seem superior so im wishing we had used them all along now. As others have said though you wanna be connecting up to an outside tap with your wfp wherever you can to save on purified. Dont know about the rest of you but the water quality in cardiff has been terrible the last two years, we used to get 60-80 tds until 2018 and ever since its been 120-130 so our resin usage is almost doubling ? as we use 2 x DI vessels and no RO. 
Pretty sure it was over 400 last time I checked in East Hampshire.

Back