Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

flow controller

Spring v16 I believe but it's sold under different brand names. Just search for V16 wfp controller. It has in built reverse polarity protection and better control of pump I believe @Ian Sheppard is the man that knows all the details.

hi cheers there are 2 one charges  will it put much charge in through out the day 
I don't know about the Spring controllers with charging capability specifically. All the split charge type devices, I am aware of, will not put much back in unless you do lots of miles.

You really need to keep an eye on your battery as if you take it below 50% charge (12.1v rested - i.e. no current in or out for 4 hrs) then you will be reducing it's life and capacity. 

No controllers on the market charge a battery, you need a battery charger for that purpose. 
My controller has a scr and it works dead on. My battery is about two years old and I haven't charged it in about 18 months.  When I did bring it to charge it, it was full. I do about 200 miles a week including using my van at the weekend so I think that helps. 

My controller has a scr and it works dead on. My battery is about two years old and I haven't charged it in about 18 months.  When I did bring it to charge it, it was full. I do about 200 miles a week including using my van at the weekend so I think that helps. 
Yes mate, I know things can be set up with a scr but the question the author asked lacked content and detail and seemed to indicate that they thought a controller would charge the battery, 

sometimes as you know people post questions without detail and we can't exactly give an answer with so little detail. ?

Yes mate, I know things can be set up with a scr but the question the author asked lacked content and detail and seemed to indicate that they thought a controller would charge the battery, 

sometimes as you know people post questions without detail and we can't exactly give an answer with so little detail. ?
My controller has the scr built in and the new ones can have it already.  They didn't when they first come out but I seen a video from spring the other week saying they have them with scr built in again.

A got a car spark to connect mine up and in not sure where he connected it too but it works well atm. 

@babs2020. I would say that for the vast majority of us, especially including me, we don't do enough mileage to achieve a split charge relay keeping our leisure batteries fully charged @wee man

Yesterday I worked on my own. At the end of the day I had about 90% charge in my battery. Driving 10 miles home, 10 miles to collect the wife from work and collect her car at the garage (mot time) the battery was 97% fully charged. That was an extra ordinary day. Most days it's a maximum of 5 to 15 miles all day. That will never fully recharge my leisure battery. 

As a battery gets flatter it will accept a faster charge rate. At 97% my leisure battery was only accepting a charge rate of 4amps. When I started my run home it was around 8 amps.

My battery was in deficit of 11 amps at the end of the day. If the charge rate stayed at 8amps it would take nearly an hour and a half to charge that battery.

The older Spring controller is fitted with a 10amp fuse. The cabling is also thin so you won't get anything higher than a charge rate of 10amps.

My first split charge relay was rated at 15 amps. I had a trip to South of London. The leisure battery was 110 amps and was just over half charged when I started my journey. The leisure battery was fully charged after I did a little over 250 miles (around 5 hours driving time.)

For most of us our primary source of battery recharging will be 'bench charging'. A split charge relay is just a back up.

If your van is just a few years old then you might well not be able to use a split charge relay setup anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
No controllers on the market charge a battery, you need a battery charger for that purpose. 
Have a look here: https://www.springltd.co/products/23/v11-charging even the v11 could be bought with built in split charge relay!!!

I'm not saying a split charge relay will keep your battery topped up, that's a different matter or that the split charge relay is suitable for all vehicles as 'smart alternators' need a B2B charger.

Not the controller on it's own though, you need a scr fully wired in otherwise it's just another controller 
I believe you can buy spring controllers with different specs, i.e. one with built in split charge relay (extra wires to connect to van battery) , 1 with autoshutoff, to name but 2 variants I am sure @Ian Sheppard has many versions of their controllers that do all sorts of things. The versions with extra capabilities don't seem to be marketed and supplied by as many companies who 're-brand' Spring controllers as the standard ones.

I believe you can buy spring controllers with different specs, i.e. one with built in split charge relay (extra wires to connect to van battery) , 1 with autoshutoff, to name but 2 variants I am sure @Ian Sheppard has many versions of their controllers that do all sorts of things. The versions with extra capabilities don't seem to be marketed and supplied by as many companies who 're-brand' Spring controllers as the standard ones.
Yes I appreciate what you are saying and I'm fully aware of the variant's just wanted to put it out there to clarify things, yes one comes with a scr fitted within it, but as you say it needs connecting to the van battery, 

Now that doesn't mean it will suitably charge the leisure battery sufficiently for everyone, prime example is me most days I drive 2-4 miles to an estate and work there all day with a few moves I also have an electric reel my battery is depleted by around 50% everyday if I had an scr fitted those 4-8 miles I drive everyday wouldn't put any charge into my leisure battery and within 2 days my leisure battery would be flat. 

I Did think about adding a split relay option as well when I ordered my v16 link  with wireless mag antenna, but after having a VSR on my last van I just didn’t do enough miles to warrant it. 

I bench charge every night and that works great providing you can get a electric cable to your van. 

I Did think about adding a split relay option as well when I ordered my v16 link  with wireless mag antenna, but after having a VSR on my last van I just didn’t do enough miles to warrant it. 

I bench charge every night and that works great providing you can get a electric cable to your van. 
This is true.

Many years ago we had a leisure battery fail. We were miles away from base and the battery died half way through the job, first my son's side and then mine. We were able to run the engine and complete the job.

Had I not had a VSR on the van we would have had to abandon the job and travel another 20 miles to find a caravan and motor home outlet guaranteed to have stock and buy a new battery. There would have been a strong possibility that we would have to have returned to complete the job either the next day or a couple of days later when our local motor factors had received stock.

For us having the vsr saved us much more than the unit cost that day. We have never experienced the same since but it nice to know we have a fall back.

This is true.

Many years ago we had a leisure battery fail. We were miles away from base and the battery died half way through the job, first my son's side and then mine. We were able to run the engine and complete the job.

Had I not had a VSR on the van we would have had to abandon the job and travel another 20 miles to find a caravan and motor home outlet guaranteed to have stock and buy a new battery. There would have been a strong possibility that we would have to have returned to complete the job either the next day or a couple of days later when our local motor factors had received stock.

For us having the vsr saved us much more than the unit cost that day. We have never experienced the same since but it nice to know we have a fall back.
Defo handy for that day ?

Back