Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Fascia and soffit cleaning - no WFP or pressure washer

Carnmore

What's the quickest way to clean uPVC fascia and soffits and aluminium gutters without a pressure washer or WFP? It's covered in green algae and hasn't been done for years.

I was thinking of using Brintons MMC Pro or other biocide but not sure of its suitability.

It's a 4 bed detached and I can't spend all day doing them.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
What's the quickest way to clean fascia and soffits without a pressure washer or WFP?

I was thinking of using Brintons MMC Pro or other biocide but not sure of its suitability.

It's a 4 bed detached and I can't spend all day doing them.

Thanks in advance.
I'm doing one on Thursday. I'm using my tower scaffold because the soffit has all those small vent slits which keep oozing black dust marks so I prefer using a sponge and dry cloth. Hot water and screwfix degreaser is all I use bar hard to move marks then I use some Pink Stuff. I'm lucky as I have someone to help me with it. 

I'm doing one on Thursday. I'm using my tower scaffold because the soffit has all those small vent slits which keep oozing black dust marks so I prefer using a sponge and dry cloth. Hot water and screwfix degreaser is all I use bar hard to move marks then I use some Pink Stuff. I'm lucky as I have someone to help me with it. 
Thank you.

I'm not sure if the householders will be in so what do you for hot water? 

Is it the No Nonsense degreaser you use?

Also can I ask what you'd charge for a 4 bed detached and how long it'll take?

Thank you.

With respect you don’t seam to have a clue how to do the job , you cannot do it successful without the right kit, probably best to pass the job on .

Thank you.

I take hot water with me and I have hot water system in van. Yes no nonsense you don't need a lot. I'm £200 but I clean the garage door and all the windows, doors and downpipes. I clear out the gutters as well and this one I have to repair gutters so a i have to charge more. I usually use ladders so this will be the first time with my 2.4m narrow scaffold on wheels. Will let you all know if it makes a big difference. ?

Helpful 
Just being realistic , if you don’t know how to do the job or have the kit to do it are you going to get good results that the customer will be happy with ?? As for  price that’s very area specific what we would charge may be way to high or way to low for your area . 

Just being realistic , if you don’t know how to do the job or have the kit to do it are you going to get good results that the customer will be happy with ?? As for  price that’s very area specific what we would charge may be way to high or way to low for your area . 
There are other old posts asking a similar question and working off a ladder. 

Strange concept that whatever work one is doing right now is the limit

Yes we do but you cannot do the job without the correct kit , he’s openly said he hasn’t got it 
He will on the next job because he will learn from this job. He might realise how hard it is and decide not to do it again. Think I used a 3" scrubbing pad I found in my kitchen sink and some fairy liquid and away I went with a cut up towel.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/microfibre-cloth-blue-380-x-380mm-50-pack/62624

Ended up buying these clothes and they worked a treat.

There are other old posts asking a similar question and working off a ladder. 

Strange concept that whatever work one is doing right now is the limit
You haven’t given us any idear about what kit you have , what experience you have your profile says 10-20 years experience but doing what ?? If you are thinking about using ladders then you will need magic sponges , and soapy water ,and some scrims or cloths , if you have a pole then you could rig that up to the customers tap and scrub it from the ground , we cannot advise you as we don’t  know if you have a ladder or pole , I know you said you don’t have wfp but I certainly wouldn’t encourage anyone to do this type of job from a ladder due to the potential dangers involved if you intend doing this type of work on a regular basis then it would pay to get a pole and maybe a back pack , you say you don’t want to take all day , but again a job will take time to do and depending on the size of the house doing it with a ladder will likely take half a day depending on your speed .

With respect you don’t seam to have a clue how to do the job , you cannot do it successful without the right kit, probably best to pass the job on .
You beat me to the punch! ?

Your wording was better then what mine would have been ?

The way I see this situation yes it can be a good learning lesson for the orginal poster. 

But hes worried about time, proper leaning takes time.

What happens if he damages the surface of what he's attempting to clean, does he have proper insurance or cash to cover damages or will the home owner have to foot the repair bill?

We all learn on the job but those things that we learn are small and only ways to work more efficiently on that type of job. Not a totally new service with out knowledge of tools and chemicals or the proper kit to handle the job.

Hope he's successful in learning a new service.

Just hope it's not at the cost of the customers home.

Back