Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Egg on glass......HELP

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Rigo

Hi every one. I was approached this morning and asked if i was taking on new customers. Looking at her windows i discovered 2 windows covered in egg and shell. No access with ladders available.....i use the pole system with cold water, any tips on how to remove the egg etc...also how much extra £££??

Cold water will struggle to remove it , can you put a scraper on a pole and scrape it to remove the worst  of it , then apply washing up liquid, or virisol by spray or on the brush give it a good scrub and repeat until clean , I would suggest charging well as if it has been on there a while it will be time consuming .

Soak the window down down with some wash up soap real good and scrape the egg off then scrub and rinse really good. Job done!

I have found screwfix no nonsense degreaser to be the best for removing egg. I remember one of custys had been egged on halloween, we showed up maybe 3 weeks or 4 weeks after so it had been on there a while. Good old nO nonsense degreaser on there and the egg just disintegrated in no time, happy days ? 

Biological washing powder works best as the enzymes in it break down the proteins in the egg which is what makes it stick so well.

Mix some into a paste and leave it on there a few minutes. 

Works a lot better than degreaser etc.

Biological washing powder works best as the enzymes in it break down the proteins in the egg which is what makes it stick so well.

Missed something out there mate, you also need @Part Timer to apply it by hand to high level windows when you don't have a ladder. ?

I used this on a extra dirty cladding clean a few years ago worked really well, used customers tap it did leave some residue on the concrete floor but again the customers tap sorted. 

I used this on a extra dirty cladding clean a few years ago worked really well, used customers tap it did leave some residue on the concrete floor but again the customers tap sorted. 
It also kills moss off pathways in days and it all dies and can be swept off.

I've got my first window with dried egg all over to do tomorrow. So thanks for the advice on this thread. Just wondering what order these are in terms of effectiveness.

1. Screw fix degreaser
2. Virosol
3. Bio detergent.

I'm cold water but will take a little hot with me to apply just the cleaning solution. I'd appreciate advice on what to try first?

I've got my first window with dried egg all over to do tomorrow. So thanks for the advice on this thread. Just wondering what order these are in terms of effectiveness.

1. Screw fix degreaser
2. Virosol
3. Bio detergent.

I'm cold water but will take a little hot with me to apply just the cleaning solution. I'd appreciate advice on what to try first?
Just an update on the egg. I went back today to try and get rid of it (car been parked underneath it for several days so couldn't get at it before now).

First I tried a bio detergent, it didn't really do anything, I mixed it very high strength and it took lots of scrubbing to make any difference but it was very poor, to the point that I was concerned that I might not be able to remove it.

Next I brought out the Screwfix degeaser, mixed up about 1 part to 5 ratio, cold water in a bucket that I dipped the brush into and then applied it to the window. I soaked the window up, soaked the sills, cleaned a few panes either side of the said window while I waited for it to soak, then applied some more and let it soak a bit more (only like a minute or two), then started scrubbing with the brush, instantly I could see it was coming off, it was pretty easy to remove it. It also removed it off the sills and they were nice and white as well as it brought off the greying.

So egg on window, I fully recommend the Screwfix degreaser, bit of scrubbing and even with cold water it will be gone in a few minutes.

Always surprises me how good that stuff is.

Just an update on the egg. I went back today to try and get rid of it (car been parked underneath it for several days so couldn't get at it before now).

First I tried a bio detergent, it didn't really do anything, I mixed it very high strength and it took lots of scrubbing to make any difference but it was very poor, to the point that I was concerned that I might not be able to remove it.

Next I brought out the Screwfix degeaser, mixed up about 1 part to 5 ratio, cold water in a bucket that I dipped the brush into and then applied it to the window. I soaked the window up, soaked the sills, cleaned a few panes either side of the said window while I waited for it to soak, then applied some more and let it soak a bit more (only like a minute or two), then started scrubbing with the brush, instantly I could see it was coming off, it was pretty easy to remove it. It also removed it off the sills and they were nice and white as well as it brought off the greying.

So egg on window, I fully recommend the Screwfix degreaser, bit of scrubbing and even with cold water it will be gone in a few minutes.

Correct me if I am wrong but I`m pretty sure in order for the enzymes which are present in the washing powder solution to become active the water has to be warm. Did you use a hot water solution? as this might have made a difference but thanks for the info. That will come in handy at some point. I do use screwfix degreaser and have found it really good.

Good ole No Nonsense - quality product and a bargain price. We all know heat can make cleaning more effective but not always essential. This stuff delivers....that's why Scottish bought up the entire supply north of the border....and Pink Stuff as well I think....and hi viz woolly hats ;)

Back