Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Update 1st 6 weeks in.

Ian Docksey

Hi all. Been going 6 weeks now. Started from scratch. With 4 paid jobs from neighbours and family. Have done a couple of Facebook ads. Only 10 quid each, which has brought in 4 customers. Been dropping flyers, not knocked on doors yet, waiting for lockdowns to end. Now up to 25 customers, had a couple of 1 off cleans also. Really enjoying it, learning loads every day. Thanks for all the advice and encouragement I get from all on here. THE ONLY WAY IS UP. Slow start yes,but getting there, as I say,slowly slowly catchee monkey!

Knock on doors,stand back and give em your pitch is my advice....your missing out big time mate...

I guarantee that if you d have gone knocking over the last 6 weeks 3 or 4 times a week for an hour or so(each time) you d have at least another 50 jobs on your books....
Many people will disagree with me on this but knocking and giving a pitch actual gave me a bit of negative feedback (even though being extremely friendly a polite) . People come to the door and instantly want to get rid of you because there making dinner, or changing the baby etc etc. And then it leaves a sour taste in there mouth about the business. Atleast that's how I felt ...

As always my advice is to advertise on Facebook, set up a business page, and most importantly DO A GOOD JOB AMD BE RELIABLE. I went from 8 customers in my first week to about 100 customers 2 months later by doing it this way. Word of mouth is incredible. Now I no longer advertise as I'm constantly getting people's sisters,aunties, uncles want me as there cleaner because of this. (All be it it has now got a little bit out of control ?) 

So 2nd time round cleaning a week1 customer, got asked to quote for Gutter clean,fascia, conny roof, garage door to clean in 6 weeks time. Quoted ,thought I'd gone in a bit high,but quote accepted, happy days!

I can’t knock on doors. Never have been able to. That’s the trouble being an introvert. Equally if someone knocks on my door I won’t open it unless I know them( and wanna see them) incase they’re selling a service that I don’t want. I might be eating my tea when they knock which would annoy me. 

I can’t knock on doors. Never have been able to. That’s the trouble being an introvert. Equally if someone knocks on my door I won’t open it unless I know them( and wanna see them) incase they’re selling a service that I don’t want. I might be eating my tea when they knock which would annoy me. 
My wife came into the front room yesterday and said there’s someone knocking on the door with a beard.

I said no wonder I couldn’t hear him ?

Hi all. Been going 6 weeks now. Started from scratch. With 4 paid jobs from neighbours and family. Have done a couple of Facebook ads. Only 10 quid each, which has brought in 4 customers. Been dropping flyers, not knocked on doors yet, waiting for lockdowns to end. Now up to 25 customers, had a couple of 1 off cleans also. Really enjoying it, learning loads every day. Thanks for all the advice and encouragement I get from all on here. THE ONLY WAY IS UP. Slow start yes,but getting there, as I say,slowly slowly catchee monkey!
How's the van system mate? 

Good going mate,, 

Knock some doors but don’t be put off buy them people who says 

“”oh we have already got a window cleaner he cleans the whole estate”” 

what they actually mean by that is he probably cleans there’s next door and probably one over the road 

don’t be put off more you knock more Easier it becomes

Evan if you go out and don’t get anything get back up the following day and go back out plenty off glass out there to be cleaned mate 

best off luck with your adventure:) 

Good going mate,, 

Knock some doors but don’t be put off buy them people who says 

“”oh we have already got a window cleaner he cleans the whole estate”” 

what they actually mean by that is he probably cleans there’s next door and probably one over the road 

don’t be put off more you knock more Easier it becomes

Evan if you go out and don’t get anything get back up the following day and go back out plenty off glass out there to be cleaned mate 

best off luck with your adventure:) 
Not in my case....??....I do actually clean nearly all the houses on 2 estates(94 on one estate and 72 on another)....the ones I dont have been dropped due to being bad payers....there is still 4 other window cleaners on there all cleaning one or two houses and have been for years...

Glad it's going well for you. I think 100 customers is the magic figure cos as soon as you hit that as long as you are friendly and do a good job the recommendations just start pouring in with friends and families and because you are out at 100 houses a months neighbours, dog walkers etc are seeing you and asking for  a quote or a business card and you are off. I knocked doors till I got to 100 then I've never done it again because the phone just rings on it's own and at this time of year normally getting atleast 3 or 4 walk ups a week just being out in the van cleaning. Good luck hope it keeps growing

Latest Posts

Back