Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

5kw diesel heater myth

RyeCleanLiam

Hi all. Just wanted to dispel a bit of a myth that keeps doing the rounds. Namely that a 5kw diesel heater only gets luke warm. I've seen many people say it on here and on FB. In fact I nearly cancelled my order after reading it as I was horrified to only get luke warm water for nearly £4k.

I'm glad I didn't as it's simply not true anymore. The new 5kw webasto Evo top is a cracking little heater and is more than sufficient for a one man system I've attached a couple of photos to show the heat. Nearly 45 degrees out the brush head which is too hot to hold your hand under.

So if you are thinking of going for it. Don't hesitate on the 5kw.

* Can't add the picture of the temperature it's says file too big but it was 44 degrees out of the brush head

Screenshot_20210306-135545.jpg

IMG_20210304_115823_599.jpg

Nice mate ?how long you had your diesel heater is it pl7mbed into your main diesel tank and how much Diesel usage in a day.

I just recently had installed a immersion heater in my facelift compact system.

Nice mate ?how long you had your diesel heater is it pl7mbed into your main diesel tank and how much Diesel usage in a day.

Cheers Den. I've only had it installed this week, used it for 3 days. There is a **** inside and it's only turned up about half way on the heat setting too so more to give. In between jobs the water recycles back into the tank and warms the tank throughout the day.

Yes it is plumbed into the diesel tank, and so far I've hardly noticed it tbh. Next week I will tell more though. I usually send £25-£30 PW on diesel so see if I spend more next week. Even if it's an extra £15-£20 a week it'll be more than worth it.

Oh and how much of a difference does hot water make Den? Even in 3 days I can see a massive difference.

Yes I agree I wouldn’t worry about a few quid for having hot water.

I did consider a diesel hot water system myself but don’t have the room as I only have a small van so opted for immersion. 

Must admit when using my hot hose as been a blessing last week no gloves lol ? 

To be fair 45 degrees at the brush is ok but if you have 100 meters of hose  out then it will be considerably less , I have a friend who has one like yours and they are ok but in a cold day with 60-100 of hose out they are warm not hot . But Evan warm water makes the working day so much easier . 

To be fair 45 degrees at the brush is ok but if you have 100 meters of hose  out then it will be considerably less , I have a friend who has one like yours and they are ok but in a cold day with 60-100 of hose out they are warm not hot . But Evan warm water makes the working day so much easier . 
Probably so. I have had the hose out all 100m once so far and it was about 3 degrees temperature outside so not freezing. Of course it did drop cooler but it was certainly still Warner than just warm. In all honesty though I rarely use all 100 m I'm lucky if I use 50 m. And for the few weeks a year we actually have minus temperature it wasn't worth the extra £1.3k for me. My water recycles back into the tank between jobs and by late morning the tank water is getting pretty warm which gives it an added boost. I'm going to test the water straight from the heater at some point but when I put my hand under that it's extremely hot, I can't hold it under.

Obviously 9 KW is going to be better there's no doubt ? but in my opinion 5 kw is absolutely fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was looking at the hot boxes for power washers, if you had a spare storage tank, could you not use one of these to pump water into van tanking morning n be cheaper than buying a diesel van heater, which takes up space in van if you have a small van. Of course you would need a water pump to push the water through n have to start earlier in morning to pump it through? Just a thought

I was looking at the hot boxes for power washers, if you had a spare storage tank, could you not use one of these to pump water into van tanking morning n be cheaper than buying a diesel van heater, which takes up space in van if you have a small van. Of course you would need a water pump to push the water through n have to start earlier in morning to pump it through? Just a thought
That's the way I'd do it now if I purified into an IBC and then transferred into van. I believe @Chris Dall does it this way and would be the cheapest way by far with a multi van set up

Don’t see why it wouldn’t work if the tank was well insulated 

That's the way I'd do it now if I purified into an IBC and then transferred into van. I believe @Chris Dall does it this way and would be the cheapest way by far with a multi van set up
@Chris Dall is the one who doesn’t think sodium hypochlorite is a biocide ????

It is more embarrassing you calling out other companies profit into question on a public forum because maybe they got caught short on a job and maybe threw in exactly the same product as a "labeled" product into a mixture.

We travel all the way down your neck of the woods for regular render work. So no need to question our profitability.

Nice scenery though..

It is more embarrassing you calling out other companies profit into question on a public forum because maybe they got caught short on a job and maybe threw in exactly the same product as a "labeled" product into a mixture.

We travel all the way down your neck of the woods for regular render work. So no need to question our profitability.

Nice scenery though..
Sorry totally confused by what you are saying ????? 

I had the full length of microbore out this morning. The temperature of the water leaving the heater was 46 degrees and 33 degrees at the brush head. Ambient temperature was around 8 to 9 degrees.

Probably so. I have had the hose out all 100m once so far and it was about 3 degrees temperature outside so not freezing. Of course it did drop cooler but it was certainly still Warner than just warm. In all honesty though I rarely use all 100 m I'm lucky if I use 50 m. And for the few weeks a year we actually have minus temperature it wasn't worth the extra £1.3k for me. My water recycles back into the tank between jobs and by late morning the tank water is getting pretty warm which gives it an added boost. I'm going to test the water straight from the heater at some point but when I put my hand under that it's extremely hot, I can't hold it under.

Obviously 9 KW is going to be better there's no doubt ? but in my opinion 5 kw is absolutely fine.
This is interesting as the old Thermo Top C they used to use wasn't up to the job in an experiment I did with one. It sounds like the 'new' Evo replacement is more efficient.

You will get a higher temperature if you reduce your water flow a bit. With old digital Varistreams there is a marked difference in flow between hot and cold water in winter on the same flow setting.

I had the full length of microbore out this morning. The temperature of the water leaving the heater was 46 degrees and 33 degrees at the brush head. Ambient temperature was around 8 to 9 degrees.

This is interesting as the old Thermo Top C they used to use wasn't up to the job in an experiment I did with one. It sounds like the 'new' Evo replacement is more efficient.

You will get a higher temperature if you reduce your water flow a bit. With old digital Varistreams there is a marked difference in flow between hot and cold water in winter on the same flow setting.
Honestly spruce I have it recirculating into the tank between jobs and once my tank has dropped level a bit I can put my hand in and feel where the water is dropping through. I can't put my hand under it, it is that hot, and that's straight out of the heater. I bet it's 50 degrees. And there is a dial inside the hotbox which turns the temperature up and down and it is set to half way so more to give I think.

Good to know about the flow. Thanks ?

Honestly spruce I have it recirculating into the tank between jobs and once my tank has dropped level a bit I can put my hand in and feel where the water is dropping through. I can't put my hand under it, it is that hot, and that's straight out of the heater. I bet it's 50 degrees. And there is a dial inside the hotbox which turns the temperature up and down and it is set to half way so more to give I think.

Good to know about the flow. Thanks ?
What size tank do you have ?? It is ideal for heating the tank between jobs the less water the  faster it will heat up as well on my smallest tank which is 600 ltr we sometimes switch the boiler off by lunch time generally there is about 300-400 ltr left and it’s that hot you cannot put your hand in it , but our tanks aren’t insulated so they do dissipate heat quite quickly  

It all depends where you live and how cold it gets. In Scotland I would always advise 9 kw due to how cold it can get.

In Sweden and Denmark they wouldn’t entertain 5 kw as not up to the cold they experience so all their hot water systems are 9 kw.

It all depends where you live and how cold it gets. In Scotland I would always advise 9 kw due to how cold it can get.

In Sweden and Denmark they wouldn’t entertain 5 kw as not up to the cold they experience so all their hot water systems are 9 kw.
There is also a 12 kw and 16 kw version of theses wabasto heaters I would love to see the 12 kw version used for our needs I think it would be much better option with far more adjustment in temperature, a mate of mine fits them in boats , when I get time I am thinking of trying one in my van with the current set up and see how it works . 

Webasto and Eberspacher regardless of their Kw are not meant for any of the functions we use them for as window cleaners.

A large manufacturer to the window cleaning industry who make water heating units specifically for our purpose have selected my business to trial their latest unit they have in R&D.

All I can say is the heating unit is Canadian, and is far more fuel efficient than the Webasto and Eberspacher units, let alone it needs minimal modification like the two mentioned above have to have done to them to fit our purpose of continually running water. It will also not get the massive heat fluctuations you experience either.

Watch this space as we have been informed of a late summer delivery and fitting.

All the best.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back