Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

work trousers for window cleaning

I wear cargo trousers in the winter, 36W 29L black

Amazon 2pairs for £27 + postage

In late spring & summer itll be cargo shorts.

Bib and brace all year round with a shirt. 

My bib and brace is black with the name Dickies displayed on them. I had considered changing the name of my window cleaning business to Dickies. ?

Bought two pairs of cargo style trousers for H&M in December, nice slim fit and look trendy, rather then the usual too baggy & styleless builder type trousers. I have skinny legs so have to wear slim fit.  £19 each.
Draw strings around the waist & elasticated around the bottom of the ankle. They’ve got the extra pockets of the side of the thighs. 

Came in a few colours, I got 1 black & 1 Army Green.

I have thick, short legs so currently wear stretch jeans as every time I’ve bought work trousers for my size I haven’t been able get them past my thighs and on the couple of occasions I have, I can’t get my hands in the pockets. I know it doesn’t look as professional though. Does anyone have a similar issue, and have you been able to find a work around? 

I have thick, short legs so currently wear stretch jeans as every time I’ve bought work trousers for my size I haven’t been able get them past my thighs and on the couple of occasions I have, I can’t get my hands in the pockets. I know it doesn’t look as professional though. Does anyone have a similar issue, and have you been able to find a work around? 
I heard recently (my wife said it) that you can only consider yourself a professional if the trousers you wear show your builder's bum when you squat down.? 

I wear cargo trousers in the winter, 36W 29L black

Amazon 2pairs for £27 + postage

In late spring & summer itll be cargo shorts.
You meen 42 waist ;-) 

I heard recently (my wife said it) that you can only consider yourself a professional if the trousers you wear show your builder's bum when you squat down.? 
The jokes on her I’m too fat to squat down ? 

Ahh the Roberto Carlos figure 

Bib and brace all year round with a shirt. 

My bib and brace is black with the name Dickies displayed on them. I had considered changing the name of my window cleaning business to Dickies. ?
I’m thinking of swapping to a bib and brace due to a sore back after having shingles , maybe even making some short versions for the summer! 
how warm do you find them compared to trousers? And are the shoulders straps restrictive? 

I’m thinking of swapping to a bib and brace due to a sore back after having shingles , maybe even making some short versions for the summer! 
how warm do you find them compared to trousers? And are the shoulders straps restrictive? 
Honestly I don't have too much of a problem in winter. They do get rather warm in summer though.

I used to wear cargo trousers but as I have very little bum and a rather portly stomach, the only way to hold them up was a rather tight, restrictive belt. I seemed to spend half the day pulling my trousers up. There was a rather embarrassing incident where I was working in a small gap between a lower bay window and a privacy hedge the owners had planted. I was working with my hands and pole above my head to clear the top of the hedge cleaning the top bedroom bay windows. My trousers chose that moment to slip down. I couldn't drop the pole down to rescue my trousers. It seemed ages before I fathomed the solution out. Hence the B&B's. The homeowner never said a word but she cancelled the clean a few months later. Probably scared for life. Yes I was wearing underpants. Bib and brace saved that from happening again.

The Dickies I have has an elastic section at the back that helps a bit when bending. Tbh they are a bit restrictive when bending so isn't the ideal solution but that's the only compromise.

I promise you, dungarees look far better on women folk than they do on me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly I don't have too much of a problem in winter. They do get rather warm in summer though.

I used to wear cargo trousers but as I have very little bum and a rather portly stomach, the only way to hold them up was a rather tight, restrictive belt. I seemed to spend half the day pulling my trousers up. There was a rather embarrassing incident where I was working in a small gap between a lower bay window and a privacy hedge the owners had planted. I was working with my hands and pole above my head to clear the top of the hedge cleaning the top bedroom bay windows. My trousers chose that moment to slip down. I couldn't drop the pole down to rescue my trousers. It seemed ages before I fathomed the solution out. Hence the B&B's. The homeowner never said a word but she cancelled the clean a few months later. Probably scared for life. Yes I was wearing underpants. Bib and brace saved that from happening again.

The Dickies I have has an elastic section at the back that helps a bit when bending. Tbh they are a bit restrictive when bending so isn't the ideal solution but that's the only compromise.

I promise you, dungarees look far better on women folk than they do on me.
An all in one with a belt could be just for you 

fb70ae25722ac0b25008ef11fcb3aa5e--little-britain-denim.jpg

I've worn Craghopper Kiwi's for years now, lined version in the winter, zip offs in the summer.
I always use these, or the Regatta or Hi Gear (Go Outdoors) close equivalent. Non lined for me as I don't tend to get cold legs.

I've also had great service from Dickies work shirts in the past when I had a smallholding in Ireland. They were warm and tough for rough work like brush, briar and tree cutting. I still have two old favourites that are well over ten years old. They wouldn't suit me for the window work though as they're too country/lumberjack style.

I've never felt the need to pay big money for fashion labels for work clothing. I have had expensive, big named clothing in the past and I would again if I couldn't find perfectly serviceable, comfortable and long lasting work clothing. But I'm confident it won't ever be an issue. I had a Tommy Hilfiger jacket that was gifted to me by my wife (not for work), it was not cheap I believe but it was rubbish.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never felt the need to pay big money for fashion labels for work clothing. I have had expensive, big named clothing in the past and I would again if I couldn't find perfectly serviceable, comfortable and long lasting work clothing. But I'm confident it won't ever be an issue.
I wouldn't normally in recent years, I've tried cheaper options even Dickies shorts but they have all ended up fading and looking a mess even despite dyeing them they just fade again, I have also wasted money on decent work jackets that have faded and looked a mess sooner than I would have liked. the Dewalt trousers I am hoping will hold up well and not fade and warrant the money i paid for them. 

I wouldn't normally in recent years, I've tried cheaper options even Dickies shorts but they have all ended up fading and looking a mess even despite dyeing them they just fade again, I have also wasted money on decent work jackets that have faded and looked a mess sooner than I would have liked. the Dewalt trousers I am hoping will hold up well and not fade and warrant the money i paid for them. 
I have a Trojan jacket that son purchased from Arco a couple of years ago. It's not very warm but has worn well and not faded. What I dislike about it are the cuffs. They are tightened with Velcro straps; I prefer elasticated cuffs. My pole clamp levers keep getting caught on these cuffs if I don't tighten the Velcro straps enough.

Back