Pricing up 8 bed

Hi guys,

I am really struggling to quote a house. It is 8 bedroom 1 storey ''mansion''.

There are 21 georgians (7ft tall each)
12 normal georgians (5ft)
5 terraced doors (upvc - easy bit)
6 wooden windows (really damaged frames - traditionally needed)
6 velux (2 on the ground floor roof, 4 on the first floor roof)

What bother me a lot is a back garden, where there is a PLENTY of trenches, flowerbeds, bushes, fences, pond, trees..
They said that previous one did it in 4 hours regularly, but now the windows are in a terrible condition, baked mud on terraced doors from dogs, algae on these leaded windows somewhere, not even mentioning velux..

I would charge about £120 initially and £90 regularly, but I feel I am going under the price...

Thank you very much!

If it does take 4 hours, seems a very long time to me, I would have thought £90 is very cheap down your neck of the woods. Can you not ask them what they are expecting to pay or say £120 for first clean and you'll let them know once you've done it.

• Like 2

Can’t determine without pictures. But if the job genuinely takes 4 hours, I wouldn’t do this for your quoted prices. 

Do you think it will take you 4 hours?

Way to cheap where ever you are in the UK, all first cleans for me are double the price. I clean some large houses which are smaller than you describe but if they were taking me 4 hours I'd want £200, what was the other guy doing taking a nap. 

Doesn't sound like it should take that long, but obviously not being able to see it I could be wrong.

You say 1 storey mansion but later refer to velux being on a first floor roof?

£120 sounds o.k for four hours but where I live I would be looking for more, you know your area, I don't.

I think you need to agree a price for a first clean then take it from there.

2 hours ago, Martyn said:

Doesn't sound like it should take that long, but obviously not being able to see it I could be wrong.

You say 1 storey mansion but later refer to velux being on a first floor roof?

£120 sounds o.k for four hours but where I live I would be looking for more, you know your area, I don't.

I think you need to agree a price for a first clean then take it from there.

Mate he is in Berkshire with a £421,000 house price average a mansion would be £3 mill + for that money, I could buy a housing estate of around 30 houses anyone want loan me £3 mill 

1 minute ago, Iron Giant said:

Mate he is in Berkshire with a £421,000 house price average a mansion would be £3 mill + for that money, I could buy a housing estate of around 30 houses anyone want loan me £3 mill 

The place I put up picture of is up for sale for 1:95 million 😂😂

Thanks, guys!
I appreciate so many responses! These obstacles are very tricky, maybe that is why the previous cleaner did it in 4 hours, I will see and that is why I am not able to quote it easily. The property is very complex, with the tower and on this are Velux. I am located in Bracknell-Bagshot-Ascot.. houses are high-esteemed, but people inside greedy. I will take into account your's advice and tell them, that £140 will be for 4 hours, trying to complete it within this time and if I will stay longer... it might be more expensive. But there is a question why the previous cleaner did not turn up for such a lucrative job..

17 minutes ago, JCW said:

Thanks, guys!
I appreciate so many responses! These obstacles are very tricky, maybe that is why the previous cleaner did it in 4 hours, I will see and that is why I am not able to quote it easily. The property is very complex, with the tower and on this are Velux. I am located in Bracknell-Bagshot-Ascot.. houses are high-esteemed, but people inside greedy. I will take into account your's advice and tell them, that £140 will be for 4 hours, trying to complete it within this time and if I will stay longer... it might be more expensive. But there is a question why the previous cleaner did not turn up for such a lucrative job..

You don’t want to give them an hourly price , your price is your price wether it takes 1 hour or 10 hours ,stick to your guns 

3 hours ago, JCW said:

Thanks, guys!

I agree with @Pjj, never mention time! They are paying you for the job be completed not the time taken.

• Agree 2
10 hours ago, JCW said:

Thanks, guys!

Earning £90 for a 4 hour challenging job isn't lucrative, he will earning more cleaning standard houses on a housing estate.

11 hours ago, JCW said:

Thanks, guys!

My question would always be; what happened to the previous cleaner?

Personally, I'm old and for an easy life. I wouldn't even bother quoting with the issues you have identified. It sounds like a job that will always be a pain, no matter how much you earn.

21 hours ago, JCW said:

Hi guys,

I am really struggling to quote a house. It is 8 bedroom 1 storey ''mansion''.

There are 21 georgians (7ft tall each)
12 normal georgians (5ft)
5 terraced doors (upvc - easy bit)
6 wooden windows (really damaged frames - traditionally needed)
6 velux (2 on the ground floor roof, 4 on the first floor roof)

What bother me a lot is a back garden, where there is a PLENTY of trenches, flowerbeds, bushes, fences, pond, trees..
They said that previous one did it in 4 hours regularly, but now the windows are in a terrible condition, baked mud on terraced doors from dogs, algae on these leaded windows somewhere, not even mentioning velux..

I would charge about £120 initially and £90 regularly, but I feel I am going under the price...

Thank you very much!

If they say it took the old cleaner 4 hours then that means it takes 5-6 hours really 😜 

If your going to price it at £90 then thats cheaoper than me and im in the North East(low prices) lol

Your initial clean £120??  The first clean price  should be double at minimum and triple at maximum