Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Hot water cracking glass

Jason g

Hi there I have been using hot water for years with no issues but recently I seem to be cracking some panes of glass.  Once I left the brush on the pane with the water running whilst I answered the phone which obviously was my own stupidity.  However I have noticed 3-4 other panes all upstairs which are cracked and not sure whether I have done this or not.  Starting to be a bit paranoid!!  The water is no hotter than 40 degrees any thoughts ....

Possibly too much dwell time with hot water in one place is my guess. Although as you've been using hot for some time that doesn't seem all that likely. Might be just a coincidence. We've cracked one pane in three years. That was definitely down to too much dwell time in frosty weather. The customer came out chatting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Possibly too much dwell time with hot water in one place is my guess. Although as you've been using hot for some time that doesn't seem all that likely. Might be just a coincidence. We've cracked one pane in three years. That was definitely down to too much dwell time in frosty weather. The customer came out chatting.
All 3 wi does had chips under the plastic trim that couldn’t redeem 

So is it just a coincidence that a couple of panes are cracked ie at 40 degrees with the heat on inside the house it’s nothing to do with what I’m doing?

So is it just a coincidence that a couple of panes are cracked ie at 40 degrees with the heat on inside the house it’s nothing to do with what I’m doing?
My reply is about single panes not double glazed, if they're the A+ rated double glazed units and you've left 40 degree water running against in freezing cold conditions there is a good chance that you have caused the crack.

I would guess houses are about 10 years old

so what’s the solution ? Turn the temperature down to about 30 although I don’t think the outside temperature was overly cold and definitely not minus anytime it has happened 

so what’s the solution ? Turn the temperature down to about 30 although I don’t think the outside temperature was overly cold and definitely not minus anytime it has happened 
Work faster with the brush not staying in one place for any length of time, I'd say.

Keep the brush moving we use water much hotter than that on freezing days without issue , but any existing chips can crack with hot water we have only cracked 3 windiws in 7 years with hot and all had existing damage .

Just to clarify in my case. We use water heated to 60~65c in the tank. If I remember correctly last time I measured the temperature at the brush it was 50c. The air temperature on the day was 1c so windows were very cold. Son and I were both using 100 degree fans as we always do. Both of us were rinsing on, again as we always do. Just keep the brush moving . No need to race or rush, just work at a fairly brisk normal speed. I should think that's standard for most of us. Absolutely no need to worry or get hung up about it. Two of us working together have cracked one pane in three or four years. That only happened because the customer started chatting to my son and he forgot to keep the brush moving.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Posts

Back