Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Splash back from new driveway

MrAdam

Any ideas on how to remove these black marks from splash back of a new driveway.

I’ve tried pink stuff and acetone but no joy.

what cleaning chemicals do you carry? I currently use ubix, pink stuff and acetone. Any recommendations to carry anything else?

Thanks

7D8F03B8-1C36-4F5C-8D66-BAE02038233A.jpeg

Any ideas on how to remove these black marks from splash back of a new driveway.

what cleaning chemicals do you carry? I currently use ubix, pink stuff and acetone. Any recommendations to carry anything else?

Thanks

View attachment 23700
Why are you taking on a problem that isn't yours? What happens if you damage the frame trying to clean it?

Why are you taking on a problem that isn't yours? What happens if you damage the frame trying to clean 

Why are you taking on a problem that isn't yours? What happens if you damage the frame trying to clean it?
It’s a long term customer, a nice easy one and well priced. It’s worth spending the extra 5 mins to do the job properly.

Thanks

View attachment 23700
That window looks like it’s above a flat roof to me??? The felt looks freshly treated the way the water beads up on it 

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m with you. Tar spots. I would have a little go with a plastic scraper but it’s the guys who done the driveway problem to sort out. As said above. 

What is the stuff tar ? Paint? Felt ? Bitumen? Depending what it is will depend on what’s needed to remove it .

You can get stuff for removing tar from car bodywork but I have no idea what that might do to the uPVC.

As others have said it's a problem for the people who did the driveway and their insurance company.

Thanks

View attachment 23700
Using what you've already tried and depending on how you applied it you could have damaged the frame, this is not normal pvc like white frames it's a vynil type wrap or something similar these wraps can be damaged very easily and the damage you may have caused by trying to remove those spots may only be seen in a certain light.

A custy of mine had a concrete imprint patio done, the grey powder they used stained the white frames and self cleaning glass units in the conny roof were absolutely covered in the same stuff, the custy removed the staining from the frames themselves as there was no way I was tackling that job

Sounds like it’s a job to walk away from and get who ever caused the issue to sort it out , I had a customer who had a new fence put up with concrete posts the firm who did it cut the posts with a partner saw and the conservatory windows  and frames were covered in rusty burns they asked me to sort it out I said there is nothing I can do with it it’s permanently damaged , I suggested they get on to the firm that caused the issue , over 12 months later it’s still the same , I certainly wouldn’t accept it but that’s up to them .

Sounds like it’s a job to walk away from and get who ever caused the issue to sort it out , I had a customer who had a new fence put up with concrete posts the firm who did it cut the posts with a partner saw and the conservatory windows  and frames were covered in rusty burns they asked me to sort it out I said there is nothing I can do with it it’s permanently damaged , I suggested they get on to the firm that caused the issue , over 12 months later it’s still the same , I certainly wouldn’t accept it but that’s up to them .
I find that so annoying. Although there are exceptions, in general builders, painters, plasterers, people doing decking, driveways just don't bother about the mess they make to the windows. And even more frustrating is that customers don't seem to care or hold them accountable for damage they cause and want you to sort it out...

I find that so annoying. Although there are exceptions, in general builders, painters, plasterers, people doing decking, driveways just don't bother about the mess they make to the windows. And even more frustrating is that customers don't seem to care or hold them accountable for damage they cause and want you to sort it out...
Indeed, there are quite a few on my round that have burn marks in the glass from angle grinders. 

Even had one painter tell the customer it wasn't his job to clean up the paint on the windows and frames. It's the window cleaner's job - that's what he's paid to do isn't it? The Customer got annoyed when he was told that it wasn't my job to clean up the painter's mess. Goodbye job.

It looks like black dye from driveway paint, if pink stuff won't shift it then likely nothing will, at least not without damaging the plastic. 
If it's a brand new drive when the concrete has gone down and the pattern imprinted they put/sprinkle  a coloured dye powder down. 

this happened on the job I mentioned above, as it happened I was at that job today so had a good look the frames on the roof are totally ruined and  look a dull grey instead of white and the owners haven't managed to shift it all off the window sills on the conny. 

I have no problem in trying to go the extra mile for a loyal or long term customer. Plastic scraper should be fine on them once their is lubrication like a buit of suds to create that barrier. I think it's something you would have to see in person to properly diagnose. Personally i would suds it up and carefully try and scrap top layer off the "substance" off, try it in the corner first. Sometimes I find you have to pierce it for the chems to seep in and do their job. May or may not work but just be careful and do it slowly. You'll know in a few seconds whether it's working or not.

I came across the worst conditioned soffits I have ever seen the other day, drips right across the p*xy thing, no matter what I tried I just couldn't remove it but even though I couldn't get it the way I wanted to, the customer appreciated the effort.

I got sacked off a custy yesterday for not wanting to continue to go the extra mile, I got sick off the muddy patio doors the past few months the doors were covered because of their dog, she was already replaced so happy days ?

I got sacked off a custy yesterday for not wanting to continue to go the extra mile, I got sick off the muddy patio doors the past few months the doors were covered because of their dog, she was already replaced so happy days ?
You didn't want to clean dirt from glass? This seems standard in nearly every house I have done that has a dog. Fair play I suppose if you can streamline your work like that.

Latest Posts

Back