Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Leak from tap to tank help

chris70

Hi over last week all of a sudden got leak from the area of the tap inlet that is flat to tank tried ptfe tape and also rubber washer as yo can see in pic but still leaking any ideas please 

07AC52BB-D96A-4C04-A2A2-D4570877F1AD.jpeg

Try using just a simple elbow rather than the tap/valve thing you’re using. That might be the problem, worth a try. 
Otherwise are you using plenty of Ptfe tape? You need plenty on, enough to make it difficult to screw-in but that’s what makes it seal. 

Try using just a simple elbow rather than the tap/valve thing you’re using. That might be the problem, worth a try. 
Otherwise are you using plenty of Ptfe tape? You need plenty on, enough to make it difficult to screw-in but that’s what makes it seal. 
Did wonder if I’m using enough tape should the base be screwed tight to tank or bit away 

The thread into the tank is a nickle plated brass fitting, the tap is nickle plated brass, the fitting your using between them is Galvanised iron.

My advice from my 11 years on the spanners as a Hydrauluc and pneumatic fitter is the change the galv fitting for a brass fitting.

The galvanised fitting is a BSP tapered thread whereas the other threads are BSP the 2 will go together but not an ideal pairing.

When you take it apart you also need to check that you haven't overtightened the fitting and cracked the female insert in the tank.

Rightly or wrongly, I have mixed up some Araldite before and 'painted' the mixture into the male threads. Just tighten the fitting enough to hold it securely and then leave the joint for a few hours for the glue to set hard. I've used this method on a couple of leaking mains pressure joints which are still good 7 years later.

I love Araldite.

When you take it apart you also need to check that you haven't overtightened the fitting and cracked the female insert in the tank.

Rightly or wrongly, I have mixed up some Araldite before and 'painted' the mixture into the male threads. Just tighten the fitting enough to hold it securely and then leave the joint for a few hours for the glue to set hard. I've used this method on a couple of leaking mains pressure joints which are still good 7 years later.

I love Araldite.
I didn’t know it was still made. It was always great stuff, bet it would be good to glue the bumper on my brush?

Back