Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

back pack blues but iam still smileing

Diamond geezer

Hello everyone,i havent been on the site for Quite some time.I know its March now  but i,d like to wish you all a happy new year.My Gardiners back pack has been playing up of late,i dont use it very much,shes 3yrs old had some caustic10 through a couple of times,only a bit of ubick a couple of times also, always rinsed, I use pure at the back of properties with poor accsess thats all. it was making all the noises,but not pumping water,i gently banged  it on the ground that did the trick,sept last time.I was at the end of a job,luckily,but she ran dry,i filled again but no pumpeth no gentle banging would work,a stream of abuseive language also had no effect! I rememberd a tip some one on this forum gave about helping a sureflow pump to prime its self by sucking on the outlet,Ive just done this on the back pack,hey presstoe she responded imediatly.Thats going to get me out of trouble,but should i  now buy a replacement pump,and an up rated one at that from D/A components  Thanks

Pump does sound iffy to me from what you describe.  As the pump is below the tank and doesn’t have to lift the water over the top of the tank to prime it as on a trolley, it should prime dead easy under the weight of the water and suction from the pump combined. 

Myself, I’d strip it down to give it a thorough check over.  It could be that traces of chemical have degraded the valves in the pump.

Pump does sound iffy to me from what you describe.  As the pump is below the tank and doesn’t have to lift the water over the top of the tank to prime it as on a trolley, it should prime dead easy under the weight of the water and suction from the pump combined. 

Myself, I’d strip it down to give it a thorough check over.  It could be that traces of chemical have degraded the valves in the pump.
Do you know please if you can buy and refit valves only or does it have to be the whole pump?thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't opened one up but it could be a similar situation as happens with Shurflo pumps. The non-return valve sticks on its seat when the pump dries out. To free it we connect the pump up to an outside tap via a length of hose and switch the tap on slowly. The pressure of water releases the non-return valve.

The hose must be connected to the inlet side of the pump. We leave water in our Gardiner backpack all the time.

I haven't opened one up but it could be a similar situation as happens with Shurflo pumps. The non-return valve sticks on its seat when the pump dries out. To free it we connect the pump up to an outside tap via a length of hose and switch the tap on slowly. The pressure of water releases the non-return valve.

The hose must be connected to the inlet side of the pump. We leave water in our Gardiner backpack all the time.
Sorry to hi jack the thread, but just wanted to say thanks @spruce for the link on the reducers for my inner reels. Worked a treat 

I noticed this on a pump I had in storage as a spare for a couple of years.  I put it on my second trolley for my daughter to use, and at first thought I had a duff pump.  Stripped it down to find the valve stuck.  Freed it carefully and put it back together.  It's been working fine for 11 months now. 

I like your tip for freeing it.

I noticed this on a pump I had in storage as a spare for a couple of years.  I put it on my second trolley for my daughter to use, and at first thought I had a duff pump.  Stripped it down to find the valve stuck.  Freed it carefully and put it back together.  It's been working fine for 11 months now. 

I like your tip for freeing it.
I can't take credit for this tip tbh. It came from a poster on one of the forums. I did the same as you once but this worked great last time I had the problem.

Thanks  all for your help on ,my back pack blues. iam working with it still,I leave water in all the time,now (Steve Garwoods coment)that seems to work very well.If it runs dry and wont pump,i use my method,hose on outlet and suckhard till it does,its getting me by prob have to buy new pump soon cheers

Back