Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Cleaning roof windows

bluemaz

Hi 

I'm a potential customer - but not sure if this is a window cleaner job or a roofer job. I have 2 quite smallish roof windows in a pitched tile roof which is on a small extension on a bungalow. The roof windows cannot be seen at all from ground level outside the building. The windows are old top-hung style windows so cannot be rotated for cleaning from inside. Access cannot be got to the windows from the neighbouring property due to them having built up to the boundary. The only way to access these windows for cleaning is from climbing onto the roof.

I am not comfortable with doing this myself and would not expect a window cleaner to be either - or would they? Most of the window cleaning adverts I see about 'impossible to reach' windows involve the use of huge long poles - which in this case would be no good as the user would not be able to see the windows nor bend the pole across the roof from the ground. The pole would need to go up then across.

I have emailed a few local companies but none have replied.

I'm not sure if window cleaners do this type of clean or if I should be contacting a roofer. The job itself, with me supplying the ladder and cleaning kit would take someone probably less than 10 mins actual cleaning. To be clear (no pun intended) it is the windows and not the roof I need to clean.

Any advice would be appreciated including what to expect to pay.

many thanks

We would not climb on a roof to clean them , if they cannot be seen from the ground it’s unlikely they can be cleaned from the ground . Possibly by putting a ladder up to gutter level they might be able to be cleaned on a ladder using water fed pole , this would be down to the individual window cleaner , we personally are so busy with easier work we wouldn’t take the job on , but that’s not to say that others wouldn’t . All the best trying to find someone.

Thanks. I'm thinking is is more a roofer job to be honest so will look for one. I can't post pics of the window (only inside) which is prob not much help.

Thanks. I'm thinking is is more a roofer job to be honest so will look for one. I can't post pics of the window (only inside) which is prob not much help.
Picture of the building and the area around it would suffice. You might be able to get them with a long gooseneck. If you can't you'll need to look for a traditional cleaner as they will more then likely be happy to climb on the roof. I'd be concerned about cracked tiles though. 

I’ll add to this, you say it probably is a ten minute job but expect to pay good money for it, otherwise it’s not worth while. A window cleaner that is able to do it would probably charge a hours rate at least. A roofer I don’t know, maybe half a day? 

I do a couple of velux windows on an extension that cannot be seen from the ground.  I simply put a ladder up against the gutters and go up a couple of steps and reach with my pole.  Only takes a few minutes.

As others have said, put up a picture.  If not, just contact a few local window cleaners and ask them round for a quote but don't say anything about the roof windows until they visit for a quote.

Back