Don't want to see ads? Become a subscribed member.

54 Renault trafic

Hi guys calling all renault trafic drivers.

Fault this morning and haven't had time for garage to look.

Started up fine cold drove to top of street rev counter drops when stopped van shuddering as if it going to stall.

Did it every time I slowed down to stop untill engine was at high temp.

Then seemed fine.

Did few houses set off same again till temp gauge was in middle normal working temp.

Any ideas no lights on.

Thanks

1 hour ago, ched999uk said:

Have you tried reading codes? A cheap ELM327 bluetooth code reader about £10 and bluetooths to your phone (Android not sure about ios) That might help reading fuel pressure, air flow (MAF sensor), crank position sensor etc.

will this help even though there is no lights on dashboard ?

57 minutes ago, HALTON said:

will this help even though there is no lights on dashboard ?

I can't guarantee it will help but codes can still be stored in the ecu even if they don't put any lights on dash. Be warned sometimes codes can be misleading but sometimes they can tell you what is wrong. i.e. if it gives you a code that suggests the MAF (Mass Air Flow) sensor is faulty it could be the MAF or a cable connecting it to the ecu, the code can't differentiate!

If you are not mechanically minded then it might just be worth taking it to a trusted mechanic. 

• Agree 1

Flippin french vans. My driver side electric window started playing up today on my Peugeot expert. It's intermittent. One minute it works next it doesn't want to know.

1 hour ago, Crystalalan said:

Flippin french vans. My driver side electric window started playing up today on my Peugeot expert. It's intermittent. One minute it works next it doesn't want to know.

Sounds like a cracked wire between the door and the A pillar it’s making and breaking that’s why it does and doesn’t work all the time it’s a very common situation with a lot of vehicles 

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Pjj said:

Sounds like a cracked wire between the door and the A pillar it’s making and breaking that’s why it does and doesn’t work all the time it’s a very common situation with a lot of vehicles 

Ahh thanks paul. Gonna check the out when I get a spare moment.

6 minutes ago, Crystalalan said:

Ahh thanks paul. Gonna check the out when I get a spare moment.

If you have a dual window controller switch that operates the passenger window as well and the passenger window works fine then the possibility of the problem is in the rocker switch on the door. But then again it depends on how the van is wired up. 

As per @Pjjthe wiring harness been the door and the A pillar is another favourite trouble spot.

Hummmmm borrowed m8 elm and torque app.

Will not connect to ecu looks like elm not supported on renault trafic 54 reg.

Sounds like possible EGR problems to me, that or a sticky idle control valve, but i would expect that to have trouble idling full stop when cold, not just when slowing down/dropping revs.

9 hours ago, spruce said:

If you have a dual window controller switch that operates the passenger window as well and the passenger window works fine then the possibility of the problem is in the rocker switch on the door. But then again it depends on how the van is wired up. 

As per @Pjjthe wiring harness been the door and the A pillar is another favourite trouble spot.

nice one spruce. Yes it is actually just the driver side but yes it is a dual controller switch.

1 hour ago, HALTON said:

Well I disconnected wires on egr let's see what happens now.

Cheers 

That might work, or it may be stuck open. is it the 1.9 or 2.0 dci? 1.9 is a nice easy thing to take off and clean, the 2.0....well....better of changing the van?

Yeh 1.9 looks like 3 bolts I think.

Going to run it over weekend first see what happens.

Thanks

@HALTONthese vans have a few electrical issues, first thing i would check is the blue plug 10mm socket to remove the expansion bottle on the right hand side to get to the fuse box and undo the blue connector and then clean up the connections with fine emery paper-that usually solves a multitude of problems with that engine, also check the wires to the injectors as they are known to suffer from chafing,egr's get coked up and really should be cleaned out yearly along with a service but i think your problem is a small one and easily resolved.

Im sure I read somewhere that you can even fit the EGR back on upside down to turn it into its own blanking plate?

On 14/03/2021 at 17:00, kevinc250 said:

@HALTONthese vans have a few electrical issues, first thing i would check is the blue plug 10mm socket to remove the expansion bottle on the right hand side to get to the fuse box and undo the blue connector and then clean up the connections with fine emery paper-that usually solves a multitude of problems with that engine, also check the wires to the injectors as they are known to suffer from chafing,egr's get coked up and really should be cleaned out yearly along with a service but i think your problem is a small one and easily resolved.

Cheers m8 will check still doing it  so something not right.

7 hours ago, Robt100 said:

Im sure I read somewhere that you can even fit the EGR back on upside down to turn it into its own blanking plate?

Yeh seen that on youtube.

There only cheap on ebay £25 pr so pounds

Don't want to see ads? Become a subscribed member.