Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Which chemicals to use?

Danny91

What chemicals do most people use to clean roofs? Got my first one booked in for next week and not sure what’s best to use, new to the roof clean so nothing too strong but Want a good result? Don’t mind doing my research but just want to know what to research, looked at Benz Softwash Is that a good go to ?

You have 3 choices 

1 . Pressure wash roof 

2. Scrape and biocide  treatment 

3. Scrape roof and soft wash with a hypo mix .

All 3 methods will work and all have there place , Benz biocides and lightning cleanse ( hypo) are both good products but make sure you know how to use each safely for yourself, the customer and pets and the environment , and of course have the correct PPE for the product being used . Last point don’t believe all you read and see on YouTube. ??

Hi mate you seem like the man around here thankyou for your reply! I’ve got the roof scraping kit from spinaclean, I’ve also got a pole and the gardiner backpack, I think the hypo from what I’ve read brings the more instant results out which I think seems a lot better with the prices I want to charge I don’t feel comfortable asking for that sort of money and walking away telling them it’ll be 18 months before they see the full results, is there any go to guys for videos and reviews of the hypo mixtures to watch and learn from? Like you say don’t believe everything I see haha just don’t want to waste my time researching a certain persons methods if it’s all a lie, cheers mate really appreciate it 

Hi mate you seem like the man around here thankyou for your reply! I’ve got the roof scraping kit from spinaclean, I’ve also got a pole and the gardiner backpack, I think the hypo from what I’ve read brings the more instant results out which I think seems a lot better with the prices I want to charge I don’t feel comfortable asking for that sort of money and walking away telling them it’ll be 18 months before they see the full results, is there any go to guys for videos and reviews of the hypo mixtures to watch and learn from? Like you say don’t believe everything I see haha just don’t want to waste my time researching a certain persons methods if it’s all a lie, cheers mate really appreciate it 
Lol don’t know about that ?? the videos on the Benz website are good and I would take a look at them should be helpful 

I’ve watched them all mate do you recommend the lightning cleanze? And would you say just mix it up in the gardiner backpack and give the whole roof a scrub with a stiff brush on the wfp? Just seems a little too easy for the money maybe I’m missing something haha

I’ve watched them all mate do you recommend the lightning cleanze? And would you say just mix it up in the gardiner backpack and give the whole roof a scrub with a stiff brush on the wfp? Just seems a little too easy for the money maybe I’m missing something haha
We scrape the roof first if it’s needed , you can apply the mix by spray with the correct nozzle or through an old brush on a low flow rate and work it in to the tiles , if it’s a hot day wet the roof down first with a garden hose tk cool it so the mix doesn’t evaporate /dry out to quickly , re apply if nessasary leave 30-45 muinits then thorough rinse with the hose . 

Do you have any before and after pictures of this method? There’s a bloke that does the same kind of work not too far from me but he doesn’t use hypo and his roofs takes a good 3/6 months before they start looking good, I think learning this could give me the edge to push my sales that bit more!

Do you have any before and after pictures of this method? There’s a bloke that does the same kind of work not too far from me but he doesn’t use hypo and his roofs takes a good 3/6 months before they start looking good, I think learning this could give me the edge to push my sales that bit more!
The pictures below the roof was scraped and sprayed with Benz biocide it took 3-4 months before the orange algi died and came off .The tiles are in really bad condition they are artificial slate not asbestos. 

The last 2 pictures are what the roof looks like now after almost 2:5 years since it was treated it’s starting to grow back due to contamination from the surrounding buildings 

FAFA7715-D301-4931-9019-6D90C62AE9D8.jpeg

43B774D9-A70E-4E2B-B1DD-BF5E7829B9DB.jpeg

CA762B78-F132-4781-AC8B-9D0D364BF10F.jpeg

DC9C5CCC-976B-4C44-9F8F-1909F7A8F12E.jpeg

D09F16C5-9529-4CEB-B341-1192DD06B140.jpeg

C5F0898F-48DD-40FC-86AD-B4EA0A9A34C7.jpeg

94E2E12B-0E93-4B24-9329-4C74795167A6.jpeg

91EAA583-EC93-4328-93E0-FF9075B771DA.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back