Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Medium brush or soft brush for wooden frames

Jamespf1

Hi all, 

do people find using a soft brush works best of wooden frame windows or a medium stiff brush? 
They are timber sash windows in a okay condition. Not terrible but not the best kept.

many thanks 

Wooden windows = flock

sash window = ultimate brush

wooden sash = ultimate flock ?

brushes are a personal thing I love extremes brushes but I do like a ultimate brush for sash windows.

Wooden windows = flock

sash window = ultimate brush

wooden sash = ultimate flock ?

brushes are a personal thing I love extremes brushes but I do like a ultimate brush for sash windows.
i very rarely change brushes during my working day...in truth it makes very little difference....i mainly use a stiff xtreme brush for most window cleaning work but will swap to a SL flocked brush for dirty first cleans and some delicate leaded (and will use different brushes for solar panels and plastic cleans).thats it.....

i very rarely change brushes during my working day...in truth it makes very little difference....i mainly use a stiff xtreme brush for most window cleaning work but will swap to a SL flocked brush for dirty first cleans and some delicate leaded (and will use different brushes for solar panels and plastic cleans).thats it.....
We all have our go to brushes I understand that ? but the original poster wanted to know best brush for not so great wooden sash then the ultimate flock is the best suited brush for that particular job ?

We all have our go to brushes I understand that ? but the original poster wanted to know best brush for not so great wooden sash then the ultimate flock is the best suited brush for that particular job ?
I will use a brush bumper as well if needed depending on how old the windows are just as an extra precaution. 

I have a round in a old traditional country village, all of them have wooden painted sash windows. Ultimate flocked and supreme flocked work best for me. If it’s been recently painted & good condition, I might use ultimate medium soft. But with any wooden frame window, just work a little slower in general, working fast and whacking against the frames will flake paint etc. (Don’t mean to sound patronising ?)

I have a round in a old traditional country village, all of them have wooden painted sash windows. Ultimate flocked and supreme flocked work best for me. If it’s been recently painted & good condition, I might use ultimate medium soft. But with any wooden frame window, just work a little slower in general, working fast and whacking against the frames will flake paint etc. (Don’t mean to sound patronising ?)
Thanks for the tip. I only have a ultimate medium brush or a sill brush. Which would you advise using? 

is there a particular method you use when doing timber frame sash windows? I’ve seen some people clean top half of the window and then come back and finish the bottom half.

fans or jets for sash windows? I prefer fans on your standard window but feel like a jet might blast any bits out of each individual corner. What do you reckon? 

thanks 

Thanks for the tip. I only have a ultimate medium brush or a sill brush. Which would you advise using? 

is there a particular method you use when doing timber frame sash windows? I’ve seen some people clean top half of the window and then come back and finish the bottom half.

fans or jets for sash windows? I prefer fans on your standard window but feel like a jet might blast any bits out of each individual corner. What do you reckon? 

thanks 
Ultimate medium or sill should be fine.

If there’s windows next to each other then yeah, I’ll do all the frames all around the window first (don’t forget to turn the pole upside down and do the frame and that goes across at the bottom of the top pane, easy to forget that) then I’ll do the top glass pane, go to next window, as I says if it’s on the same wall, then come back and do lower pane & sill. 

I only use pencil jets, so can’t comment on that. But see what you feel is best for you. 

Ultimate medium or sill should be fine.

If there’s windows next to each other then yeah, I’ll do all the frames all around the window first (don’t forget to turn the pole upside down and do the frame and that goes across at the bottom of the top pane, easy to forget that) then I’ll do the top glass pane, go to next window, as I says if it’s on the same wall, then come back and do lower pane & sill. 

I only use pencil jets, so can’t comment on that. But see what you feel is best for you. 
Thanks very much

If they're delicate, especially with Georgian bars and small panes, I'd work the brush in a circular motion rather than square except of course for the main framework which I'd run along as normal. Make sure to sweep out the corners and along the bars. Start top left and go along a level at a time from top to bottom, for instance. Finish with the sill.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back