Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

First Gutter Cleans

Daniel Perkins

Premium Member
So, got sky vac atom mighty and have done just two cleans and already I have learned some things. Firstly it is a f**king messy job and all my new shiny tools stayed new and shiny for about 10 mins lol. I found the setup to be slow enough which is fine but the clean up afterwards is tough e.g. cleaning the drum, flushing the hose which I had to to let drip dry, flushing poles, wiping down the poles, cleaning the filter. Obviously with a new machine I am wiping down the exterior, scrubbing inside of drum etc and everything and it is taking an age as I am being pedantic. I can see myself as time goes on doing the bare minimum and just flushing the poles/hose & quickly removing all the sludge from the drum. I know it's very early days but I did find it a bit tedious if I am honest.

The first job I did was my neighbors 2 story, the tiles where close to the gutters, I laughed at how many scratches were on the end tools after I finished. The other one Sky had their cables in there which was fine but also the dual connectors and there was a huge clump of muck and long grass wrapped around the dual connector and I could not remove it for the life of me, it was absolutely wedged in. I found that the vac was just sucking the length of the grass which was about 5 inches to be fair and then letting go if that makes sense.  Anyways whether my technique is poor (which I have no doubts it is) or the Atom Mighty isn't strong enough i'm not sure, maybe both. I'll post a pic below so it make a bit more sense. Also there was several broken pieces of tiles in the gutter too which was lovely. I suppose jumpin gup on a ladder and pulling that out would have took a few mins, obviously the benefits of what you guys were saying about having a ladder handy.

1615988838524_20210317_123436 (1).JPG

1615988883695_20210317_121517 (1).JPG

Trying to work with the camera was a disaster, glare off the screen was a nightmare and I spent so much time a*sing around with that. I think from now on in I will just use the camera to inspect before and after. It's so weird starting something new, enjoyable but obviously frustrating because I'm new to it and I know I will be making mistakes for awhile. It reminds me when I started WFP, tripping over hoses, banging into thing etc. I'll take it slow and see how I go.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to gutter vacuuming ???

The atom will get that grass clump you just need to get it to seal on the cr4p and give it a little wiggle ??

With a weaker powered vacuum its deffo more about technique, youll get it after a few jobs under your belt.

As @HWCS says, it’s all down to technique with the atom. I’m yet to find something it won’t get out, granted some bits of turf would probably be quicker with a bigger machine but the atom still does the job. Get a seal on a bit of turf and rock side to side gradually loosening it, or if that fails work your way along it bit by but with the metal tool chipping away at it.

With regards to cleaning, just suck up a bucket of clean water at the end then quick spray of the basket filter with garden hose to remove any remaining ****. Don’t use the fabric filter unless you’re sucking up really dry stuff.

It will get quicker and less messy every time you do it and find your techniques!!

So, got sky vac atom mighty and have done just two cleans and already I have learned some things. Firstly it is a f**king messy job and all my new shiny tools stayed new and shiny for about 10 mins lol. I found the setup to be slow enough which is fine but the clean up afterwards is tough e.g. cleaning the drum, flushing the hose which I had to to let drip dry, flushing poles, wiping down the poles, cleaning the filter. Obviously with a new machine I am wiping down the exterior, scrubbing inside of drum etc and everything and it is taking an age as I am being pedantic. I can see myself as time goes on doing the bare minimum and just flushing the poles/hose & quickly removing all the sludge from the drum. I know it's very early days but I did find it a bit tedious if I am honest.

The first job I did was my neighbors 2 story, the tiles where close to the gutters, I laughed at how many scratches were on the end tools after I finished. The other one Sky had their cables in there which was fine but also the dual connectors and there was a huge clump of muck and long grass wrapped around the dual connector and I could not remove it for the life of me, it was absolutely wedged in. I found that the vac was just sucking the length of the grass which was about 5 inches to be fair and then letting go if that makes sense.  Anyways whether my technique is poor (which I have no doubts it is) or the Atom Mighty isn't strong enough i'm not sure, maybe both. I'll post a pic below so it make a bit more sense. Also there was several broken pieces of tiles in the gutter too which was lovely. I suppose jumpin gup on a ladder and pulling that out would have took a few mins, obviously the benefits of what you guys were saying about having a ladder handy.

View attachment 23838

View attachment 23839

Trying to work with the camera was a disaster, glare off the screen was a nightmare and I spent so much time a*sing around with that. I think from now on in I will just use the camera to inspect before and after. It's so weird starting something new, enjoyable but obviously frustrating because I'm new to it and I know I will be making mistakes for awhile. It reminds me when I started WFP, tripping over hoses, banging into thing etc. I'll take it slow and see how I go.
Seems like a good review mate. This is what I was doubting about getting one. Gutters can be cleared very quickly by ladder and the faffing about setting up etc is putting me off. Then I say the same it will probably be like when I started wfp and got used to it. I’m more inclined to go for the smaller machine for sludgy gutters. I think it would be great for that

I’ve recently got my own gutter vac too. I went for the Panther from GVS. I encountered some tough gutters the other day too. As has been said already, I tried to attack the edges of the clumps. Seemed to work well. The camera set up i have connects to my phone, so sun glare isn’t a problem. The must admit i personally find the camera handy ??

Here is a video of the clean:

27 minutes ago, ShropsWindowCleaner said:

I’ve recently got my own gutter vac too. I went for the Panther from GVS. I encountered some tough gutters the other day too. As has been said already, I tried to attack the edges of the clumps. Seemed to work well. The camera set up i have connects to my phone, so sun glare isn’t a problem. The must admit i personally find the camera handy ??

Here is a video of the clean:

Looks as annoying as a grab a teddy bear machine at the amusements ?

How have you been getting on with it? Are you convinced by the panther ? 

Looks as annoying as a grab a teddy bear machine at the amusements ?

How have you been getting on with it? Are you convinced by the panther ? 
?? It was a bit frustrating. They were proper clinging to tile and gutter. Yeh the Panther is awesome mate. I only do domestic, and so far it has cleared everything it has come across. Easy to clean and small enough to keep in my van all the time. Would definitely recommend ??

?? It was a bit frustrating. They were proper clinging to tile and gutter. Yeh the Panther is awesome mate. I only do domestic, and so far it has cleared everything it has come across. Easy to clean and small enough to keep in my van all the time. Would definitely recommend ??
Would you say it is much quicker than doing them by hand with the panther 

Would you say it is much quicker than doing them by hand with the panther 
Overall yes I would. Granted, setting up takes longer than getting your ladder off the van. But then you work from the ground without multiple trips up the ladder. It also depend on factors like how full the gutter is? What is it full of? Is it over a conservatory or roof? Overall I would say it is faster. And 100% safer - which always has to be ones top priority. ??

Cheers for the advice lads, yeah I'll keep plugging away. I enjoyed the challenge of learning something new that could potentially be a lovely add on service. I have to look at getting a few more thing now I think, likes of:

1) Good quality extension lead

https://www.screwfix.ie/p/pro-xt-13a-4-gang-40m-cable-reel-240v/8086g

2) Appropriate Generator (Anyone ever heard of the brand Pacini?)

https://ige.ie/pacini-3-5kva-petrol-7hp-generator/

Are inverter genies worth getting? I think i need minimum 2.7kva generator for the atom mighty judging by what I have read although I could be wrong. Found this one on amazon, i'm sure others have asked about this brand too on here.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Böhmer-AG-Petrol-Inverter-Generator-i-5000W/dp/B07ZNZT86H/ref=pd_rhf_se_s_sspa_dk_rhf_search_pt_sub_0_1/261-7271919-3838531?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07ZNZT86H&pd_rd_r=8e7ac264-a25a-4b83-a1c7-9d4ef8623943&pd_rd_w=6a1fy&pd_rd_wg=z3Icm&pf_rd_p=037edbae-d42c-4274-a746-cd8a89481730&pf_rd_r=CP7H14YRMHSB96D2CBWR&psc=1&refRID=CP7H14YRMHSB96D2C

3) A decent set of ladders & roof racks to put them on, I still have to have a look for the, any recommendations are more than welcome.

Hi I'm new to the game as well and let's be honest it defo looks easier on you tube and any demonstration videos that you see.

I've done a fair few gutter jobs now and you are right it does get easier. There's definitely a knack to it. 

However, you will always come across a nightmare job from time to time. I had one a couple of weeks ago. Don't know if you saw the thread but the gap was so narrow you could hardly move the nozzle! Was there bloody ages ?Just have to price it right and allow extra time than you normally would.

I sound like a pro now... I'm not ?

Overall yes I would. Granted, setting up takes longer than getting your ladder off the van. But then you work from the ground without multiple trips up the ladder. It also depend on factors like how full the gutter is? What is it full of? Is it over a conservatory or roof? Overall I would say it is faster. And 100% safer - which always has to be ones top priority. ??
Agreed. Only have to fall once, as they say 

Cheers for the advice lads, yeah I'll keep plugging away. I enjoyed the challenge of learning something new that could potentially be a lovely add on service. I have to look at getting a few more thing now I think, likes of:

1) Good quality extension lead

https://www.screwfix.ie/p/pro-xt-13a-4-gang-40m-cable-reel-240v/8086g

2) Appropriate Generator (Anyone ever heard of the brand Pacini?)

https://ige.ie/pacini-3-5kva-petrol-7hp-generator/

Are inverter genies worth getting? I think i need minimum 2.7kva generator for the atom mighty judging by what I have read although I could be wrong. Found this one on amazon, i'm sure others have asked about this brand too on here.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Böhmer-AG-Petrol-Inverter-Generator-i-5000W/dp/B07ZNZT86H/ref=pd_rhf_se_s_sspa_dk_rhf_search_pt_sub_0_1/261-7271919-3838531?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07ZNZT86H&pd_rd_r=8e7ac264-a25a-4b83-a1c7-9d4ef8623943&pd_rd_w=6a1fy&pd_rd_wg=z3Icm&pf_rd_p=037edbae-d42c-4274-a746-cd8a89481730&pf_rd_r=CP7H14YRMHSB96D2CBWR&psc=1&refRID=CP7H14YRMHSB96D2C

3) A decent set of ladders & roof racks to put them on, I still have to have a look for the, any recommendations are more than welcome.
Hi Daniel. Im in ireland as well and hoping to start an exterior cleaning business in the next few weeks. Im looking at the 1700w Panther and was wondering about a generator. At the moment are u just using customers electricity? Do they seem to mind you using it? I was wondering would it be better to just be completely self sufficient. 

Hi Daniel. Im in ireland as well and hoping to start an exterior cleaning business in the next few weeks. Im looking at the 1700w Panther and was wondering about a generator. At the moment are u just using customers electricity? Do they seem to mind you using it? I was wondering would it be better to just be completely self sufficient. 
It's better to be self sufficient but when you are starting out sometimes it's better to spend less money. When you go to quote a job just inform the custy that you need to use their power but you will supply the extension cable. If they are not happy then don't take on the job.  

GVS have a new 2000 watt geny that might be up to the 1700 watt Panther I am sure @Julia Martin will know the answer to a geny for the 1700 watt Panther.

It's better to be self sufficient but when you are starting out sometimes it's better to spend less money. When you go to quote a job just inform the custy that you need to use their power but you will supply the extension cable. If they are not happy then don't take on the job.  

GVS have a new 2000 watt geny that might be up to the 1700 watt Panther I am sure @Julia Martin will know the answer to a geny for the 1700 watt Panther.
Great. Thanks for the reply. 

View attachment 23838

View attachment 23839

If you get some cardboard and gaffa tape make yourself a sun shade or buy one. 

You can get sunshades for phones and most size tft led monitors. I’ve been flying commercial drones for years so had a few spare 

Most suitcase generator listed as 2kw have an average constant load of between 1700watts and maximum peak of 2kw, you will find that heavy demand in suction will most likely peak the generator and rev it's nuts off. I personally recommend a 3.4kw available from machine mart for good money £400 

Clarke IG3500AF 3.4kW

Hey Mick,

So far all good but I can absolutely see why a generator might be necessary and I will go do that route in time. I ask do they mind me plugging an extension lead into socket when the quote is accepted and everyone has been fine about it thus far. I ended up buying an Atom Mighty 1600w and I emailed Spinaclean asking them about a generator. They replied with this:

"Hi Daniel, the Atom will require a minimum 2.7kva generator, we do have these available on our website too - hope this helps!"

I personally will be going for a 3.4kw as mentioned by Apw above, he really knows his stuff. 

Hey Mick,

So far all good but I can absolutely see why a generator might be necessary and I will go do that route in time. I ask do they mind me plugging an extension lead into socket when the quote is accepted and everyone has been fine about it thus far. I ended up buying an Atom Mighty 1600w and I emailed Spinaclean asking them about a generator. They replied with this:

"Hi Daniel, the Atom will require a minimum 2.7kva generator, we do have these available on our website too - hope this helps!"

I personally will be going for a 3.4kw as mentioned by Apw above, he really knows his stuff. 
Apologies for high jacking your comment. Spinaclean have ill-advised you with reference to a generator 

If the atom is 1700watts a 2.7kva generator will be at it's listed peak because a vacuum is a resistive load and if it were to become blocked it would throttle the AVR.

The Clarke is a great generator and very lightweight for it's compact enclosed frame. A far greater tank capacity meaning less fuelling on the job.

I personally have 2 of them and also the newer compact 1700w model.

Austin 

Latest Posts

Back