Don't want to see ads? Become a subscribed member.

Old advertising text removal

Job is an old cafe my friend has recently taken over - on the inside of the windows is this ghost text that only show up when the windows get steamed up, I tried to remove it using bronze wool and sticker remover but it didn’t remove it. Has anyone seen this before and know a way to remove it ? Thanks in advance. 

A7624E77-E6F5-43B0-9123-381BB8565D77.jpeg

035A5612-6B1A-491A-B7C2-3E93A21F5D6B.jpeg

Not had this myself but based on what I keep in my van I would try Cif then if that failed Crystal Clear 550.

Good luck!

• Like 2
18 hours ago, DeLaCruz said:

Job is an old cafe my friend has recently taken over - on the inside of the windows is this ghost text that only show up when the windows get steamed up, I tried to remove it using bronze wool and sticker remover but it didn’t remove it. Has anyone seen this before and know a way to remove it ? Thanks in advance. 

A7624E77-E6F5-43B0-9123-381BB8565D77.jpeg

035A5612-6B1A-491A-B7C2-3E93A21F5D6B.jpeg

Is this the only window that does it when its steamed up?

And what is steaming it up?

Adessive remover and a good scrub with #0000 steel wool, would be my best guess.

Edited by laddergarder
4 hours ago, swc1 said:

Is this the only window that does it when its steamed up?

And what is steaming it up?

It’s a cafe so in colder months gets steamed up - it’s so weird bc I scrubbed it with bronze wool and it didn’t touch it and glass appears completely clear to touch and when it’s not steamed up 

6 minutes ago, DeLaCruz said:

It’s a cafe so in colder months gets steamed up - it’s so weird bc I scrubbed it with bronze wool and it didn’t touch it and glass appears completely clear to touch and when it’s not steamed up 

Not tried it myself but maybe isopropyl alcohol?

• Like 2
5 hours ago, ched999uk said:

Not tried it myself but maybe isopropyl alcohol?

just got some will give it a try - such a puzzle bc seems like the surface is clean so would be great to solve it and get a result

5 hours ago, DeLaCruz said:

It maybe the oposite of what you are thinking. Maybe the vynal has protect the glass from greese biuld up, and what you really need to do it go over the whole window with degreaser. Cafes get allot of biuld up of greese over time.

I would use ammonia, but its quite hazardous stuff, so if your not sure, a good over the counter degreaser should work. Rubbing alcohol should also work well on greese.

Edited by laddergarder
9 hours ago, Martyn said:

Ammonia, stinks like the p*ss of a thousand tom cats. 🤣

It really does. You shouldn't really breath the stuff in, but it will melt off greese. 

Posted (edited)

Which ammonium is best for this guys ? I googled it and all kinds came up - I have Virosol degreaser so could try that neat maybe ? 

Edited by DeLaCruz
On 18/03/2021 at 08:19, DeLaCruz said:

That's weird.  Is double pane glass? Possibly a blown seal?

On 18/03/2021 at 08:19, DeLaCruz said:

It doesnt sound like grease or anything like that, bronze wool will shift grease not remove it.

But you said feels smooth to the touch, which grease ect you'll feel it lol. 😉

31 minutes ago, DeLaCruz said:

I will film it on the gopro when i go down thjis week - think @Pjj mentioned he had a similar problem in a clean he does 

I have a job that when it’s damp there is a lattice effect on the glass this is outside , there is nothing on the glass and you cannot feel it either it only shows up when the window is wet or damp  . 

• Like 2
12 hours ago, Pjj said:

I have a job that when it’s damp there is a lattice effect on the glass this is outside , there is nothing on the glass and you cannot feel it either it only shows up when the window is wet or damp  . 

I have this on a three house on a patio windows on a new estate when it’s wet only thing I can think of is a manufacturing process like hydrophobic but it’s more of a lattice effect.

Looks like it maybe potentially not possible to clean then ? Will give it a go and see what i can do and let you know what happens

On 21/03/2021 at 12:31, Pjj said:

It could the process of the glass manufacturing. I've seen that, and it was a manufacturing defect in the glass.

12 hours ago, DeLaCruz said:

Looks like it maybe potentially not possible to clean then ? Will give it a go and see what i can do and let you know what happens

Let's use know how it goes.

Don't want to see ads? Become a subscribed member.