Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Old advertising text removal

DeLaCruz

Job is an old cafe my friend has recently taken over - on the inside of the windows is this ghost text that only show up when the windows get steamed up, I tried to remove it using bronze wool and sticker remover but it didn’t remove it. Has anyone seen this before and know a way to remove it ? Thanks in advance. 

A7624E77-E6F5-43B0-9123-381BB8565D77.jpeg

035A5612-6B1A-491A-B7C2-3E93A21F5D6B.jpeg

Not had this myself but based on what I keep in my van I would try Cif then if that failed Crystal Clear 550.

Good luck!

Job is an old cafe my friend has recently taken over - on the inside of the windows is this ghost text that only show up when the windows get steamed up, I tried to remove it using bronze wool and sticker remover but it didn’t remove it. Has anyone seen this before and know a way to remove it ? Thanks in advance. 

View attachment 23842

View attachment 23843
Is this the only window that does it when its steamed up?

And what is steaming it up?

Is this the only window that does it when its steamed up?

And what is steaming it up?
It’s a cafe so in colder months gets steamed up - it’s so weird bc I scrubbed it with bronze wool and it didn’t touch it and glass appears completely clear to touch and when it’s not steamed up 

It’s a cafe so in colder months gets steamed up - it’s so weird bc I scrubbed it with bronze wool and it didn’t touch it and glass appears completely clear to touch and when it’s not steamed up 
It maybe the oposite of what you are thinking. Maybe the vynal has protect the glass from greese biuld up, and what you really need to do it go over the whole window with degreaser. Cafes get allot of biuld up of greese over time.

I would use ammonia, but its quite hazardous stuff, so if your not sure, a good over the counter degreaser should work. Rubbing alcohol should also work well on greese.

Last edited by a moderator:
Which ammonium is best for this guys ? I googled it and all kinds came up - I have Virosol degreaser so could try that neat maybe ? 

Last edited by a moderator:
That's weird.  Is double pane glass? Possibly a blown seal?

It doesnt sound like grease or anything like that, bronze wool will shift grease not remove it.

But you said feels smooth to the touch, which grease ect you'll feel it lol. ?

I will film it on the gopro when i go down thjis week - think @Pjj mentioned he had a similar problem in a clean he does 
I have a job that when it’s damp there is a lattice effect on the glass this is outside , there is nothing on the glass and you cannot feel it either it only shows up when the window is wet or damp  . 

I have a job that when it’s damp there is a lattice effect on the glass this is outside , there is nothing on the glass and you cannot feel it either it only shows up when the window is wet or damp  . 
I have this on a three house on a patio windows on a new estate when it’s wet only thing I can think of is a manufacturing process like hydrophobic but it’s more of a lattice effect.

Looks like it maybe potentially not possible to clean then ? Will give it a go and see what i can do and let you know what happens

It could the process of the glass manufacturing. I've seen that, and it was a manufacturing defect in the glass.

It could the process of the glass manufacturing. I've seen that, and it was a manufacturing defect in the glass.
I did wonder if when the glass was made if it ran along something lattice like and it left marks on the glass , when it’s dry it looks fine it’s only when wet or damp misty that it showed up ???? 

Back