Don't want to see ads? Become a subscribed member.

Noisy booster pump

Hey everyone, hope you are all well!

Hopefully a straightforward tap in to your vast collective knowledge-

I have changed for a bigger booster pump on my RO system - and it’s great, doubled my water output- but sounds like ball bearings rattling around inside!  Anyone come across this before? Suggestions? Could just be a new noise from a new pump that I’m not used to but thought I’d check for peace of mind.

Jet 1100 booster sound.mp3

Sounds like air in the system, or you don’t have enough flow. Mine also gets noisy when the pre-filter gets clogged and need changing

1 minute ago, AGlassAct said:

Sounds like air in the system, or you don’t have enough flow. Mine also gets noisy when the pre-filter gets clogged and need changing

Thanks, wondered that-new prefilters as well so shouldn’t be that, but we do sometimes have problems with low water pressure, just assumed the booster pump would overcome that.

I cannot get the video to play but mine sounds what you have described and it’s still going 7 years later 😂😂😂 I just shut the van doors that makes it a bit quieter. 

1 minute ago, Pjj said:

I cannot get the video to play but mine sounds what you have described and it’s still going 7 years later 😂😂😂 I just shut the van doors that makes it a bit quieter. 

Thanks pjj-That’s great to know, it’s just an audio file not video as my phone will only shoot in 4K so about 1/2sec of the maximum file size! 
It does occasionally sound like loads of bubbles going through so perhaps it’s a low water supply....

Run your system for 5-10 minutes without the booster pump to allow the air to pass through all so make sure every fitting is tightened up or pushed in or whatever it maybe. I also find sometimes quickly flushing the system can push the air through quickly and the it will settle down. 

Booster pumps will make loads of noise if they cannot get enough water. You often find this when someone in your house turns on the tap.

30 minutes ago, doug atkinson said:

Booster pumps will make loads of noise if they cannot get enough water. You often find this when someone in your house turns on the tap.

True, I try and remember to fill the kettle etc before production

Don't want to see ads? Become a subscribed member.