Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Hypo use on terraced houses

DeLaCruz

Have been getting quite a few enquiires for cleaning houses on estates. The houses are terraced close together with cars parked and have not the best drainage. I have been thinking of a list of possible precautions to ensure a good job done safely is achieved.

Wanted to hear how other people approach these kind of jobs ?

Is hypo a no go in areas where you almost can't ensure zero people walking past ? I would pretty bad about wearing a chemical mask spraying a house where there is the possibility of general public walking or driving past ). Of  course i would ensure no cars were parked within distance of the job. I was considering doing the jobs on a wet but not windy day to try and use nature as a help to rinse the runoff away.

Is there a better alternative than hypo for these - or potentially i could use a much weaker mix ? I feel nervous about the process so maybe i am being overly cautious ? There is a lot of of these houses so would be huge earner if i could get good at doing them safely - i am sure if i did one well it would open the floodgates for many more. Any advice welcome thanks in advance ?

I would apply the mix through a brush on a low flow rate scrub as ime going , this will prevent over spray and a neat edge to next doors house unless you can talk them into having there’s done at the same time , good rinse again go carful but it will be fine . 

U can always get the red and white tape and cordon an area off and put the cones out.... dont be shy to do this mate if needs be.. hope that helps ? 

@DeLaCruz

Last edited by a moderator:
U can always get the red and white tape and cordon an area off and put the cones out.... dont be shy to do this mate if needs be.. hope that helps ? 

@DeLaCruz
Problem with that is you can't just close part of the highway (which a pavement is) without a council permit. And f you get some busybody complaining it could draw a lot of unwanted attention from the local council who will want to know exactly which chemicals are being used and are they being used appropriately....who knows what else they might decide to look at but it could be a lot of grief and hassle.

Just use Tornado Cleanze, roller it on, rinse off

Problem with that is you can't just close part of the highway (which a pavement is) without a council permit. And f you get some busybody complaining it could draw a lot of unwanted attention from the local council who will want to know exactly which chemicals are being used and are they being used appropriately....who knows what else they might decide to look at but it could be a lot of grief and hassle.

Just use Tornado Cleanze, roller it on, rinse off
What is Tornado Cleanze ?

I would rather cordone an area off than risk injuring someone which could be a lot more costly lol ?  I mean id only cordone an area off in a worst case scenario lol

What is Tornado Cleanze ?

I would rather cordone an area off than risk injuring someone which could be a lot more costly lol ?  I mean id only cordone an area off in a worst case scenario lol
Tornado Cleanze is a gel form of Lightning Cleanze (what used to be called Blackwash) sold by Benz. Although the SH concentration might be lower in Tornado Cleanze but it does the job. It's just applied with a roller or brush and after its had time to work rinse it off. It means no need for spraying and no run-off except for the rinsing side of it.

I wasn't criticising the cordon idea and you're right that safety comes first, but you did say "don't be shy" with cones and tape and I was pointing out that you can't go running around like the Andrex puppy with red and white tape.....I know you weren't literally saying that but once I was in Pimlico doing a job on a Saturday and had a few cones out and hazard tape and someone from the council came out to me before I'd even started. But fortunately I was already aware of the tight restrictions they impose on property owners and had read their Code of Practice on it so was able to blag it but had to get rid of the tape and cones.

But some local resident had grassed me up and they were straight on it. But they're the exception rather than the rule I'm sure - cos of high value/ high profile and historic character of the area's buildings

I'm charging £150 to hypo one side of a detached house. How much is it to do a full detached house? Bought some wet and forget after looking at a woman's monoblock which came up far better than I ever thought it would, seems to be the real deal. £25 a gallon on Amazon.

Tornado Cleanze is a gel form of Lightning Cleanze (what used to be called Blackwash) sold by Benz. Although the SH concentration might be lower in Tornado Cleanze but it does the job. It's just applied with a roller or brush and after its had time to work rinse it off. It means no need for spraying and no run-off except for the rinsing side of it.

I wasn't criticising the cordon idea and you're right that safety comes first, but you did say "don't be shy" with cones and tape and I was pointing out that you can't go running around like the Andrex puppy with red and white tape.....I know you weren't literally saying that but once I was in Pimlico doing a job on a Saturday and had a few cones out and hazard tape and someone from the council came out to me before I'd even started. But fortunately I was already aware of the tight restrictions they impose on property owners and had read their Code of Practice on it so was able to blag it but had to get rid of the tape and cones.

But some local resident had grassed me up and they were straight on it. But they're the exception rather than the rule I'm sure - cos of high value/ high profile and historic character of the area's buildings
Well said mate

OKay so i looked at the Benz softwash site - seems like some interesting products and something i would consider for future jobs like this one. 

On a side note i also read in the Lightening Cleanse description : 

Lightning Cleanze as applied to actual surfaces contains only 0.5-2% available chlorine – a similar % as used to disinfect babies bottles.

Lightning Cleanze does not bio-accumulate and becomes inactive within 30-60 minutes of application. It breaks down in contact with organic materials and quickly dissipates.
This sounds like its a safer product in general, but considering the price difference i wanna try and use hypo safely as possible. 

Basically its a weak mix - i am looking at mixing my hypo at 1% chlorine for this clean as it errs on the side of caution. I found this equation for the mixing - can any mix maths guys confirm this is the correct method for me to calculate a dilution formula

V1 x C1 = V2 x C2     

(V1 = initial volume, C1 = initial concentration, V2=final volume, C2 = final concentration)

So to find amount of hypo we need to make a 20 Litre mix of 1 % hypo using 11% initial concentration hypo its this calculation: 

V1 x 11 = 2000 x 1  which is equal to V1 = 2000 / 11 = 181.8 ml

>>> mix (2000-182)= 1818ml water with 182ml hypo
Question for someone who knows their softwash science :

If i was to use a mix like this would i not have to worry about chlorine fumes ect assuming i mix it without any other contaminants ? I hate working tentatively with masks and dislike hypo in general bc of its toxicity, so if i could achieve a more stable less toxic working product that would be amazing for me. Any advice welcome thanks 

V1 x 11 = 2000 x 1  which is equal to V1 = 2000 / 11 = 181.8 ml

>>> mix (2000-182)= 1818ml water with 182ml hypo
I believe that is how the calculation works but 20 litres is 20,000ml. So it should be 18.18 litres of water to 1.82 litres of 11% hypo gives 1% hypo mix. No idea how well it will work though.

I believe that is how the calculation works but 20 litres is 20,000ml. So it should be 18.18 litres of water to 1.82 litres of 11% hypo gives 1% hypo mix. No idea how well it will work though.
1% mix is a bit weak depending what you want to kill , might kill green , but stronger  will be needed for black and red .

1% mix is a bit weak depending what you want to kill , might kill green , but stronger  will be needed for black and red .
That’s fine as it’s only very lightly stained - curious if 1% is safe for working with without a mask ? Of course not gonna be inhaling anywhere near it but as a overall rule it wouldn’t do t damage I have heard about to lungs from others on this forum 

That’s fine as it’s only very lightly stained - curious if 1% is safe for working with without a mask ? Of course not gonna be inhaling anywhere near it but as a overall rule it wouldn’t do t damage I have heard about to lungs from others on this forum 
It's not worth the risk not to use a mask.

All depends how it’s applied , if through a brush there shouldn’t be overspray , if using a fan jet then that will produce inhalable mist , if using a droplet spray then less would be inhaled but still could be an issue . 

It's not worth the risk not to use a mask.
Sure I understand that - what I am trying to understand is the safety thresholds when hypo dilutes down to a ‘safe’ amount so the particles in the air aren’t toxic - would like to do a science course in this area if it means I can softwash to a high standard and do it safely 

Sure I understand that - what I am trying to understand is the safety thresholds when hypo dilutes down to a ‘safe’ amount so the particles in the air aren’t toxic - would like to do a science course in this area if it means I can softwash to a high standard and do it safely 
Provided you are in an open environment you won’t end up with a toxic air only if working in enclosed spaces like drains , don’t think you will be doing that ???

Latest Posts

Back