Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Claiming for a carport/lean to?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Bedonde

Bit of a weird one, just wondered if I's be able to claim for a carport being put on the side of my house.  It is exclusively going to be used for work equipment storage (gutter vac, poles, pressure washers etc) nothing else.

I'm not sure though?

You definitely need an accountant for stuff like this. If you are fixing something to a residential property and claiming it as a business expense then you risk having capital gains issues when selling the house as it's value may have increased due to the car port that was a business expense!! It's unlikely to ever be picked up but it could be!!! So speak to an accountant, shop around as their prices vary quite a bit. A good accountant should help you save more than their fees!!!!

I wouldn’t imagine you could claim for this, if it was the case you could put small extension on and claim it’s an office. Lots of different scenarios.  For one thing it would need more than a carport. You would need storage. 
check with an accountant but I’m pretty sure it will be no.

You can't claim for it as it isn't a mobile structure. I asked the question recently with regards to building exterior storage for my kit/water purification. The guidance is complex but simplified, if it is a fixed structure you can't claim, the lean to will be attached to your house, if you go for a shed you can claim for the shed but not the cost of the base.

You can't claim for it as it isn't a mobile structure. I asked the question recently with regards to building exterior storage for my kit/water purification. The guidance is complex but simplified, if it is a fixed structure you can't claim, the lean to will be attached to your house, if you go for a shed you can claim for the shed but not the cost of the base.
Interesting, thanks.  So a home office would be okay but not the base?

Interesting, thanks.  So a home office would be okay but not the base?
Not exactly. A home office that could be moved onto the back of a trailer without the need for taking it to pieces could be put towards capital gains. Essentially it all comes down to it being a mobile structure. My accountant seemed really stressed with me when I was suggesting it ?. It sounded to me that It's a difficult one for them to navigate. When you break it down it's easy to see what the rules are saying, on the whole people will put up a 14x12 shed, use it as a home bar and then leave it when they move. If however you're putting up a 8x6 shed type structure say, it would be easier to argue it's movable and would be used for its actual purpose. I have 2 vans and 2 employees and would struggle to persuade the tax man that I need a home office. I think by the time you do need something like that you're half way to needing a unit anyway. If you're running that sort of size operation then the money would be better spent as a deposit on a business mortgage for a light industrial unit.

Latest Posts

Back