Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Card reader for my customer's

tench0771

Im looking at getting one just wondering if anyone has one and what's the best one to get also do you need a separate insurance for it 

Last edited by a moderator:
I have izettle in the current climate its a good option to have.

Downsides are sometimes when the system is struggling for signal it will take payment even though its said it hasn't gone through so just make sure if it does this check on the app before processing payment again.

Also if you have your bank card saved on your phone to pay make sure you keep the phone away from the keypad otherwise you end up paying for other people bills this can be refunded without any charges.

Wouldn't be with out one I've had one for 6 months used it 100 odd times and never changed it since getting it

I use SumUp. The fees are slightly lower than iZettle, the reader is pretty easy to use. They pay into your bank the next day. No monthly fees and the readers are cheap as chips

If you decide to go for Sum up the link below will get you £10 off the reader;

http://r.sumup.com/referrals/iMsxB

***Disclaimer, the link provides me with a referral of £20. So far I have had £80 I believe. All of which has been donated to charity and proof of this posted on the forum in the past, just incase anyone thinks I'm out to nab myself some free dollar***

It was more a case of the reader getting hacked or stolen kinda thing abd customers details getting hacked 
As far as I know customer details are not stored on the machine. You take payment and the device uses bluetooth to your phone (or inbuilt mobile phone connection) to connect to the companies servers. The card details are encrypted by machine then passed on to the server and you get an authorisation of payment made. So no details are stored on the machine or your phone.

No worries about compromising customer details. The companies that run the systems are all licenced and you never have custy details.

The above is my belief on how they work but if you want an official answer just message izettle or sumup etc. I am sure they will give you the facts.

It was more a case of the reader getting hacked or stolen kinda thing abd customers details getting hacked 
The reader doesn't store any data mate. They connect to a server which is secure either using your phones internet or the wifi. Once you charge the card you send the customer a receipt via email. The details stored then are no different to that of what the local shop stores (A record of the transaction with the card number mostly blanked out)

I use SumUp. The fees are slightly lower than iZettle, the reader is pretty easy to use. They pay into your bank the next day. No monthly fees and the readers are cheap as chips

If you decide to go for Sum up the link below will get you £10 off the reader;

http://r.sumup.com/referrals/iMsxB

***Disclaimer, the link provides me with a referral of £20. So far I have had £80 I believe. All of which has been donated to charity and proof of this posted on the forum in the past, just incase anyone thinks I'm out to nab myself some free dollar***
Just seen this. I also use Sumup and highly recommend them!

Here's my link if you still haven't gotten one, or for anyone else looking. You'll get £10 off as Paddy mentioned. 

***Disclaimer, the link provides me with a referral of £20. I will keep this money for myself, will probably spend it down the pub when it opens. I can provide proof of this if required ***

For a £10 payment what would sumup take out
I got oneyears ago but some of my customers looked shocked when they came out and said i have no cash . There face when i said you can use your card was a picture. I just settled for Bacs & Gcardless
GoCardless less now due to there fees keeping going up
May just dig my sum up out

For a £10 payment what would sumup take out
I got oneyears ago but some of my customers looked shocked when they came out and said i have no cash . There face when i said you can use your card was a picture. I just settled for Bacs & Gcardless
GoCardless less now due to there fees keeping going up
May just dig my sum up out
SumUp is 1.69% I think, so about 16.9p fees.

Back