Jump to content

Don't want to see ads? Become a subscribed member.

Wages how much would you pay


Recommended Posts

I've been considering whether to employ someone to allow me more time for other things but it's a bit daunting. I've been considering £12 pH or £10 ph plus some kind of incentive bonus on the number of houses cleaned. 

I don't like the idea of them doing a bad job though. Maybe have a feedback link on the text message Invoice? 

Edited by Skxawng
Link to comment
11 minutes ago, smearclear said:

What would you pay an employee off the cards self employed paying his own tax As a window cleaner.

£15 an hour....take it or leave it...so £75 a day(I only work 5 hour days)....

Link to comment

I would check how to do it legally with an accountant. With IR35 coming very soon I would be very careful! As it's you who foot the bill if you get it wrong!!!

Link to comment

I used to be self employed working for another cleaner, just 3 days a week. I was on £100 a day basic, and 20% of anything over £300 we did. Think we did a few good long £400 days. Back in 2014 this is. I was happy with the wage and thought it was fair. The extra small bonus scheme really kept me motivated towards the end of the day. 

i had to drive myself to his house, send him invoices end of each week and pay my own tax etc. 

Link to comment
29 minutes ago, RWCleaning said:

I used to be self employed working for another cleaner, just 3 days a week. I was on £100 a day basic, and 20% of anything over £300 we did. Think we did a few good long £400 days. Back in 2014 this is. I was happy with the wage and thought it was fair. The extra small bonus scheme really kept me motivated towards the end of the day. 

i had to drive myself to his house, send him invoices end of each week and pay my own tax etc. 

Personally I think the way to stay motivated is working short days(eg 9am-3pm with an hour for lunch/brew time)

 

I work much more efficiently with only a set time to do my work in and dont suffer from burn out like some window cleaners do after many years window cleaning....

Link to comment
1 minute ago, dazmond said:

Personally I think the way to stay motivated is working short days(eg 9am-3pm with an hour for lunch/brew time)

 

I work much more efficiently with only a set time to do my work in and dont suffer from burn out like some window cleaners do after many years window cleaning....

Yeah that’s fair enough, I guess if you’re more, how do I politely say.... an old fart no I mean not so young and youthful anymore and done your share of ‘the grind’ then yeah fair play to you to get in a position where you only work 5-6 hours a day with a good wage. 👍 That’s my plan in 15 years when I’m in my 40s with a full time lad in his own van.
 

Long days, short days, doesn’t bother me too much at the moment I don’t find window cleaning or gutter cleaning tiring. Just the odd neck ache looking up a lot. I could literally wave my arms up and down all day everyday, oh wait I do 🤣 but you know what I  mean .  How’s your new golf btw? I remember you mentioning it. A neighbour across the road has a new one, they’re very smart. 

Link to comment
1 hour ago, dazmond said:

Personally I think the way to stay motivated is working short days(eg 9am-3pm with an hour for lunch/brew time)

 

I work much more efficiently with only a set time to do my work in and dont suffer from burn out like some window cleaners do after many years window cleaning....

Lol yesterday we started at 07.00 and finished at 21:00 , today started at 07:00 and finished at 18:30 doing windows, tomorrow we are doing a few plastic cleans so will be 8:00 till 17:30 and Friday a big softwashing job and conservatory clean 8:00 to approx 18:00 😂😂😂 now booking add on jobs into July , trying to organise another van and a couple of guys to help out as we are booking far more work than we are able to deal with , picked up 3 ,5 bed detached house softwash jobs , plastic clean , conservatory ,  pressure washing of paths patios and drives all in the same road 😂😂😂😂,  they are big places and are about 2:5 days work per job for 2 guys 

Link to comment
2 hours ago, smearclear said:

What would you pay an employee off the cards self employed paying his own tax As a window cleaner.

An employee is exactly that. Employed by you. You pay his National ins, tax, holiday pay etc. 
A self employed window cleaner is exactly that. Self employed meaning he works for himself with his own work. Pays his own way. 
mid he is self employed with his own work he could do days for you sub contracting he invoices you and you pay him. 
Don’t break the law to save a few quid and get in trouble by HMRC you will have to pay everything legally. Speak to an accountant. 

  • Agree 1
Link to comment

Google IR35, the rules are starting to be applied and if you break them, and get caught, you will get a big fine

Link to comment
39 minutes ago, brianbadonde said:

£15 an hour if they’re self employed.

Surely if you are going to use self employed people, they will state an hourly rate to you as a minimum they will work for, we did back in the day when duct erecting on 715 ticket 

Link to comment
7 minutes ago, Ian Docksey said:

Surely if you are going to use self employed people, they will state an hourly rate to you as a minimum they will work for, we did back in the day when duct erecting on 715 ticket 

We used to state £240  a day for the pair of us, and we would do x amount of work a day. So back then I'm talking mid 80s ,we said we would put up 9mtr a day. So I'd think it would be x amount of property per day  for the price self employed set.

Link to comment
1 minute ago, Ian Docksey said:

We used to state £240  a day for the pair of us, and we would do x amount of work a day. So back then I'm talking mid 80s ,we said we would put up 9mtr a day. So I'd think it would be x amount of property per day  for the price self employed set.

Being self employed they will pay own tax, water, diesel, expenses, so they need to cover those and earn a decent wage.

Link to comment
21 minutes ago, Ian Docksey said:

Being self employed they will pay own tax, water, diesel, expenses, so they need to cover those and earn a decent wage.

Ask yourself ,if you was self employed, running your own van, etc ,what would you work for, I bet you wouldnt get out of bed for 15 quid n hr. Be a minimum of 25 to 30. . Though if you are supplying van ,fuel water etc, 15 quid is a fair hourly rate

Link to comment

Even under the new rules you can still have a worker do work for you as self employed even if they solely do work for you. 

Link to comment
3 minutes ago, Cleanco said:

Even under the new rules you can still have a worker do work for you as self employed even if they solely do work for you. 

Of course you can, but if that worker doesn't pay his or her tax and NI then you're liable for it. Thats why the CIS scheme exists in the construction industry, they tax the worker and pay it directly to the revenue, the worker then gets a rebate when they do their tax return. It appears to me the IR35 scheme is just a more complex version of this, essentially extending the scheme across different industries. If someone is a worker they are entitled to holiday pay the same as a normal employee, thats what Uber just got stung on in court.

  • Agree 2
Link to comment
41 minutes ago, P4dstar said:

Of course you can, but if that worker doesn't pay his or her tax and NI then you're liable for it. Thats why the CIS scheme exists in the construction industry, they tax the worker and pay it directly to the revenue, the worker then gets a rebate when they do their tax return. It appears to me the IR35 scheme is just a more complex version of this, essentially extending the scheme across different industries. If someone is a worker they are entitled to holiday pay the same as a normal employee, thats what Uber just got stung on in court.

The main difference now I believe is before they went after the Employee, now they will go after the Employer for the NI etc.

  • Like 1
  • Agree 2
Link to comment

Don't want to see ads? Become a subscribed member.


Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Ad Blocker Detected

Please disable your ad blocker

Our forum relies on ads to pay for the servers and our time maintaining and running the forum.

Sadly running a forum like this is not free, and due to our popularity, we need servers that can handle the amount of traffic and resources our forum uses.

 

If you do not wish to see ads on our site, please consider supporting the forum with a membership subscription.

 

Accept