Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Swivel on gooseneck

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Ian Docksey

Hi , I find I cant seem to get on with swivel on gooseneck. Is it just perseverance with it. Just seems the brush goes off at all different angles and its frustrating. Any advice welcome.

Tbh I didnt even know about that. Will take a look in the morning. 
Give it a go, mine loosens every now and the but I keep a tool set with me so can easily tighten it on the go. Careful not to over tighten as it’ll be had to angle it. It’s just finding your happy medium

Try using a swivel brush on a gooseneck valve.  That's fun. ?

I actually prefer the twist action tap over the univalve but it takes some getting used to, especially if you attach it to a swivel.

For it to work, the setup has to be just right.  It's much more difficult on an angled gooseneck.  I have very few deep ledges to reach over so my brush is usually straight over the end of the pole with an angled swivel adapter.  I've modified my angle adapter to increase the angle of my brush to suit me and in this configuration it works quite well with the twist valve.

brush 1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I use a swivel for all my maintenance washes. Couple of things that do it for me:

1/ I use the shortest plastic Gooseneck. This makes the swivel action easier and sharper as the weight of the brush is closer to the pole.

2/ I use a very lightweight brush. Extreme Sill Medium is a favourite but I now mostly use a brush with longer, Tapertec bristles as I find it better for removing spider nests. I can't remember whether it's the Ultimate or the Supreme... Just checked, it's the Supreme 23cm Dupont Tapertec Hybrid.The lighter the brush and the lower the swivel friction the quicker and more freely the swivel and pole will work.

3/ I set the friction screw on the swivel very loose. Just enough friction to barely stop the brush from flopping when I hold it sideways. I've seen it described on the forum as being "like a broken wrist". That's a good description and a true one, until you get used to it. I gave up in a few minutes on the first attempt. I tried it again a month or two later. This time with more thought and perseverance.

All of the above three points are important to me. The next extremely important thing is to hold the pole with a loose, relaxed, comfortable grip. Relax the wrist, and allow it to flex and twist the pole. Work with the pole rather than to hold it with a "death grip" . That's the hardest part to get used to. The natural tendency is to hold the pole tight and try and dominate it. A bit like the first time holding a pool cue.

What's actually needed is to twist it. How I trained myself in the end was : I set up as described then I stood slightly to the side of my downstairs window and cleaned the window without changing my foot position. Twisting the pole to observe and get the feeling for it. Then I stood out a few paces in the middle of the house and cleaned all the windows top and bottom at the front (three bed semi) from the one standing position. The only way to get the corners was by twisting (not pressing) the pole. Counter intuitive till you get used to and develop the feel of it. I use a Univalve and Hoseless.

Last edited by a moderator:
Same, I don't use swivels. Used one for a while and found it wasn't too bad to work with. But prefer it without.

I honestly struggle to see how you can work without one. The amount of times I find myself in tight spaces (sides of Conny's, landing windows when you're down the side of a house etc) and the swivel comes in absolutely clutch. I often think to myself in those circumstances thank god I have this swivel. Honestly boggles my mind how you can work without one but I guess plenty of people do.

I honestly struggle to see how you can work without one. The amount of times I find myself in tight spaces (sides of Conny's, landing windows when you're down the side of a house etc) and the swivel comes in absolutely clutch. I often think to myself in those circumstances thank god I have this swivel. Honestly boggles my mind how you can work without one but I guess plenty of people do.
Totally agree essential bit of kit in my opinion ?

We take them off to do FSG's and when we wash the windows after without it we wonder how we managed without one before.

Latest Posts

Back