Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

GFS AND CONNY ROOF CLEANS

Ian Docksey

Hi. So when you do these as add ons. Do you hook up to customers outside tap if available to clean n rinse. Or do you use your pure from the van.? 

Personally I use my Gardiner backpack to spray cleaning solution, and customers tap to brush n rinse. 

Or would you use pure to rinse,  I plan on using pure if glass roof ,for obvious reasons, but plastic/perspex roof ,tap should be ok?

Hi. So when you do these as add ons. Do you hook up to customers outside tap if available to clean n rinse. Or do you use your pure from the van.? 

Personally I use my Gardiner backpack to spray cleaning solution, and customers tap to brush n rinse. 

Or would you use pure to rinse,  I plan on using pure if glass roof ,for obvious reasons, but plastic/perspex roof ,tap should be ok?
Using tap water to clean is ok provided you arnt in a hard water area if you are the lime scale  in the water can and will stick/ mark the glass if it dries , I would suggest the final rinse  with pure would be the safest option 

Using tap water to clean is ok provided you arnt in a hard water area if you are the lime scale  in the water can and will stick/ mark the glass if it dries , I would suggest the final rinse  with pure would be the safest option 
Yep my thoughts exactly, if roof is glass then I rinse with pure, but if perspex I rinse with tap water, as it makes no difference in plastic. 

That's absolutely fine if the customer is happy with it and the water is not too hard or chalky...

I use my pure because I use hot water which helps with whatever I'm cleaning....

I've got a job booked in for Thursday, with a conny and the roof of the conny hasn't been done in ages, it's all glass, for whatever reason the last window cleaner just didn't do the roof.

So would anyone recommend a solution to use on the roof that i can spray on then rinse off with pure water or maybe just water would do the job?

Last edited by a moderator:
We use Virosol diluted 10-1. Spray on scrub rinse with garden hose and then final rinse with pure job done ?

I personally wouldn't use a drop of pure water to rinse down anything when you have an outside and copious amounts of water on hand. 

Pure for glass 

Tap for everything else in my opinion 

I personally wouldn't use a drop of pure water to rinse down anything when you have an outside and copious amounts of water on hand. 

Pure for glass 

Tap for everything else in my opinion 
Depends on the TDS if you are in a hard water area you will cover the roof in  lime scale , if in a soft water area it will be fine 

I've got a job booked in for Thursday, with a conny and the roof of the conny hasn't been done in ages, it's all glass, for whatever reason the last window cleaner just didn't do the roof.

So would anyone recommend a solution to use on the roof that i can spray on then rinse off with pure water or maybe just water would do the job?
id use virosol and a lot of hot water!hope you ve priced well as most fairly large glass roofs with the conny plastics takes a couple of hours to clean to a good standard

Depends on the TDS if you are in a hard water area you will cover the roof in  lime scale , if in a soft water area it will be fine
 We always use tap water to rinse after the soapwash. Our TDS was around 300~350 the last time I took a reading. We rinse down the glass with pure fairly soon after rinsing with tap water. I wouldn't want to leave tap water on for too long before rinsing with the pure incase it dried hard. Though we've never had the issue of tap water that we couldn't remove easily. 300~350 seems to be fairly standard TDS in our general area, though I haven't checked it for some time.

We use Virosol diluted 10-1. Spray on scrub rinse with garden hose and then final rinse with pure job done ?

id use virosol and a lot of hot water!hope you ve priced well as most fairly large glass roofs with the conny plastics takes a couple of hours to clean to a good standard
Is there alternative maybe something from Screwfix i can go pick up as i can't find anywhere local to buy Virosol

Well i think i quoted decent but i don't have anything to go by as I've never done a conny roof before! So quoted £65 including the house windows

ae235
Would something like this work on the roof?

https://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsense-heavy-duty-degreaser-5ltr/88668

Is there alternative maybe something from Screwfix i can go pick up as i can't find anywhere local to buy Virosol

Well i think i quoted decent but i don't have anything to go by as I've never done a conny roof before! So quoted £65 including the house windows
It doesn’t matter if you’ve under priced it ,if it’s your first one. 
I bet nearly everyone on here got it wrong to start with. 
Window cleaning is a long term job, so you’ll learn, and have a much better idea how much to charge next time you get one. 
Make sure you time yourself, so you know how close your were. 
Plus it’s £65 in your pocket??

It doesn’t matter if you’ve under priced it ,if it’s your first one. 
I bet nearly everyone on here got it wrong to start with. 
Window cleaning is a long term job, so you’ll learn, and have a much better idea how much to charge next time you get one. 
Make sure you time yourself, so you know how close your were. 
Plus it’s £65 in your pocket??
Yeah appreciate it, sure is a learning curve, I'll be sure to set the stopwatch ✌️

Don't do that. Each time I watch the time on a conservatory roof clean I get depressed.
Very true. We did a gutter empty and a soapwash on a small mid terrace with a glass roof conservatory today. We'd estimated and priced for around two hours work for two of us working together. It took two and three three quarters of hard work. We're usually pretty close with pricing and estimated times. We were well out today.

Wet the roof before spraying then give it a couple of mins before scrubbing, don't let the detergent dry on the roof, just work a section at a time if necessary. Best avoided on hot sunny days.

If you ve never cleaned a conny roof before your in for a shock....itll be a lot harder than you think and itll take longer than you thought.....??....I reckon itll take you 3 hours altogether from pulling up to driving away.......

I would want £150 for a conny with a really dirty glass roof and fully expect to clean it to a good standard in 2 hours.....if it took up to an hour longer it's still £50 an hour...not great but acceptable but I'd try and do it in 2 hours if possible..

Very true. We did a gutter empty and a soapwash on a small mid terrace with a glass roof conservatory today. We'd estimated and priced for around two hours work for two of us working together. It took two and three three quarters of hard work. We're usually pretty close with pricing and estimated times. We were well out today.
Working together as a team can sometimes throw up some strange times.

We clean an industrial unit. My son has his section and I have my section to clean. (He does all the external office windows and I do a large entrance conservatory including glass roof.) When quoting I estimated that the job would take a single cleaner 2 hours. I did the job on my own last night. It took me 1 hour and 50 minutes which included unpacking and packing away.

Yet somehow when both of us work together it takes an 1 hour 30 minutes. I've timed it over the past year. We don't get in each other's way apart from managing hoses when son crosses from one side of the building to the other. The entrance conservatory I clean is in the centre of the building.

Wow, this Google Earth image is old. There are some windows around the side of the building. The windows are quick to clean; its the conservatory roof with clear glass panels that takes the time.

HE.jpg

Back