Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Wfp poles to change or not

tench0771

Im looking at getting new pole soon on my second extreme 22 but thinking about trying phantom himod what's everyone's thoughts on it and do the Gardner gooseneck fit 

Im looking at getting new pole soon on my second extreme 22 but thinking about trying phantom himod what's everyone's thoughts on it and do the Gardner gooseneck fit 
I don’t think they do fit as the top section is smaller than the Gardiner one , when we had one to try it wouldn’t fit anyway as I did try it but that was just after they we’re released maybe they have altered them  since ???

I'd also like to know what the phantom poles are like please. I won't be buying gardiner poles anymore.

Honestly I've used gardiner poles for 10 years or so and as we all know they've dominated the wfp industry nothing has come close.

But I bought a slx27 and having nothing but bother with it main issue is having to tighten the section clips x2 daily

Also I don't like the new jets. Nothing wrong with the old type these just keep popping out every other day.

I have a slx25 that is 5 years old and the clips are fine. Jets are the old style only thing I've had to do is put a bit epoxy resin round the second section to stop it slipping.

I also have a xtreme 47 with extentions on to take it up to a 65 foot pole. Absolutely no problems with this.

As for the company  their probably one of the best out there regarding help etc.

But I've got it into my head with this slx27 that costs are been cut on making them. Its the newest of all poles that I own and its the one that's giving me most grief whilst working.

I'm sure Alex will be on to comment on this.which his is right and for me there still the leader in the market.

But for me I'm looking for a change and I've heard a few wfp cleaners round here saying similar.

I bought the phantom poles in the Black Friday sale. They were 24% off. I wouldn't buy them over the Gardiner poles at full price in comparison;

• The plastic has a cheaper look and feel
  • The poles are not as rigid
  • They feel heavier and more cumbersome to use
  • The end cap shape is good but they continually fall off ( A simple fix with a layer of tape around the base under the cap)
  • They don't have joint indicator tape. You need to be looking at the pole when extending, not the window and any potential hazards like power lines.
  • If you run a tube less set up outside of the pole instead of inside the end cap will catch on rectus fittings (The fix for this is to change to push fit like Den has recommended on another post)

All in all they're not bad poles but they're your Ford of the pole industry, Gardiners are the BMW. The clamps are a nifty idea but realistically how often do you actually change your clamps.

In summary, if they're 24% off they're well worthwhile. if they're full price, this is more than Gardiners charge and you would be crazy to buy them.

I bought the phantom poles in the Black Friday sale. They were 24% off. I wouldn't buy them over the Gardiner poles at full price in comparison;

• The end cap shape is good but they continually fall off ( A simple fix with a layer of tape around the base under the cap)
  • They don't have joint indicator tape. You need to be looking at the pole when extending, not the window and any potential hazards like power lines.
  • If you run a tube less set up outside of the pole instead of inside the end cap will catch on rectus fittings (The fix for this is to change to push fit like Den has recommended on another post)

All in all they're not bad poles but they're your Ford of the pole industry, Gardiners are the BMW. The clamps are a nifty idea but realistically how often do you actually change your clamps.

In summary, if they're 24% off they're well worthwhile. if they're full price, this is more than Gardiners charge and you would be crazy to buy them.
Thanks couldn't ask for a better review.

I will keep tightening up the clamps then ?

That's made my mind up, what I don't get about Facelift is why you have to pay extra for a brush which is the most expensive addition when buying a new pole if needed and also why charge extra for a angle neck when it's absolutely nessecary to have one 

Thanks couldn't ask for a better review.

I will keep tightening up the clamps then ?
I recently snapped section 2 of my xtreme22. I replaced section one which was wearing away, and the snapped section. I service the pole very very regularly and try my best to keep the pole hose clean on every job as well as reeling in and wiping it with a cloth at the end of every job. I still find that I end up with worn clamps wearing away at the pole very quickly. I put this down to where I live. I'm in the countryside, it's extremely mossy and dirty at a lot of jobs. I charge a premium compared to the city boys for my travel time etc so this covers part of the extra expense on poles. I liked the idea of the phantom for being able to easily change the clamps but the quality elsewhere on the Gardiner pole completely supersedes any benefit of these clamps IMHO mate. I'd rather be replacing sections and or poles regularly and have the higher quality every day.

That's made my mind up, what I don't get about Facelift is why you have to pay extra for a brush which is the most expensive addition when buying a new pole if needed and also why charge extra for a angle neck when it's absolutely nessecary to have one 
I adapted mine to use my Gardiner brushes. Even managed to add my super scraper by crushing the little lip and the bottom in a vice.

I'm surprised to hear that people are having issues with the Gardiner clamps, I find that the addition of the Delrin shims has made it much easier to keep the clamps well adjusted. I think @Alex Gardiner recommends changing the shims occasionally to maintain best performance?

I have developed the habit that every time I pack the pole away I hold it in my right hand and twist my wrist to give it a rapid left/right rotation for about three reps, this usually  reveals any clamp that needs tweeking thus allowing me to minimise wear.

I'm not a saint when it comes to servicing the poles but my SL-X18 is over ten years old now.

If wear does set in a few coats of laquer in the worn area will do wonders.

I'm surprised to hear that people are having issues with the Gardiner clamps, I find that the addition of the Delrin shims has made it much easier to keep the clamps well adjusted. I think @Alex Gardiner recommends changing the shims occasionally to maintain best performance?

I have developed the habit that every time I pack the pole away I hold it in my right hand and twist my wrist to give it a rapid left/right rotation for about three reps, this usually  reveals any clamp that needs tweeking thus allowing me to minimise wear.

I'm not a saint when it comes to servicing the poles but my SL-X18 is over ten years old now.

If wear does set in a few coats of laquer in the worn area will do wonders.
My problem pole is between 6 and 8 month old and not massively over used.

Honestly I've used gardiner poles for 10 years or so and as we all know they've dominated the wfp industry nothing has come close.

But I bought a slx27 and having nothing but bother with it main issue is having to tighten the section clips x2 daily

Also I don't like the new jets. Nothing wrong with the old type these just keep popping out every other day.

I have a slx25 that is 5 years old and the clips are fine. Jets are the old style only thing I've had to do is put a bit epoxy resin round the second section to stop it slipping.

I also have a xtreme 47 with extentions on to take it up to a 65 foot pole. Absolutely no problems with this.

As for the company  their probably one of the best out there regarding help etc.

But I've got it into my head with this slx27 that costs are been cut on making them. Its the newest of all poles that I own and its the one that's giving me most grief whilst working.

I'm sure Alex will be on to comment on this.which his is right and for me there still the leader in the market.

But for me I'm looking for a change and I've heard a few wfp cleaners round here saying similar.
Hi Alpineyorks

You were right  - I have arrived to comment ?

First of all I wanted to reassure you that there have been no cost cutting exercises on our poles over the last few years. If anything we have quietly been increasing the quality of components and overall our cost of manufacturing these poles has risen – we are always looking to make things even better, rather than penny-pinching.

Glad that you are getting such good service from our older poles that you own.

Regarding the SLX 27 in question have you approached the retailer you bought this from for their assistance with your issues? I cannot see this pole as purchased on your account with us, so presume it was bought from one of our Distributors. Usually they will be able to assist with any specific issues – or please feel free to contact us if you would prefer.

Addressing the two issues you have mentioned:

1.     Tightening up the clamps daily – this is not standard for these poles, even on an older pole and would usually indicate an issue with either the locking nuts or the clamps themselves.

2.     Jets popping apart daily – this would only happen if the jet assembly has been broken and has come apart in the first instance – pushing back together will not fix it and it would pop apart again under less pressure – we are happy to replace these if the pole is within warranty – I would ask though if you use a swivel or a Univalve with this pole? If so, we would also offer you some advice on how to prevent these items damaging these jets again. Often a simple addition will completely eliminate further issues.

If you would like us to look into these issues for you and help resolve please get in touch first of all with your retailer you bought this from or if this does not work please send us an email on [email protected] and we will be happy to assist you so that you can continue working with this pole for many years to come. If you do email, please provide as much detail as possible including the retailer purchased from and their order number, some photos of the parts in question as we will then be able to assist you as promptly as possible.

I have had spinning issues with most of my Gardiner poles. The issue is my end and not with the poles or clamps. Dirt gets inside the pole, catches under the clamp and this makes the inside of the clamp abrasive which wears away at the pole section its clamped to. I take my poles apart regularly, flush them regularly with the hose. I find it to be a hazard of the job. I would imagine that 99% of the spinning issues are caused by this. It's easy to see, you can see the wear on the top of the pole section where it has been clamped.

Hi Alpineyorks

You were right  - I have arrived to comment ?

First of all I wanted to reassure you that there have been no cost cutting exercises on our poles over the last few years. If anything we have quietly been increasing the quality of components and overall our cost of manufacturing these poles has risen – we are always looking to make things even better, rather than penny-pinching.

Glad that you are getting such good service from our older poles that you own.

Regarding the SLX 27 in question have you approached the retailer you bought this from for their assistance with your issues? I cannot see this pole as purchased on your account with us, so presume it was bought from one of our Distributors. Usually they will be able to assist with any specific issues – or please feel free to contact us if you would prefer.

Addressing the two issues you have mentioned:

1.     Tightening up the clamps daily – this is not standard for these poles, even on an older pole and would usually indicate an issue with either the locking nuts or the clamps themselves.

2.     Jets popping apart daily – this would only happen if the jet assembly has been broken and has come apart in the first instance – pushing back together will not fix it and it would pop apart again under less pressure – we are happy to replace these if the pole is within warranty – I would ask though if you use a swivel or a Univalve with this pole? If so, we would also offer you some advice on how to prevent these items damaging these jets again. Often a simple addition will completely eliminate further issues.

If you would like us to look into these issues for you and help resolve please get in touch first of all with your retailer you bought this from or if this does not work please send us an email on [email protected] and we will be happy to assist you so that you can continue working with this pole for many years to come. If you do email, please provide as much detail as possible including the retailer purchased from and their order number, some photos of the parts in question as we will then be able to assist you as promptly as possible.
I bought from your self I will dig out the invoice and be in touch. I would like replacement jets for sure I just can't get on with the new ones as its a working tool they do get the odd bash against the van when getting them out to work.

I'm glad that you've confirmed that you haven't started skimping on build cost so I will reassure the other local windies that this isn't the case. 

I will email you with my my details now

Many thanks

I bought from your self I will dig out the invoice and be in touch. I would like replacement jets for sure I just can't get on with the new ones as its a working tool they do get the odd bash against the van when getting them out to work.

I'm glad that you've confirmed that you haven't started skimping on build cost so I will reassure the other local windies that this isn't the case. 

I will email you with my my details now

Many thanks
We look forward to your email and photos ?

Please include any details of any modifications such as a Univalve or swivel etc as this will allow us to offer the best advice and resolution fro you ?

From my records it looks like this pole is an SLX30 rather than an SLX27 - Is that correct?

We look forward to your email and photos ?

Please include any details of any modifications such as a Univalve or swivel etc as this will allow us to offer the best advice and resolution fro you ?

From my records it looks like this pole is an SLX30 rather than an SLX27 - Is that correct?
Hi Alex yes I've just sent everything over. Yes I've stated that in the email. So sorry for that mis information.

All my poles run with the standard brush set up.no.swivels and no univalves

Latest Posts

Back