Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

What makes you get up everyday...

My kids, particularly the littlest one as he has developmental issues. He's in for a tougher ride than the others. I want to leave something behind to look after them when I can't be here anymore.

Then there's family who treated me ? when I was younger. One person in particular that told me I would amount to nothing. I remember once saying I didn't like Tina Turner, I was told "she'll make more tonight than you'll make in your entire life". I haven't checked with her, but I'm pretty sure thats wrong already. I earn more in week than the person who said that does in a month now.

If ever I'm struggling I can either focus on the kids or on proving that tw4t wrong. Either will suffice. If you have a strong reason to do what you're doing it's easy IMO.

To be self sufficient and be able to do the things I want.

Being self employeed is amazing. I’ve had times I’ve wanted to throw in the towel, but I’ve worked through them/made changes so now I can genuinely say I wouldn’t change it.

At the moment, it’s great knowing I can take a week or two off at anytime, with no notice and go see friends or travel. Eventually this job (or whatever grows from it) will buy me a house and support a family. (That’s if I ever get my act together & start saving ?)

Last edited by a moderator:
The pleasure in being able to make a decent and independent living. To be able to enjoy the company of treasured friends. To come on the forum for a chat with the good folks on here. To be able physically and financially to enjoy my work and my hobbies of sea kayaking and camping with my wife and my pals. The satisfaction of working for myself and having the strength of character to not take too much s... t from anyone. Having had to mostly bite my lip when I was an employee in various jobs and lines of work. The pleasure of tweaking my business methods, van, equipment and techniques to make the work faster and the day go better and easier. The happiness of working and kayaking with my son. The gratitude to the NHS, nature and luck for being, as my 90 year old mother says, "still above ground" and in good form, at least for now. After an illness with an 88% mortality rate.

Apologies if that reads a bit heavy, but a question asked should be graced with an honest answer. ??

Some great points on here, mine are a lot less moving & interesting I suppose. I just enjoy my work, I enjoy being self sufficient, im a single bloke, live on my own.
2-3 years ago I had depression, tried medication for a while, but one thing that helps me a lot since then is a structured pattern & routine. For a while I wasn’t getting up till mid morning and feeling nackerd & de motivated. But now alarm 7:20 every morning, start 8:40ish/8:50ish/9:00. But enjoying our work is so important.

Mine was initially to set up a business for my son but after 2 years he packed in. It then became a challenge to build a business in a different industry.

It's now to build a business for both my son and I, he rejoined 30 months ago, so he has a good standard of living and I have something to keep me from getting bored in retirement without restricting me in doing what I want to do.

Some great points on here, mine are a lot less moving & interesting I suppose. I just enjoy my work, I enjoy being self sufficient, im a single bloke, live on my own.
2-3 years ago I had depression, tried medication for a while, but one thing that helps me a lot since then is a structured pattern & routine. For a while I wasn’t getting up till mid morning and feeling nackerd & de motivated. But now alarm 7:20 every morning, start 8:40ish/8:50ish/9:00. But enjoying our work is so important.
You’re absolutely bang on the money for me! I need discipline, to adhere to a working routine, or I waste away mentally and physically.

One thing I found when I took a few weeks off at the start of the First lock down is that the first week was horrendous, my partner reminded me the other day that I was stood in the kitchen listening to lbc a lot with periods in between where I stood round not knowing to do with myself. After the first week though, I was happily sat round wasting the days doing nothing. I couldn’t tell you what I’d done that day if you’d asked as it hadn’t been anything productive but I’d happily waste the day. 

I need routine. I have to have planned out what I’m doing tomorrow and stick to it. So for example a usual day would involve work, then weight training then jiu jitsu, reading, then spending time with the partner. That takes personal disciple on my part to make sure I do it.

Becoming self employed it takes more as ultimately we decide when we start and finish. It’s easy to think ‘it’s started raining, I’ll knock off early, I’ll start late, I won’t go today’ or a multitude of other reasons. I think that leads to a slippery slope where you can end up having a negative mental mindset creep up on you. When I lay out a plan and have stuck to it, I feel like I’ve earned my rest at the end of the day and feel better about myself generally. Even if the day has been **** one. 

For me I’m very self disciplined. I’m waiting to go out to work everyday. I wanna get it done ASAP so I can go back home. As I’ve said lots I only do mon tues & wed. I’m eager to get out there to get it done so I get my 4 day weekend every week!

Honestly, I have to drag myself out of bed most mornings. Nothing to do with work (I love this job), depression or anything like that. I just absolutely HATE getting up ? even on holidays although it's not so bad then. If I could change one aspect of my life/personality in that way, it would be to be able to bounce out of bed as soon as that alarm goes off. I HATE morning people! ?

I like being my own boss Ime un employable as I wouldn’t work for  anyone else , I can start and finish when I want if I don’t want to do a job I  dont do it , if I decide to take the day off I don’t have to ask anyone I just do it , I love the flexibility having run my own businesses for  well over  30 years and master of my own destiny , not reliant on a boss that might go bust or make me redundant ???

The reason I get up is to make money so I can spend on things that make my working life a lot easier. Two of us were 8hrs PW a massive driveway and everything else. Only got 80% done so I'm back tomorrow to finish it off. Great day for it, snow, hail and rain but never really noticed it with all the gear on. They had just finished tarring the road so I was hoping to PW into the outside drain. Within 10mins the drain was blocked and I thought here we go again. Opened up drain and started bailing out the water and it was half full of tar. Another 30mins breaking up the tar and pulling it all out so the drain could work. I always get these jobs I'm noticing, the customer and I was wondering how many more drains did they brush their tar into? ?

Honestly, I have to drag myself out of bed most mornings. Nothing to do with work (I love this job), depression or anything like that. I just absolutely HATE getting up ? even on holidays although it's not so bad then. If I could change one aspect of my life/personality in that way, it would be to be able to bounce out of bed as soon as that alarm goes off. I HATE morning people! ?
Haha! Yeah, I'm the same. I'm like death warmed up in the mornings. Wife brings me a cup of tea in bed. Conversation is out of the question. Takes me twenty minutes to be able to communicate in anything other than a series of low grunts. ?

It's all down to the age demographic that gets to see it, clearly no one over the age of 40 saw it up to that point.
Ahem! Sixty five years of age. Can usually go eight hours before starting to get desperate. Bladder of a desert camel?.

Comes from the training that goes with most of my life spent working and playing where more often than not it's not easy to find a suitable place. Road and utility works, artic driving, sea kayaking. ?

A holiday in the Scottish Highlands. Weekend trips to Dolgellau. Weekend trips to the Lake District. Nice meals out. A couple of weeks on the Greek mainland.........?

Back