Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Taking payments over the phone best platform?

Can anyone recommend a platform that's able to process payments over the phone via voice? Sumup we have but doesn't provide that service. I've heard of stripe is it? Do they also by any chance do a reoccurring charge ?

Totally aware of gocardless we have a fair amount on that.

But I just stage just want the facility to take payments over the phone and if you can somehow make them reoccurring that will be even better.

Any suggestions please let me know!

Can anyone recommend a platform that's able to process payments over the phone via voice? Sumup we have but doesn't provide that service. I've heard of stripe is it? Do they also by any chance do a reoccurring charge ?

But I just stage just want the facility to take payments over the phone and if you can somehow make them reoccurring that will be even better.

We are window cleaners and not many of us have business' that require that level of payment accepting technology.

We still collect a few but most are either cash or bacs. That's good enough for us. We have only had 2 people asking if we accept credit card payments. One was mother-in-law so she doesn't count. In actuality both of those jobs are easy to give up. ?

We are window cleaners and not many of us have business' that require that level of payment accepting technology.

We still collect a few but most are either cash or bacs. That's good enough for us. We have only had 2 people asking if we accept credit card payments. One was mother-in-law so she doesn't count. In actuality both of those jobs are easy to give up. ?
It's very necessary for me currently taking about 60% in payments on credit card. The rest is bank transfer and direct debit.

We are very busy so definitely want to try to figure out a way how to collect payments over the phone.

Maybe izettle? I know sumup dont as that's who we use now.

It's very necessary for me currently taking about 60% in payments on credit card. The rest is bank transfer and direct debit.

We are very busy so definitely want to try to figure out a way how to collect payments over the phone.

Maybe izettle? I know sumup dont as that's who we use now.
If you are using GC direct debit, then I simply wouldn't entertain the pia custys insisting on card payments bacs are straight forward or direct debit even easier to set up, why should you have to sit on the end of a phone processing 100's of payments each month

If you are using GC direct debit, then I simply wouldn't entertain the pia custys insisting on card payments bacs are straight forward or direct debit even easier to set up, why should you have to sit on the end of a phone processing 100's of payments each month
These are for people who dont want to go on GC etc.

Is there a company out there?

How do bacs payments work? Do you just give them your account number and they ring their bank or go online and request a payment? Always wondered and if its that easy I would offer as a payment method as well 

Cheers 

How do bacs payments work? Do you just give them your account number and they ring their bank or go online and request a payment? Always wondered and if its that easy I would offer as a payment method as well 

Cheers 
Give them the name of your bank account, name on your debit card, sort code and account number and ask them to put their address as reference. It's a free service and very easy to keep track of payment.

Cheers 
A bacs payment requires account number, sort code, and now account name. The customer sets you up as someone they can pay via online banking. Then you clean windows and give them the invoice, they go online to their bank and instruct the bank to pay you. 

Gocardless uses a direct debit. Customer sets thing us via Gocardless using your 'go cardless' details. Then once you have cleaned you request payment from Gocardless. They send custy email saying they will be taking payment in 5 days. Then about 5 days later you get your money minus Gocardless fees. 

These are for people who dont want to go on GC etc.
That's your issue, I had this around 6-7 years ago people didn't want to so they got dropped, I haven't given them any other option for years,  it's GC or nowt, 

Lots more people are now aware of GoCardless I don't have anyone not sign up to GC in the last few days new jobs have been really pleased to sign up because of the simplicity of it all. 

If you have customers mobile numbers you can text them a link with Izettle  

That's your issue, I had this around 6-7 years ago people didn't want to so they got dropped, I haven't given them any other option for years,  it's GC or nowt, 

Lots more people are now aware of GoCardless I don't have anyone not sign up to GC in the last few days new jobs have been really pleased to sign up because of the simplicity of it all. 

If you have customers mobile numbers you can text them a link with Izettle  
I know a lot of people are only using this option and generally people are a bit more open to it these days. Hence why we have a fair amount already. Just wondering do you sign up for them I heard some people take bank account number sort code and literally do it for them because people tend to put it aside and forget or you just send them the link yourself etc? 

Regarding sending the link to pay it's no good need to take payments when someone calls up this is literally for a one off before we send a van not for a recurring customer those ofcourse get reminders.

So looks like off the top of everyone's head there isn't my company anyone can recommend for now? Perhapes I'll have keep googling and update later 

Last edited by a moderator:
I know a lot of people are only using this option and generally people are a bit more open to it these days. Hence why we have a fair amount already. Just wondering do you sign up for them I heard some people take bank account number sort code and literally do it for them because people tend to put it aside and forget or you just send them the link yourself etc? 
You shouldn't/can't sign a custy up to GC yourself using their bank details could be illegal even setting up payments on someone else's bank account,

I have had a dedicated payments page on my website they are pointed towards my page to sign up once they have I get an email from GC with there name address and email, copy and paste into Cleaner Planner then sync with GC it's as easy as A,B,C

Edit.. 
       I think you are making things far more complicated for yourself than needs be, people will ring you 99.9% of the time via their mobile so I don't get why you can't simply text them a pay-link after the phone conversation.

Regarding sending the link to pay it's no good need to take payments when someone calls up this is literally for a one off before we send a van not for a recurring customer those ofcourse get reminders.

So looks like off the top of everyone's head there isn't my company anyone can recommend for now? Perhapes I'll have keep googling and update later 
Have a chat with your local takeaway Chinese, kebab or any who deliver is probably your easiest route.

Just as a word of warning re telephone payments. I spent over 15 years in the credit/debit card industry educating on this.

There is literally no protection for you as the merchant,on any payment taken over the phone.

Should a customer claim that they didn't authorise a payment to be taken from their account, they can obtain their money back under chargeback regulations. This will not only mean loss of the funds but you will also have a chargeback fee added from your payment provider or processor for the privilege. 

No amount of paperwork/ contract or verbal confirmation can prevent that from happening or will allow to reclaim the funds via card payment. The banks won't necessarily tell you this and although extremely unfair and biased in favour of the cardholder this can and does very regularly happen.

The argument is that you cannot 100% prove that the person on the end of the phone is the cardholder or an authorised user of said card.

Having worked within the industry and seeing first hand the potential for huge risk I would personally not contemplate taking telephone payments. 

Obviously this is worst case scenario and you may take payments without any issue for many years, I just wanted to make people aware of the risks. 

Just as a word of warning re telephone payments. I spent over 15 years in the credit/debit card industry educating on this.

There is literally no protection for you as the merchant,on any payment taken over the phone.

Should a customer claim that they didn't authorise a payment to be taken from their account, they can obtain their money back under chargeback regulations. This will not only mean loss of the funds but you will also have a chargeback fee added from your payment provider or processor for the privilege. 

No amount of paperwork/ contract or verbal confirmation can prevent that from happening or will allow to reclaim the funds via card payment. The banks won't necessarily tell you this and although extremely unfair and biased in favour of the cardholder this can and does very regularly happen.

The argument is that you cannot 100% prove that the person on the end of the phone is the cardholder or an authorised user of said card.

Having worked within the industry and seeing first hand the potential for huge risk I would personally not contemplate taking telephone payments. 

Obviously this is worst case scenario and you may take payments without any issue for many years, I just wanted to make people aware of the risks. 
It's exactly the same with direct debit's as well if someone is going to be so unscrupulous they would have to lie to their bank, 

Direct debit wise since 2014 I have processed many 1,000's of payments and only had one person ask for a chargeback via their bank and there was nothing I could do, all for the sake of £10 the guy ripped me off

It's exactly the same with direct debit's as well if someone is going to be so unscrupulous they would have to lie to their bank, 

Direct debit wise since 2014 I have processed many 1,000's of payments and only had one person ask for a chargeback via their bank and there was nothing I could do, all for the sake of £10 the guy ripped me off
Yes it unfortunately is. Like anything you get people who have no qualms in ripping others off. The banks have little to no interest in investigating their customers fraud and take their word as gospel.

The vast majority of people are genuine. Unfortunately from working with fraud for years and seeing the devastate effect it can have on businesses it's made me very aware of the minority.  

In our line of work the chances are slim, the amount of takeaways for instance that are forced to close due to this is scary.

This is correct. You need to obtain signed proof from the customer that they paid you. It is very very rare though.

Stripe has a dashboard you can use. You log in to the desktop version, go to payments and then click the create payment button in the top right hand corner. It is meant to be used as an absolute last resort. Not sure what, if anything, they would be if the bulk of someones payments were taken this way.

I use Zettle. Just get custy to tap there card and away you go. Always handy with new first clean custys with no previous payment history. 
 Since PayPal took them over iZettle is just Zettle now. 

You shouldn't/can't sign a custy up to GC yourself using their bank details could be illegal even setting up payments on someone else's bank account,

I have had a dedicated payments page on my website they are pointed towards my page to sign up once they have I get an email from GC with there name address and email, copy and paste into Cleaner Planner then sync with GC it's as easy as A,B,C

Edit.. 
       I think you are making things far more complicated for yourself than needs be, people will ring you 99.9% of the time via their mobile so I don't get why you can't simply text them a pay-link after the phone conversation.
Actually asked gocardless about this and said not illegal if I recall but they didn't recommend it it however I do know of a company that is taking customers details and entering in themselves.

When your canvassing then you send out 10 people gocardless about 2 of them will do it.

It's different when they call you though 

I can see why that company is doing it because a lot of people will just put it on the back burner . So you have to call them again and again or just changed their mind and not want it at all. Obviously this isn't the case when someone specifically calls and wants regular window cleaning they tend to follow the link which we have on site also so I can relate to that with yourself.

The payment link isn't bad however it's not as good as taking the payment there and then. Mainly because people will have the payment link and do it later but possibly just again forget about it or change their mind and once you start calling to remind them to "please pay" just like gocardless it shows a sign of desperation or something could be wrong and then the customer backs out, but in actual fact all you're doing is trying to to grow the business.

Totally aware of the chargeback rules that can happen on any platform including gocardless I've never actually had a single charge back yet fortunately. Totally aware they just take the buyers side. Although it was only £8 for yourself it's more the principle.

It's more than ideal to just literally process the payment done and dusted that way

Meanwhile that wasn't bad advice really to call up a takeaway and see what they use. Will also check out striped as someone mentioned

Until then the payment link will have to do

Back